Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Chevelle Wagon

Kyle

I've been making some progress on Revell's '66 Chevelle station wagon so I thought I'd post some pics. This one will be for a local contest in December, but I am notorious for not finishing kits, so I decided to start early. Aftermarket parts include Detail Master flocking, Model Car Garage 66 Chevelle photoetch set, and my own turned aluminum parts.

I have the body painted, polished and foiled. I can't remember what the colour is called, but it's a Dupli-colour laquer. I just need to put some flat or semi-gloss paint on the battery.

ChevelleBody1.jpg

ChevelleBody2.jpg

Here's a single master cylinder and brake booster that I turned on the lathe.

BrakeBooster.jpg

Here's the big block motor. I'm making a 3 piece air cleaner for it. I have the base and filter complete, and just have to make the top.

I also turned the pulleys, oil filter, coil, carb body, starter and solenoid. I'm not sure if I'm really happy with the scratchbuilt carb, but we'll see if it stays. The distributor has the correct firing order.

Engine3-1.jpg

Engine1-1.jpg

To make the air filter, I turned it on the lathe, then added white medical tape for the actual filter, then added the p/e mesh that came in the MCG set. I painted the inside white, but it needs touch-ups.

AirCleaner.jpg

Engine2.jpg

Thanks for looking. All criticism and comments are welcome.

Guest Mustang3.8

Wow, Kyle! That's all i can say! Your metal working skills are just beyond words! Great job. I'd love to have parts like that for some of my builds. :P

Very nice paint and the brake booster and air filter will look awesome.

Not trying to discourage you but for future Chev projects the spark plugs go lower and in between the exhaust manifold ports.

Not a major issue as I made the same mistake on my Impala.

Keep up the great work, look forward to seeing more of this.

Edited by Pat Cardz

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I really enjoy working with the lathe. I make as much as I can for my projects, give some parts to friends, and even sell a little at my local club meetings.

Pat, thanks for the tip about the Chevy spark plug locations. It's those little things which make all of the difference. It's too late to change them now, but I'll keep that in mind for the next bowtie build.

Ron, that is too funny. Great minds think alike, eh?

I'm going with steel wheels and a cowl induction hood. I might make a tach for the dash.

Here are some interior shots. I painted it with Krylon semi-flat black, flocked the floor, added p/e pieces (steering wheel inner, keys + keychain, door handles, window cranks, ss badge, lock cylinders, pedals)

Interior1.jpg

Interior2-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Kyle,

I really like the direction you are going in with your wagon. It took quite a bit of work to convert mine to a replica stock piece, with the small block and Powerglide. I built mine as a replica of the car in the 1966 sales brochure. I have a couple of more of these kits for future projects. I plan to do a '67 Concours wagon conversion with one, and a phantom '66 SS396 Wagon with the other.

If it seems that I hijacked your thread, I didn't intend to, and if you feel I did, I will be happy to remove my post. I put my "Soccer Mom" car there to show the "before" picture. Yours is definitely the "after".

Bill,

I am sorry to hear that someone purloined your kit at the NNL. Funny, I saw one at the hobby shop today. It is an excellent kit.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

WOW!! You just gave me a idea on a filter. Dont like using them. However now I need to try it out! I have plenty of the medical tape, resin filters, so I can cut the top off and paint it, scratch a bottom out of plastic and I have a nice piece of mesh from the craft department!! Your build is doing wonderfull as well. Thanks. Jody

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Ron, I don't think that you hijacked my thread. It's always good to see a nice clean model. In fact, I'd like to see more of it. Do you have a link to more pics?

Jody, using the medical tape as a filter looks really good in the close-up pics, but it's hard to tell to the naked eye. It just looks like white paint.

Bob+Bill, this is the Revell California Wheels '66 Chevelle. It's a good kit so far, everything fits together nicely and the mold is fairly clean.

I'm just working on the undercarriage now, so there's no new pics. I also started on an '07 Shelby GT500 which I'll post in another thread soon.

Lots of nice work all around on this one. The paint looks excellent, as does your detail. I really like the pulleys and air cleaner. Your distributor is nicely done as well. I also noticed the placement of the plug wires. On the passender side of a 396, the plugs are just below and ahead of each exhaust port. On the drivers side they're just below and to the rear of each port. Not between the ports like a small block. I also try to start the number 1 plug on the distributor nipple that is pointed towards the #1 cylinder. That's typically the starting point on a 1:1 engine rebuild when you stab the distributor, prepping for that first time start up. I only mention it because I gather from all the effort you're putting into the detail that you'd want to know for the next one.

Very nice so far. Like everyone else, I've got one of these kits too. I hope it turns out as nice as yours; especially the paint!

• 2 weeks later...

I got some more work done on the Chevelle. I put the windows in, interior in the body and did some work on the chassis and engine bay. I made some exhaust tips, a rad cap and a washer fluid cap on the lathe. I also chose some wheels and tires.

Thanks for looking.

002-1.jpg

005-2.jpg

007.jpg

Thanks again for the comments.

gilsdropshop1 or anyone else - if you need any custom turned aluminum parts, send me a pm and I'll get back to you.

Here are a few new pics. I started to work on the resin hood. It didn't fit very good at all, and I only got it this far after about an hour or sanding, bending and adding plastic.

This side is not too bad (notice the p/e grille too).

Chevelle007.jpg

Chevelle006.jpg

But this side is much worse. I mocked up the front wheel for this one.

Chevelle010.jpg