Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1980 Monte Carlo with something to prove

moonlite5hadow

ok, so i built this Monte on a dare. i was going to do it in a three wheel like my buddies 1:1. he had the kid too, wanted an engine, andy kind, cause he messed up the kit one. i had an 05 mustang engine sitting around, gave that to him, and he dared me to top that. i think i did, you tell me.

The story on this, and why its a vert/roadster. i had this mocked up in a three wheel, and in the process of re-arranging my room, i had a line of my built models on the floor on a wooden shelf. you can tell where this is going. i was putting together a new bookshelf, and one of the panels fell and landed flat on my monte. the roof was messed up beyond my repair capabilities. luckily, the VERY next day, i was craving some of jack in the box's awesome tacos, and on the way there, i saw a Red Pearl 1980 Monte Carlo with the roof chopped off and i loved it immediately. came home, cut it up, and went after my friends challenge to top his mustang powered low-low.

i added a supercharger, as anyone can see, to another 05 mustang engine i had, did some surgery and took some creative license, especially with the side-exit exhaust. its not meant to be realistic, just a conversational piece on my shelf. as it was a bet, its nowhere near my normal build or paint qualities, but i still like it.

this i think is definitely a culture bash more than a kit bash. i hope i dont offend anyone... or maybe i do! :D

DSC04958.jpg

DSC04959.jpg

DSC04960.jpg

DSC04961.jpg

DSC04962.jpg

DSC04964.jpg

Whoa- this kit actually CAN look good! Way to prove a lot of people (including me) wrong! Maybe I won't build mine into a dirt track bomber now...

in all honesty, it was a total pain. i hated how they did the interior, engine bay and engine, grille, incorrect tail lights (inner most areas should be clear reverse lights) and overall just thick, clunky plastic. even before it got mashed it was just going to be the chassis, interior, body and wheels. i only added the engine on my buddy's bet. i would never build this kit again... tho i MAY try trumpeter's version of this Monte.

is that the MPC kit? i just picked up a 1980 monte today and it is the mpc and i dont know if i can do a lowrider with it cause all the suspension is molded in and i dont want that much custom work on it.

yes, mine was the MPC kit. it disgusted me. fortunately, its my first real attempt at a lowrider, so i was going more for the overall look as opposed to physical accuracy, so the wheels are just attatched to the chassis; no susp. modifications.