Model Cars Magazine Forum

QUICK QUESTION!

lamp no 3

What I do with every model I build after I open it is study the instructions. Every section on the instruction sheet I break down. Then study the parts. Once you get a handle on that start cutting parts off the trees if you are going to spray paint them. If not paint all the parts on the trees let them dry and assemble the model that way. I spray just about everything with spray cans or through my airbrush. If there is anything more you want to know just ask. I am sure there will be more than just this response to refer to. Good luck and welcome to the hobby!

First of all welcome to the hobby. Chris gave you an excellent suggestion, and it bing your first follow those instructions as they are. gettin your own method will come with time If the parts you are spraying are the same color then yes you can leave em on the tree to paint. if not you will need to either remove the parts that need other colors or spray one color first. get the parts of that color off and spray the next color. If you do this spray the lighter colors first. My next suggestion is do not use the model glue or super glue on your windows and lights. this can fog em over and turn you away from the hobby quick. I use regular old Elmers glue. Just like the glue you buy to send your kids to school with. And Like Chris said don't be afraid to ask for help. like you teachers used to tell you "there's no stupid question " We want to see ya succeed at this and continue on to the next model

If this is your first model car ever, I think the FIRST thing would be to convince yourself that its NOT going to be perfect. Accept the fact that you will make a few mistakes along the way. I see a lot of new guys that get sorta frustrated because their model didn't turn out as nice as Treehugger Dave's.......I been building 45 years and MINE aren't near as good as his! Lol! We learn as we go............

Anyway.....once you're in the right frame of mind......this should help:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2044266_build-model-cars.html

I also wanted to ask, is it hard to detail a 1:24 scale car

....and do I have to paint the body because If I paint is with white paint, it looks like ###### without an airbrush, and the bodies plastic is already glossy white. and can you put decals on a bare plastic body?

thanks!!!

yes you can put decals on a bare body, but if i were you i would go out and buy a can of cheap spray paint from walfart or Lowes (i think you can get it for like $.97)and practice on something. if you do wind up doin that then remember do short, quick bursts. spay paint is you best bet.

Welcome,

All good advice above, I would add…be patient! Take your time, and when it comes to glue less is more. I suggest getting some tooth picks to apply the glue to the parts. Read all the instructions and familiarize you self with all the parts and build in sub assemblies. Engine, Chassis, interior, then finial assembly and test fit all the parts before adding glue.

As for detailing, I would get a few box stock builds under my belt then think about adding the extras; anything that you want to be good at it takes practice. With practice, time and patience you will be building models you will be proud of in no time.

There are a lot of good tips and tricks here in the forum and a lot of good modelers more than happy to help you feel free to ask questions.

Good luck!

From a fellow rookie who's blundered enough times and had some good advice from this board, here's some stuff that works good for me:

Paint your body. Even if it is already white. Get some white "primer" (actual primer) spray a thin coat that adequately covers, with an even white tone all around, and then take your gloss white spray can (lacquer is easy and dries quick), hold the can about 1' away and spray fast, quick bursts on the side, other side, top, front, back. Wait 5, then repeat.

Many thin coats! Your white will come out more even and prevent runs.

Easy as that. Practice on a scrap piece of whatever to get the hang of it.

For your tree parts try whatever you find easiest. Me, I build an assembly first (ie engine block, rear axle, etc.), spray it a base color and then detail paint on top of that. Others paint each individual part on or off the tree before assembly. Don't forget to sand those plastic nubs off when you remove the parts (with clippers, scissors, knife). Something I overlook time to time (and it makes for a sloppy job!)

When sticking this thing together, I just use that cheap testors tube cement for plastic-plastic. Just scrape the paint off your joint surfaces first. CA glue for parts that need fast stick'um. Use in small amounts. too much globs and ruins a tidy job (believe me, I know!) Use clear acrylic paint, white school glue or "window cement" for your windows. Other glues will haze and yellow where they touch.

Don't give up. It took me several tries on my first model to get it right (and even then it didn't look that great). The second model was more encouraging. Learning from the mistakes and all.

Good luck.

Welcome to the hobby!

I suggest your first tools be: Exacto knife, plastic glue, Sandpapers, self-locking tweezers, rubber bands, paint brushes, needle files, toothpicks, magnifying glass, and a "third hand" gripping mechanism.

I do what they call "out of the box" construction. Basicly it means just following the instructions and not adding any severe detailing. That will come with time, experience and advice from the rest of the forum members. (Always ask us for help and advice....we are always here!)

As for spray painting, I highly suggest that when you spray paint, use thinner coats and start spraying in a sweeping motion staying about 8-10 inches from the part.

and.......LET IT DRY! Walk away for at least an hour, check what the can says about drying times.

Everyone here has put a fingerprint into a wet paint job thinking it was dry. Admire it but leave it alone till dry!!

WELCOME !!