Model Cars Magazine Forum

sanding blocks?

Should i go buy them or make my own? I can't decide whether to use the sanding blocks or just regular sandpaper. i've got 400 up to 3000. By the way, will someone please ease my mind and tell me im not asking too many stupid questions? lol, i feel like i'm askin a lot.

There are never too many questions!

Sanding blocks can be made from pieces of wood and many things found around the house and garage for various shapes on curved surfaces. I do have a small foam block that came with a polishing kit that I do like using. There are many types of sanding blocks for sale and many find then useful, I'm sure. I find flat pieces of wood, wood dowels and just rolled or folded sandpaper satisfies all my needs.

Blocks are good for leveling surfaces out, weather from putty or just irregularities in the plastic body itself.

Edited by Foxer

too many stupid questions? lol, i feel like i'm askin a lot.

No such thing.

I feel there are two ways to learn....

Dive in and learn while making mistakes and eventually, you get it down. Or, ask someone and eliminate some, if not all, of the mistakes as well as getting ideas and inspiration along the way.

Les

Should i go buy them or make my own? I can't decide whether to use the sanding blocks or just regular sandpaper. i've got 400 up to 3000. By the way, will someone please ease my mind and tell me im not asking too many stupid questions? lol, i feel like i'm askin a lot.

Make them.... ;)

and with 18 posts....your just getting started :lol:

Hey man look at like this for the questions.The only dumb or stupid question is the one you don't ask.We all have things to offer and that is why you are here to help curve the learning curve to your benefit.Ask away that why we are all here to learn and share.I make sanding blocks and buy sanding blocks.I bought a set a few years ago at a wood working shop that are shaped some have arcs cut into them giving a rounded sanding surface some are angled some have arches cut into them and they have flat surfaces too.I make em out of balsa wood,Plastic,popsicle sticks, tooth picks etc.You can get inexpensive sanding sticks at a Beauty supply shop on the fingernail isle.It can sometimes be a one stop shop.sanding stuff,Body fabricating supplies "acrylic nail tips" and paint "nail polish".

Recently ran into sanding pads (can't remember the name, threw out the package, but there's a goofy-looking moose on the package). They're finishing grit pads and sooo nice to use. They're cushy/soft, about 2" square and makes sanding a breeze because they put the pressure on a winder surface and conform slightly. For your other general sanding needs, sanding sticks! I use the Squadron ones because they have some give in the form of cushion as well and make nice work of curvy parts as well as sanding surfaces flat. They're come in packs of varying grits.

Edited by beefheart22

First- KUDOS for wanting to use sanding blocks! You will get a much better finish on you model because of it.

Sticks are good, but personally I like the that hard back for the final surface. I use any block I can find and shape. Wooden clothes pins are great for smaller surfaces. Remeber to consider the size of the area you want to smoother. Covering more is better.

Also consider your stroke when sanding. Helps keep you from oversandingand digging a shallow holes.

Go have fun.