Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need a little help.

Working on an I H Paystar 5000 dump truck. Need some detail picks of the I H V8 turbo in that truck so I can run some lines and stuff to add some details.

Also need an alternator for it. I removed mine to paint, and I can't find it anywhere. It's like it got up and walked off. I'm the only one at my work area, so I know someone did not take it or knock it off. I went over the floor using my flash light and it's just gone. It's an AMT/Ertl kit.

Could use some better looking aftermarket horns for the roof and some antennas and a cb radio to deck out the interior. Gauge decals would be nice too.

Here is a link to a 1991 Car Modeler article about detailing the International V800 engine: International V800

As far as the other stuff, you might want to look here: Sourkraut's Model Trucks - Cab Accessories

Personally, I don't know of anyone that makes gauge decals in 1/25 for trucks; however, that being said The Model Car Garage does make gauge detail sets. Maybe you can find something here: The Model Car Garage - Gouge Detail Sets

Good luck.

Also the air vent on the side of the hood is wrong, but it is an easy fix. The instructions show three horizontal slots, the should be vertical (up and down). All you have to do is sand off the locating pins then attach the intake the correct way. I also found some expanded metal screen from a fryer spatter guard that I put behind the grill.

You can see how the intake should sit, you can also kind of see the screen I used behind the grill and intake.

paystar9.jpg

I like the kit, I've got two or three more in the stash to build someday.

That one looks good. And thanks for the info. I was thinking of using some screen mesh I have behind the grill, but what you have looks even better. Found some dump truck and const. truck decals on that site you posted the link too. And I ordered some gauge faces from MCG too. That should wake it up a bit. I would not mind getting another one to make a tractor out of instead of a short frame dump truck. There's a lot of sanding and painting with over 300 pieces, but it should look real good when finished. I think I'll stick with the red cab and chrome and the aluminum dump bed.

• 4 weeks later...
That one looks good. And thanks for the info. I was thinking of using some screen mesh I have behind the grill, but what you have looks even better. Found some dump truck and const. truck decals on that site you posted the link too. And I ordered some gauge faces from MCG too. That should wake it up a bit. I would not mind getting another one to make a tractor out of instead of a short frame dump truck. There's a lot of sanding and painting with over 300 pieces, but it should look real good when finished. I think I'll stick with the red cab and chrome and the aluminum dump bed.

Now you're making me wish I hadn't sold that kit to you! Sounds like fun. However, since I'm one of those perrenial non-finishers, I probably would never finish it. Right now I'm painting bodies for building over the winter when I can't paint in the garage.

Gary

Garry, it's not a bad kit to build at all as long as you pay attention to the sheets so you get everything assembled correctly. I got a good start on it and then kinda put it on hold to finish up some others. I usually start several at one time and as I run out of supplies, I switch to another kit while I'm waiting on stuff to show up.

I have the engine completed, batteries and boxes assembled, the dump bed is almost complete and needs paint before I finish it. I like the swirls in the dump bed and I'm going to shoot it with AlClad aluminum to bring out those swirls. I've got a lot of sub assemblies painted as well. When I get the engine details finished, then I'll be ready to assemble the frame. The engine is trapped by the frame, so it needs to be finished before assembly of the frame.

Garry, it's not a bad kit to build at all as long as you pay attention to the sheets so you get everything assembled correctly. I got a good start on it and then kinda put it on hold to finish up some others. I usually start several at one time and as I run out of supplies, I switch to another kit while I'm waiting on stuff to show up.

I have the engine completed, batteries and boxes assembled, the dump bed is almost complete and needs paint before I finish it. I like the swirls in the dump bed and I'm going to shoot it with AlClad aluminum to bring out those swirls. I've got a lot of sub assemblies painted as well. When I get the engine details finished, then I'll be ready to assemble the frame. The engine is trapped by the frame, so it needs to be finished before assembly of the frame.

DWC43....

Using Alclad polished aluminum will be a good choice for the bed. Just be sure to have a "bigger" bottle for the airbrush when "spraying"...

Here was a truck I did some time ago with Alclad...

DSC00457a.jpg

Good Luck with your build.

Kurt McLucas

DWC43....

Using Alclad polished aluminum will be a good choice for the bed. Just be sure to have a "bigger" bottle for the airbrush when "spraying"...

Here was a truck I did some time ago with Alclad...

DSC00457a.jpg

Good Luck with your build.

Kurt McLucas

Thanks for posting that. Gave me an idea. I might fab up a bed cover for it after seeing your dump. I have a couple 1 oz. bottles of Alclad already. Think it will be enough? Any tips on laying it down. I did a boat/car type trailer with it once and it turned out pretty good. I was not going for the polished effect though, just a factory look after looking at one at a dealer.

DWC43,

The Paystar is an excellent truck to build. I think the Paystar semi tractor was the first truck kit I built about 30 years ago. When I got back into modelling about 4 or 5 years ago the Paystar dump truck and mixer were some of the first that I built. The kits are pretty straight forward and very versatile (Just look at how many Tim has used for all kinds of truck builds). I remember one little problem though, be carefull with the fit of the dump box to the frame. On mine I had to modify the position of the hinges to allow the dump box to sit further back so the tail gate was behind the ends of the frame.

I have some of the Alclad products but have not used them yet, but have plans in the future to try it out.

Kurt,

Thanks for posting the photo of the Pete. Its great to be reminded of some of your great builds from the past. You need to get them out in the daylight more often. Truly Inspirational stuff!!

Best Wishes

Dave