Model Cars Magazine Forum

$24.00 Monogram '32 Ford kit ?

hey,

Gotta' tell you guys that a trip yesterday to a BIG HOBBY SHOP in Pa. turned up a new '32 Ford Coupe kit by Monogram with a

$24.00 price tag ????? Are these people high, or am I way outta' step with the times ? NO WONDER Hobby Shops are going

belly up ! :lol:;):blink:

Edited by Pete L.

I think the SRP on that kit is $24.95. My LHS started giving me 10% off on Revell kits when they took the big hike. I got my first one there but I see any multiples of this kit coming from Hobby Lobby with 40% off coupons. Please don't blame the Hobby Shops. My Hobby Shop guy was just as horrified (maybe more) by the price hike as I was. I'm sure it's taken a bite out of his sales.

I too have realized that at my LHS that the prices of the revell kits are gettin' a little high. I can still go to Micheals and get one for around $11.00-$12.00 with a coupon. However i still would rather go to my LHS and get them, because of there variety. Micheals only has revell kits and paint. The LHS has fujimi, taimya, pegasus, BMF, and ect. so even if Micheals has a better deal i'll still support the local economy. :lol:

Edited by vizio93

It's like that in Lexington, too. Went to HobbyTown and saw that the '32 was $24.95! What surprised me even more was the fact that the kit I was going there for, the '05 Corvette, was the same price! It's been out a long time but I guess with the recession everyone has to mark their stuff up. It's too bad because I really try to keep my money in the community, but these prices force me to shop Ebay or online retailers. Why pay $25 when I can get it for $10-15 with shipping? It's bad enough I have to pay almost $7 a can for Tamiya paint!

Out here in the Mesa, AZ area, the chains, Hobby Town, Hobby Lobby and Michael's are all charging MSRP, and the "Ma & Pa" hobby shop is way under MSRP. Guess who is getting my business.

Do you have a Hobby Bench out there? I haven't checked the one near me in Phoenix to see if they have it..they never seem to have the latest issues.

Hey guys,

At least our kits are still cheaper than the modelers that build aircraft and armor.

I was at my LHS and was surprised at those prices.Aircraft was $35-60,armor $40-70.

These are high prices,so,we still have great value in our auto kits.When you stop and think about it for value,

how many hours of enjoyment do you get out of a kit??If it takes you 20 hours to finish it, ;):lol: ,even including the cost of paint,etc... it is a great value for us.

I have no problem paying the slightly higher prices for kits,as the model companies will bring out more new and reissued kits.That is good for all of us.

I just picked up ANOTHER 69 Nova last night at Micheals with the 40% off coupon, it listed at 19.99, an I got it for around 12 bucks(I threw the recipt away) To ME that's reasonable. The Black Widow was at 24.95!!! And I asked the little girl at the register, an she said they DO accept Hobby Lobby,and JoAnn's Fabric's store coupons, so I'll be usein them alot more!.

I got enough kits to last me the rest of my life,So even if they do price them out of site,I'll be set. But I DO wanna check out that 66 Impala thats comin out, an get me a couple of them rascals! 66 was a GOOD year for Chevy!!! :D;)

hey,

Gotta' tell you guys that a trip yesterday to a BIG HOBBY SHOP in Pa. turned up a new '32 Ford Coupe kit by Monogram with a

$24.00 price tag ????? Are these people high, or am I way outta' step with the times ? NO WONDER Hobby Shops are going

belly up ! ;):lol:;)

I thought the same when I saw the '32 at Hobbytown........but then I started thinkin'.......we complain about 24 bucks for a kit, but don't hesitate to pay $70 or more for a resin kit we want, so where does THAT leave us? :D And the plastic kit will be easier to build than the resin kit!