Model Cars Magazine Forum

1st attempt at 1 handed modeling

samdiego

i've sliced a tendon in my left thumb and will have a cast for at least 6 weeks. i started with easy stuff but then decided to increase the danger factor by adding the dreaded x-acto. sort of getting back on the horse. real mahogany veneer on the woodie.

wood2.jpg

wood1.jpg

I did it at work with an x-acto. the injury, not the boats

Edited by samdiego

hey man those look really good. i remember one of my dads-friends-dad had only one hand, because it was blown of by a gernade, but he built a few models that were on the box art on the revel boxes for a long time. he always built the cleanest models i've ever seen. so the moral of the story is you can still build really good models even if you can't use one of your hands. And it looks like you did. :D

Not bad for a one-armed builder! I'm glad you didn't let that temporary situation stop you.

I once did a snap kit of a '57 Chevy after I had surgery for carpal tunnel, I still managed to add all the BMF it needed. I bet your boats are more difficult to do then my Chebby!

fam6-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Those look great Sam. Hang in there man, i've been there. Had left thumb joint replaced with a tendon removed from my forearm. The modeling is actually good physical therapy for it. It gets better in time. But your doing fine with those boats. Good luck.

Danny

Thats no big deal! I've been doing that for 27 yrs..! It was a challange to learn how to do EVERYTHING over! I now build & cast resin! Man what fun I'm having ;) Your best friend is a jewlers vise !

Edited by KDog