Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan Is Back

Not too long ago, I was searching the internet for information on jo-han model kits. I came across Johan Models fairly new web site. Here's the link:

http://www.johanmodels.com/

There is not much there now, but they retooled the Turbine and Rambler Wagon. Also, there are some NOS promos there with resin parts to upgrade them. I bought and now waiting on the 56 Plymouth Belvedere in Briar Rose. The Plymouth promo is NOS while the mold is being converted to kit form.

Well over a year ago I purchased tha '56 Plymouth Belvedere 4 dr in Lt. Blue w/ green tinted windows. Some day I'm gonna convert it into a 2 dr short-track circa mid 60s Late Model stockcar with a 413 c.i. .......some day. I think it was from this website Steve.

Not too long ago, I was searching the internet for information on jo-han model kits. I came across Johan Models fairly new web site. Here's the link:

There is not much there now, but they retooled the Turbine and Rambler Wagon. Also, there are some NOS promos there with resin parts to upgrade them. I bought and now waiting on the 56 Plymouth Belvedere in Briar Rose. The Plymouth promo is NOS while the mold is being converted to kit form.

This is pretty old news..they had the Turbine and Rambler and that site a couple of years ago...

i went and looked at the site; great promise here if they can get more old kits back into production. the gallery had some great builds and some cool kitbashes using lindberg and AMT parts. i remember the "USA Oldies" from the '70's and wish i'd snagged more and destoyed fewer... but my oldest surviving build is their '64 Polara superstock in "stock" form with the long ram induction 383/426 engine and AMT torq-thrust mags.

the star chief pontiac looks so cool; i picture it deep dark metallic burgundy with platinum contrast color? white and burgundy simu-leather interior.... 2-3 sheets of BMF! (no, not that much, we're not doing the '58 impala...)

the ambassador SST (rebel machine?) kit was one i built only once and poorly at that, and would like to do as showroom stock.

As mentioned before, that website is very old news and not much of anything is happening with Johan. The owner shows up at shows selling off the same kits/parts that he has for years (and I've thankfully been able to snag some pieces and decals that I needed), yet most of the promises have been unmet. He's had many challenges to say the least, and I hate to say it but unless he gets a huge financial backer or wins the lottery, what you see from Johan today is likely all you'll ever get. Most of the tooling is either gone or useless. I wish Okey well, but honestly I'm not going to hold my breath that we'll ever see Johan "really" back at all.

Hi! Welcome to 7 years ago! We can only hope that something, anything progresses

I was unaware they'd survived the seville debacle and thought they'd gone forever; if there's tooling it should be restored and used even if it's in China. i can't get to many (any?) shows due to work schedules and plane ticket costs; so catching deals on out-of-issue stuff is pretty rare to me. got tired of trying to find reading material on modeling and came here. i try to keep informed, but apparently this new(ish) entity of Johan was unable to get the market they need for operation solely by selling in the few retailers they had and by mail order. it only takes a few disgruntled e-bay users to ruin your rep as a vendor, ands if he has supplier issues he's beeing bitten by more than one dog. i'd like to see the testors brand restore ALL the Johan tooling that exists and get to work producing those golden oldies again. it would sure beat the heck out of paying 65-70 bucks for an old kit that sold for 2.99......

Okey was at Toledo this year with a very limited selection....I was able to snag onto one of the '59 Dodges and '75 Olds Cutlass promo kits , wish I could have bought more , but as I and everyone else said , very limited items...

Hmmmm..............I keep seeing those '59 Dodges turn up on the 'Bay.......Is that Okey selling 'em on there?

I see at least a couple a week show up.

I have tha Johan NASCAR Torino, but I'm afraid of taking tha box lid off, might get an uncontrollable urge ta build it. I think it has tha 429, been a few years since I looked at it.