Model Cars Magazine Forum

Or understood the concept behind 'Wheel of Fortune'.

Actually the concept behind Wheel of Fortune (solving a letter puzzle) is pretty simple... even a Mayan could have understood it.

The problem would arise when the Mayan MC told the Mayan contestant to "give the wheel a spin," at which point the Mayan contestant would say "Wheel? How the heck can I give the wheel a spin, you moron... we don't have wheels!"

So you can see that "Wheel of Fortune" was probably never shown on Mayan TV... :lol:

However, given the popularity of human sacrifice among the Mayans, one of the more popular TV game shows was "Take My Wife... Please!," which was hosted for many years by Quetzlcoatl "Henny" Youngman...

This thread is still going!

Silly Mayans. Human sacrifice doesn't bring bountiful harvests. Everybody knows it stops volcanic eruptions instead. :P

In all seriousness though -- there were enough computers that did not go past the date 2000. Just as the Mayan calendar doesn't go past 2012. So it's just a Mayan Y2-12 bug. We'll just make a patch. I mean literally. A piece of rock with a few more centuries. That solves the 2012 problem right there. :lol:

PS: For the record, the Mayan calendar is a series of wheels. :)

Speaking of 2012, anyone see the trailer for the movie '2012'? Looks like a CGI extravagana involving a giant earthquake in LA and a flying Lincoln Town Car limo..

As far as 'end of the world' disaster movies, I watched 'Knowing' the other night, a fairly incoherent flick w/ Nic Cage and a plot involving solar flares, strange kids, numbers, and aliens that drive old LTDs.

I thought Knowing was strange.

How about Armageddon, Deep Impact, Independence Day, etc'?

Those are all good flicks. Just watched Armageddon again. Fun stuff.

If you want to watch a really thought provoking flick about the future, try Solient Green. Yeah, it's got that 70's flair to it, but the vision of the future, while not very fun, it well thought out and interesting.

On another note - Remember - All you fans of the Star Trek future can see what is really possible if you read Physics of the Impossible. Invisibility is closer than you think. Yikes!

Scott

Those are all good flicks. Just watched Armageddon again. Fun stuff.

If you want to watch a really thought provoking flick about the future, try Solient Green. Yeah, it's got that 70's flair to it, but the vision of the future, while not very fun, it well thought out and interesting.

Scott

Ya, the '70s had a lot of good future shock sci-fi flicks... THX 1138, Logan's Run, Omega Man, A Boy and His Dog, up through the Mad Max movies (leading over to the car chase movie thread).

One in particular I remember as a kid was called 'The Stranger'...an astronaut lands on a parallel world earth...just like Earth, even has '73 Plymouth Furys...but not Earth :)

I'm still trying to find Collosal, The Forb's Project I think it is? It's a movie that can be said to pre-date WarGames and Terminator. Same theme, about a super computer that takes control over the world. It's an old black/white classic but still great flick.

Saw that trailer too. Crossing my fingers it doesn't do well stopping another wave of disaster movies. The late 90s was enough for me!

I think it's from the same director that did Independence Day and The Day after Tommorow. Big CGI boom fest...

I'm still trying to find Collosal, The Forb's Project I think it is? It's a movie that can be said to pre-date WarGames and Terminator. Same theme, about a super computer that takes control over the world. It's an old black/white classic but still great flick.

Collosius: The Forbin Project...it's in color, saw it a couple years ago. Fun movie. The US and the USSR's super computers decide to wage war on each other.

Collosius: The Forbin Project...it's in color, saw it a couple years ago. Fun movie. The US and the USSR's super computers decide to wage war on each other.

Really? I thought it was black/white. I remember the computer had a really awesome sounding voice. Similar to the W.O.P.E.R, but deeper and more evil-sounding.

The way I see it,

Collosius,

W.O.P.E.R,

Skynet

Am I missing one?

Edited by FujimiLover

2012 looks like a cool movie to see up on the big screen

as far as the mayans go my theory is the guy doin the calender just got bored and tired of working on it and said thats far enough the heck with it B)

knowing was a cool movie. question : the people that took the 2 kids away were they aliens or angels ?????????

what do you guys think ???

Edited by old low&slo