Model Cars Magazine Forum

'Cars' Mercury

pstreet

Couldn't pass this one up in the Wal-Mart clearance section a few months back.

Progress has been only when i get a few minutes, or when another project doesnt have my attention. So far ive chopped the top, drilled the visor, cut out the windows and tonite made patch panels for the roof holes. Im not sure what i want to do with the siren. part of me says leave it even though it wont be repainted as a sheriffs car. The other part of me says trim it off and fill it. What do you guys think?

Heres a link to the original piece, as i didn't take early pictures.

[url="http://www.entertainmentearth.com/images/%5CAUTOIMAGES%5CMTN5541lg.jpg"

Here it is so far...

mercdrvfront.jpg

mercdeck.jpg

mercrear.jpg

mercroofpatch.jpg

mercvisorhole.jpg

mercdrvsidenolight.jpg

Edited by pstreet

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the comments guys.

i think im going to try something ive never tried before. ive got it in my head now that it needs a 'finkish' arm coming out of the window, siren in hand. like an undercover cop from any 70's-80's movie, when they're about slap the siren on the roof before they slam the gas.

ive started a crude skeleton out of armature wire so far for the arm, just need to head to the craft store to see what kind of modeling putty i need.

As far as the sectioning, ive thought long and hard about it since i got the darn thing. The only way i can figure to do it without never ending bodywork would be to section it below the belt line since the rest of the car is too bubbly to ever line back up perfectly without far too much work. I agree it needs it, i just need to figure out the logistics of it with the body mounts.

• 2 weeks later...

well after eyeballing this the other night, i decided to cut a 5/16 wedge out of the side.

I also drilled a few holes in the hood for some stacks. The body should come back together nicely after i take a chunk out of the hood side and do some filing and sanding, i hope.

mercsection.jpg

Tonight, i made some stacks for it out of some aluminum tubing.

They're just a snug fit, no glue. So they can be adjusted from about a 1/4 inch to an inch in height, until i finish them up and decide how i want them.

I've also started on opening up the grill.

P8140003.jpg

P8140005.jpg

P8140001.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
well after eyeballing this the other night, i decided to cut a 5/16 wedge out of the side.

I also drilled a few holes in the hood for some stacks. The body should come back together nicely after i take a chunk out of the hood side and do some filing and sanding, i hope.

mercsection.jpg

I was going to suggest that you find one of the superchargers from a "Muscle Machine" & put that under the hood on a platform with it sticking out through a hole in the hood. since you are going with a slight "Fink" thing you might even look for a set of their Pro Street type rear tires & wheels.

Just a thought from the Peanut gallery.

I was going to suggest that you find one of the superchargers from a "Muscle Machine" & put that under the hood on a platform with it sticking out through a hole in the hood. since you are going with a slight "Fink" thing you might even look for a set of their Pro Street type rear tires & wheels.

Just a thought from the Peanut gallery.

That is a fantastic idea! Thanks man.

I was looking at the diecasts at the hobby shop the other week, they had a few that had the Dave Deal look. Not sure if they were the muscle machines line. What ever they are, ill definitely have to give them a closer look next time.

Thanks for the great idea Horsepower.

I found the 69' Boss 302 Mustang to take some parts from. Ive de-chromed the engine and repainted it silver. The scoop wasn't phased by the purple pond, it actually made it brighter. The wheels and tires will be a great fit once i build some ladder bars/axle/housing/shocks for the rear and modify the front wheels to sit at a drooped position.

P9030001.jpg

P9040012.jpg

P9050016.jpg

P9050018.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys.

Last night I started on the rear suspension.

I cut the pumpkin off of the Muscle Machines car since it holds the axle in place nicely, and then boxed it in. It looks funky in the picture but the boxing around the pumpkin has a purposely bent look to it. Ive also started making the axle brackets for the ladder bar setup, one half is on in the picture. Aluminum tubing was cut for the axles, as well as a copper rod that serves as the new inner axle.

P9080030.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Had a chance to lay some paint down. Its duplicolor retro red over a duplicolor gloss white base. The clear has been drying for about an hour at this point, the trim got attacked a bit but nothing a bit of touch up wont fix. Here's a quick mock-up.

carsmercpaintleftside.jpg

carsmercpaintleftrear.jpg

I'm reeeallly likin' it! The red is definitely the right color for this one, still need to put the eyeballs in the windshield area, just make sure that they are pinpoint pupils & bloodshot. Don't rush the clear, it will be worth the wait.