Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell tow truck

Custom Hearse

This kit started as a SnapTite kit that I got from Lyn on Evilbay, but I'm adding to it.

Engine is molded in on the body

IMG_2760.jpg

And on the frame

IMG_2766.jpg

But that won't do

IMG_2759.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg

Didn't care for the snap in roof lights and horns either

IMG_2751.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

A Gibson resin supercharged 737 C.I. should fill it up nicely

IMG_2752.jpg

More later

IMG_2791.jpg

Edited by Custom Hearse

Gotta hand it to you there , very nice ! You have a very interesting assortment of parts there as the truck , the boom hoist and the wrecker bed are actually of very different eras . The truck is I beleive a 73 Chevroltt 3500. The Boom hoist is a Holmes 3205 EARLY hydraulic that was a royal pain to work on in it's day as parts were unobtainable . They came out in about 1975. They provided the basis for Jer- Dann , Century and later Challenger to compete against Ernest Holmes in the Hydraulic boom field . Yes as a former wrecker driver and towing company owner these booms were a blessing in many respects . Still ,when they mal- functioned usually at odd hours in the night , you had problems a cigarette and coffee could never fix . Meanwhile , Chevron a minor player in wreckers came along about 1980 as Roll - Back wreckers were really taking off and Jerr Dann was selling the best in that time too.

O K enough nostalga , I had my fill of lock outs flat tires and recovering cars out of fish ponds used in store robberies ! I got married , not sure why and sold the tow trucks , not sure of them either ! Ed Shaver

Gotta hand it to you there , very nice ! You have a very interesting assortment of parts there as the truck , the boom hoist and the wrecker bed are actually of very different eras . The truck is I beleive a 73 Chevroltt 3500. The Boom hoist is a Holmes 3205 EARLY hydraulic that was a royal pain to work on in it's day as parts were unobtainable . They came out in about 1975. They provided the basis for Jer- Dann , Century and later Challenger to compete against Ernest Holmes in the Hydraulic boom field . Yes as a former wrecker driver and towing company owner these booms were a blessing in many respects . Still ,when they mal- functioned usually at odd hours in the night , you had problems a cigarette and coffee could never fix . Meanwhile , Chevron a minor player in wreckers came along about 1980 as Roll - Back wreckers were really taking off and Jerr Dann was selling the best in that time too.

O K enough nostalga , I had my fill of lock outs flat tires and recovering cars out of fish ponds used in store robberies ! I got married , not sure why and sold the tow trucks , not sure of them either ! Ed Shaver

Thanks for the history Ed! That gives me a good start to look for pics for reference. My step dad used to drive one, and we would go to Orange County International Raceway in it. That was probably the some of the best times I had as a kid.

Looks like your off to a fun start.

I like the molded in visor.

That's gonna be one heck of a motor your building.

Must be a Repo rig.

The visor comes that way. I had the motor sitting around for about a year now, and I thought it might be cool to use in this truck. Repo rig? maybe, but I know it'll have enough power to tow a Sherman tank!!!! :blink:

These kits were slightly bassed off all the stepside kits, the hotrod magazine one the street machine, the 4x4's, note the sunroof, and identical cabs,

BTW I have the same grille guard for a wrecker I have planned, Oh almost forgot she looks good keep it up.

Thanks Nick!

I have a glue bomb of the street machine I got for parts.

Post pics of yours when you get a chance

Thanks James!

I've done a little work on it tonight. I have an old Revell Chevy pick-up kit someone gave me for parts. I like the grill that comes with it, so I decided to use that instead of the kit grill...

IMG_2825.jpg

I had to cut the lower piece from the custom Chevy and attach it to the tow truck body...

IMG_2824.jpg

I also found some dollies to add to the tow truck...

IMG_2828.jpg

IMG_2829.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg

I got them from the Revell Midnight Cowboy kit

Sorry to disapoint ya but Towing Dollies are still sold and still used in several instances especiall where there could be a chance of a flat tire slipping out of the Wheel lift . I wont mention the wrecker manufacturer but it starts with an " V" . Infact I wouldn't drive anything , buy anything or have anything ever made by their company ever again ! Ed Shaver

If you ever try it again twisting them again there is a easier way. Just take the two wires and put them in the chuck of a drill and put the other side in a vise or something and then pull the trigger and your done. It is just that easy. I have used this method alot on other projects.

Justin Tisdale

If you ever try it again twisting them again there is a easier way. Just take the two wires and put them in the chuck of a drill and put the other side in a vise or something and then pull the trigger and your done. It is just that easy. I have used this method alot on other projects.

Justin Tisdale

Great idea, Justin! Thanks for the tip.

Charlie Larkin

• 1 month later...