Model Cars Magazine Forum

It's Good To Being King (Again)

Gregg

I will post pics tonight.

We are looking forward to these two Tom Daniel reissue kits indeed!!!! It seems that Tom Daniel will be doing very well here in the next few months with these two coming back out.It should be a real financial shot in the arm for Revell,too!!!

I will buy all the new showrod plastic that I can!!!!!

It is another way that I can tell ebay to kiss me where the sun don't shine!!!! (LOL)!

<_<

I'm having a hard time understanding the excitement about these 2 kits. Can someone explain it to me?

It's nostalgia.

These are two of the kits that were first released years ago when model cars were still mainly aimed at kids. A lot of today's adult modelers built them as a kid "back in the day," so having them re-issued is sort of like going back in time to when you were a kid. There's nothing particularly special or noteworthy about either of them as far as model kits go... it's all about "memories."

I'm having a hard time understanding the excitement about these 2 kits. Can someone explain it to me?

I agree. Show rods have been historically bad selling kits, they may be popular where there first reissued, but after a while they begin to become dust collectors. look at the AMT Beverly Hillbillies kit. when it first was reissued 5-6 years ago for the first few weeks it was a big seller, but then after that it sat on Hobby shops shelves. I saw a bunch of them in a discount store a few years ago for $5.

These came out before I started building. However, I've always liked the look/style of the Rommel's Rod and have pre-ordered one for myself. No nostalgia involved. Just cool in my opinion.

Chris

I'm 29 so no nostalgia involved here either, but I've seen the kit on eBay a couple of times and I just wanted, I think it is just so cool. But they were way too expensive, and the stories about wether the molds were destroyed, made me even want them more.

And now i can have them, when is the release date for the little people again?

I'm 29 so no nostalgia involved here either, but I've seen the kit on eBay a couple of times and I just wanted, I think it is just so cool. But they were way too expensive, and the stories about wether the molds were destroyed, made me even want them more.

And now i can have them, when is the release date for the little people again?

I just got off the phone with a Hobby shop in Indiana, he has the tracking number and they are due any minute and he is going to mail me my 3 Rommel's Rods in the morning.

The Taxi is next month or Oct I believe.

Russell

Although crazyjim's question has been answered, I'd like to add this. Many of Tom Daniel's models have been rereleased over the years (Red Baron, Beer Wagon, Pie Wagon, Paddy Wagon, Garbage Truck) so they are not that scarce. But, to the best of my knowledge, the Rommel's Rod and Tijuana Taxi have not been seen since around '74 (correct me if I am wrong). They came to us during the Laugh-In era, when it was "okay" to poke fun at groups. Like many of us, I wrote to Monogram, pleading for reissues of these boyhood favorites (I was 12 when they came out in '69) but was told the "molds were no longer available." I thought they simply were being politically correct, so I suggested they remove the offensive swastika from the RR spare tire cover and call it the "Desert Storm Rod" or something like that, and rename the TJ Taxi to the "Texas Taxi." Fell on deaf ears.

Although many people question the value of these cars (including the 1:1 and 1:25 Bathtub Buggy), I am happy to finally see them return. I buy a few at a time -- keeping a couple for myself and giving one each to my cousin and a good friend who are the same age and remembered building these as kids.

And to answer blubaja, I do not believe the Taxi ever came with figures (except for the roof chicken!).

JB

www.lancasterheroes.com

I just got off the phone with a Hobby shop in Indiana, he has the tracking number and they are due any minute and he is going to mail me my 3 Rommel's Rods in the morning.

The Taxi is next month or Oct I believe.

Russell

Hey,Russell,I live in Indiana.Where is this Hobby Shop at in Indiana?

Do they have the Rommel's Rod now?

My local Hobbytown USA expects them by the end of this month.

People either like showrods,or they don't.Tom Daniel's kits were fun and simple to build as a kid,and they are fun and simple to build as an adult.He is an inspiration to me,and I have communicated with him via Email.He is a terrifc person,and he literally saved Monogram back in the day.So call me "nostalgic" if you will,but those of us who have been around this hobby for a long time can appreciate these showrods coming back out.Anything that helps sell models in today's economy is a good thing!!!!That's my opinion,for what it's worth.

