Model Cars Magazine Forum

J.H. Rose Trucking Special

curt raitz

J_H-vi.jpg

This is the last in a series of Indy Roadsters I've built for a friend over the past couple of years.

He sent me a bunch of Watson Roadster kits along with vacuum formed bodies to build different versions of these roadsters that raced at Indy in the early 60's.

This particular roadster is unique because the engine is mounted on the right side and the driver sits along the left side. At first I thought this conversion would be a problem, but it was not as difficult as I expected.

P4023871-vi.jpg

Vacuum formed clear plastic body of the J.H. Rose Trucking Spl

P4023877-vi.jpg

All of the parts from the Watson Roadster kit, aftermarket tires, aluminum velocity stacks and you can almost see the clear vacuum formed body.

P4023870-vi.jpg

The engine is "layed over" on this roadster, which required seperating the tranny from the engine so it could be "layed over" to the left

P4033885-vi.jpg

Chassis w/ roll bar hoop moved to left and engine bracket moved to rightside

P6204130-vi.jpg

P6254143-vi.jpg

had to shortened the fuel tank to fit under the rear skin

P6204128-vi.jpg

Chassis painted and detailed

p6204121-vi.jpg

Engine ready to be installed

P6254131-vi.jpg

Tires and wheels ready to be mounted

More to come... B)

Wonderful! I always loved the final lay-down engined roadster with those gigantic Firestone Indy tires towering over the slim line body. Real end-of-an-era engineering. And when you get this sucker done you need to photgraph it in that classic Indianapolis front 3/4 view. They must have had the ground marked out and the tripod permanently mounted to the ground. Every picture is virtually identical!

What is the basic donor kit you are using for the chassis and engine? That motor details out very nicely and the chassis looks pretty dang good. More, more, more!!! B)

Curt,

Is there anything that you won't build? :lol:

Anything that crosses my bench that even remotely resembles something made from a vacuform process, (which is typically some type of discardable packaging material), is only there momentarily while in route to the central repository. Narrow vision? No. Too busy and no room to "store" any more stuff? Yes.

There is no one I know that has such a wide range of topics that they'll build as you do!! Not even Jerry!!

The frame mods look really good. Keep up the GREAT work, my old friend!!

BTW: It's just about pizza time again...let me know when you have time to get up this way...

Later,

Wonderful! I always loved the final lay-down engined roadster with those gigantic Firestone Indy tires towering over the slim line body. Real end-of-an-era engineering. And when you get this sucker done you need to photgraph it in that classic Indianapolis front 3/4 view. They must have had the ground marked out and the tripod permanently mounted to the ground. Every picture is virtually identical!

What is the basic donor kit you are using for the chassis and engine? That motor details out very nicely and the chassis looks pretty dang good. More, more, more!!! :lol:

Bernard...here be the donor kit:

P4274530-vi.jpg

Looks great!

That kit can also be found in a late '80s AMT "Indy 500" set with the '63 Lotus roadster and the '74 McLaren. It's not too hard to find, even at a reasonable price.

My question is,

Where can one find those bodies? I visited the IMS museum during 500 weekend this year and got the itch to build a bunch of Indy cars...

How do you get those vacuform bodies to come out so good???

(You know how much I like working with resin and vacuform stuff...)

After you do 2 - 3 of'em ya get a lot better at it, plus the exterior finish on this body was really smooth and I'm good! ;):P;)

Looks great!

My question is,

Where can one find those bodies?

I did not find them - they found me! :wub: They showed up one day in an UPS box with a bunch of Watson Indy roadster kits.

The guy who sent them said he had them for at least 20 years and does not remember where he got'em :(

I really doubt they can be found anywhere...that's too bad, cuz if ya do not mind messin' with the vacuum form plastic it gives a modeler the oppurtunity to build varying versions of these roadsters.

The decals are on the roadster and she's ready to go "Underglass"

couldn't get the bonnet to "snug down"...that dang clear plastic is not easy to work with :blink:

thankfully this is the last clear plastic vacuum form conversion I'll be building :rolleyes:

P8054343-vi.jpg

P8054337-vi.jpg

P8054349-vi.jpg

P8054345-vi.jpg

P8054344-vi.jpg

P8054350-vi.jpg

P8054355-vi.jpg

P8054359-vi.jpg

Thanx for lookin... :lol:

Another very nice build, my old friend!!

Other than the small problem with the misalignment on the hood, this thing looks pretty good!!

You know that I'd have circular filed it long before I got it done if it was my build!!

I don't know how you maintain the energy and enthusiasm to see your way through to finishing at kit like that...my hat is off to you, again!!

Later,

P8054355-vi.jpg

Sigh.... :wub: :wub: :wub:

The usual aesthitico-philisophical ruminations will have to wait 'til it's officially Under Glass... :P

Just as an FYI, Norm Veber at Replicas and Minitaures Co of Maryland has re-released the old Etzel Speed Classics Offy 220/270 white metal kit as an all-resin set in his usual jaw-droppingly high quality. I just got mine today. Here's some pics Lyle Willits provided:

IMG_6983-vi.jpg

IMG_6982-vi.jpg

You know that I'd have circular filed it long before I got it done if it was my build!!

I don't know how you maintain the energy and enthusiasm to see your way through to finishing at kit like that...my hat is off to you, again!!

Thanx ol' buddy

ya know if I was building these vacumm form conversions for myself...the would've ended up in the "roond file" as well :wub:

but...i built these for Bill Wolfe, DDS from Albuquerque, NM. He watched these roadsters race at Indy when he was a youngster. He sent me a bunch of Watson Roadster kits and vacuum conversions and really, really wanted a few built models of these roadsters.

So I built'em for him! It was a challenge but o'er all me thinks they came out OK...I know he likes the models I've sent him so far.

P8054355-vi.jpg

Sigh.... :wub::wub::wub:

The usual aesthitico-philisophical ruminations will have to wait 'til it's officially Under Glass... :P

Just as an FYI, Norm Veber at Replicas and Minitaures Co of Maryland has re-released the old Etzel Speed Classics Offy 220/270 white metal kit as an all-resin set in his usual jaw-droppingly high quality. I just got mine today. Here's some pics Lyle Willits provided:

IMG_6983-vi.jpg

IMG_6982-vi.jpg

Gosh I sure do miss the Eztel Speed stuff...Chris did some remarkable stuff

that's s'sposed to be the best Offy engine ever, glad Norm is "re-issuing" it :P

...Norm Veber at Replicas and Minitaures Co of Maryland has re-released the old Etzel Speed Classics Offy 220/270 white metal kit as an all-resin set in his usual jaw-droppingly high quality...

IMG_6983-vi.jpg

Now if all resin kits looked that good I probably wouldn't stay away from it as much as I do!!

...i built these for Bill Wolfe, DDS from Albuquerque, NM...

I only hope that he truly appreciates how much energy it takes to make them look this good!!

Nice work, Curt. This takes me back to my teens when Indy was one of the most exciting forms of racing on the planet. Tons of inginuity and variations in the cars back then. The modern day "spec" racers just don't measure up.