Model Cars Magazine Forum

Second time around...

Lately I've been wanting to build models that I had built once before in the past. For instance, I built a 6 wheel van back in the '80s, and now I'm in the middle of building another, but in a larger scale.

IMG_2793.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

Another one that I've been wanting to build is this... a Corvette stretched limo

IMG_2927.jpg

IMG_2928.jpg

IMG_2929.jpg

The original is long gone, so I got my hands on 2 Monogram Corvette America 4 door kits. Does anyone else do this, try to relive the past and try to make it better?

What are your thoughts on this subject?

I remember those large scale Ford vans. 1/20th scale I believe they were. I really loved the custom parts that were included in those. I spent alot of time building the old vans. From the Ford 4wd van to the Sorcerer van to countless others, they were some of my favorite builds.

Looking back, there were many cars and trucks I loved building, but many are out of my price range now. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Relive the past? . you are really STRREEEEETCHING it! eheh Those are some long ones.

I have a few kits sitting down below that are meant to re-do some builds I did in the 60's but were thrown out. Why did I ever do that? Everything I did in my younged days got trashed during moves because I didn't want to store them and I thought I'd never care. ;)

Re- live my past ........... humm...... naw, I'm actually living some of the dreams I had from years ago . Society has allowed me to do in some ways . Meanwhile , I lucked i and I have some material things that I wanted in my youth . I never wanted too much in the material department , heck because of my health realisticly I have mabye twenty years tops . Im enjoying each day as It presents itself , then it's someone elses turn ! Ed Shaver :lol:

Lately I've been wanting to build models that I had built once before in the past.

<SNIP>

Does anyone else do this, try to relive the past and try to make it better?

What are your thoughts on this subject?

I'm not really sure it's reliving the past. The past is gone, and I, for one, am glad. Think of it as benchmarking. I remember reading an article in one of the model magazines long ago about benchmarking. What it is in a nutshell is to build the same model over and over again at certain periods - every year, two years, five years, whatever. The point is to see how your skills improve over time with measurable results. It's going to be hard to compare a 32 Ford you built at 15 with a 57 Chevy you built at 20, but if you build a 49 Ford for example periodically, you can see where you have improved and need improvement. Even recreating a car from years ago helps, especially if the original still exists for comparison's sake.

How's that for justification?

Relive the past?

Heck, I'm trying to live the Present. ;)

But Yes, I'd like to find a Kit I once built (still have) and redo it.

But they aren't going cheap enough for my likens.

But IF I could redo it, I wouldn't have sold off Half of my stash. Twice. :o

And a few more lil details here and there. :D

BTW: The Vette looks Cool, Got one but just the 4dr vette part w/o the stretch :D

First, I like the van and the Vette Marshall. As for re-living the past. The way I'm doing it is by rebuilding the ones that I made back then, like the 53 Studebaker, 49 Ford and Merc, 53 Ford trucks and the 63 Impala. I do enjoy redoing them and seeing the difference in skills that I've learned since then. Thanks for bringing this topic up. ;):D Dan