:angry:

Hey,Russell,I live in Indiana.Where is this Hobby Shop at in Indiana?

Do they have the Rommel's Rod now?

My local Hobbytown USA expects them by the end of this month.

People either like showrods,or they don't.Tom Daniel's kits were fun and simple to build as a kid,and they are fun and simple to build as an adult.He is an inspiration to me,and I have communicated with him via Email.He is a terrifc person,and he literally saved Monogram back in the day.So call me "nostalgic" if you will,but those of us who have been around this hobby for a long time can appreciate these showrods coming back out.Anything that helps sell models in today's economy is a good thing!!!!That's my opinion,for what it's worth.

:angry:

Oh,I meant the "Rommel's Rod" was expected at the end of the month.The Tijuana Taxi is SUPPOSED to be out in October.I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

Oh,I meant the "Rommel's Rod" was expected at the end of the month.The Tijuana Taxi is SUPPOSED to be out in October.I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

His name is Jason Kite and his number is 574-722-9771 and the hours are from 8 am to 5 pm eastern.

He was supposed to email me that he did get shipment and mine are in the mail, but I have not heard that part yet.

Russell

I think it's inaccurate to say, too, that nostalgia is the only reason people are excited to see these two kits back on the market. A lot of folks (myself included) consider them to be two of TD's cooler designs, and are happy to once again build them ... and hopefully do a better job than we did as kids! :rolleyes:

Exactly my point!

"happy to once again build them ... and hopefully do a better job than we did as kids!"

That's nostalgia. Why deny it? :huh:

Never denied that nostalgia wasn't part of the reason I was glad to have these kits back ...

And, having no desire whatsoever to be sucked into one of those meaningless arguments over semantics that you seem to so enjoy, Harry, that is all I wish to say on the matter! :huh:

Ok, so why exactly are you excited to see these kits reissued, if not nostalgia? And what's wrong with nostalgia, anyway? I never said nostalgia was an invalid reason to look forward to these reissues... I just said that it was the primary reason, in trying to answer the question as to why so many people are ga-ga over these kits being reissued. Obviously adults who built these kits as kids might be glad to see them out again. Nostalgia would be the primary reason that these reissues are getting all the buzz. Nothing wrong with that... so why so defensive?

Meaningless argument over semantics? I don't think so... I just answered the question, no semantics were involved! Sheesh... :rolleyes:

HOW DID SOMETHING SO FUN TURN INTO THIS????? .

EVERYONE HAS SOMETHING THAT "TURNS THEY CRANK OR BLOWS THEIR SKIRT UP" :huh:

FOR SOME OF US, THIS DOES IT - INCLUDING FOR ME.

DOESN'T MATTER WHY, I'M LIKE A LITTLE KID WAITIN FOR SANTA - TOO BAD WE CAN'T SHARE OUR EXCITEMENT HERE WITHOUT SOMEONE TURNING IT INTO AN ISSUE :rolleyes:

Edited by Treehugger Dave

Hey, any model kit that stirs up interest is a good thing for the hobby overall, no matter what the reason, right? ;)

I remember building the Tijuana Taxi as a little kid. It was molded in bright orange, IIR. Also built the Red Baron, the Pie Wagon, the Paddy Wagon and the Boothill Express. Probably others, too, but I can't remember them all. So many models, so few remaining brain cells... :P

If that was meant for me, I don't get it. How did I criticize other people's choices? I just answered the guy's question. Where was the criticism? :blink:

DON'T BE SO SENSITIVE HARRY, THE COMMENT WASN'T MEANT FOR YOU.

SHEEEESH - TOO MANY REACTIVE PEOPLE HERE - THIS IS JUST PLASTIC AND WE'RE SUPPOSED TO BE HAVING FUN HERE :blink::P;):lol: .

Edited by Treehugger Dave