Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Ranchero & Sedan Delivery

Jairus, JamesW, Treehugger Dave and I have the privilege of being club members with a gentleman by the name of Stan Ulrich. Stan has been building for several decades, he is one of those guys who can look at a photo and sit down and build it 100% accurate. Earlier this summer Stan ask if I was interested in painting a couple of his builds. I told him sure I'be honored to paint a couple of his models. Stan brought the models to a seminar we were doing, handed me the box and said 'There you go". When I ask what colors he had in mind for the builds his reply was, 'that's up to you they're your models'. I finally talked him into a trade, these cost me my last Johan Rambler American. I still think I got the better end of the deal.

Stan had combined a Revell stock height Ranchero with an AMT '57 Fairlane in order to get the correct door length. No place on this bodywork can you even begin to see a splice in the plastic.

IMG_2365-vi.jpg

IMG_2366-vi.jpg

IMG_2367-vi.jpg

The best part of the deal is all I have to do is paint and final assembly, oh yeah and give Stan the credit for his flawless workmanship.

Here's the Sedan Delivery:

Stan started with the chopped Revell '57 Ranchero. He left the doors the length they were in the kit, then proceeded to add the Sedan Delivery roof which is built using 2 additional AMT '57 Fairlane roofs.

IMG_2368-vi.jpg

IMG_2369-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Both these projects will get the proper finishing touches due something built by a master craftsman.

Stay Tuned, the paint will be flowing shortly.

Boy, those are both strongly, and succesfully, styled, very unique builds. Even in the pictures, they look to be flawlessly executed. They should make outstanding completed models. I'm certain your skills and vision are up to doing them justice and they're far enough long that the original builder's hand will be quite obvious. Nonetheless, you'll be able to add many critical elements in the choice of interior details, motors, chassis work, wheels and tires, and, of course, the paint scheme.

It must be flattering to be chosen by such a master craftsman to complete his work, even if a little daunting! And I agree, you did get the better of the deal (gracious of you to insist on a trade, BTW).

Stan's work has been displayed here as well as in print. Unfortunately, the person he turned the project over to to complete (paint and final assembly) took all the credit for the build even though they had nothing to do with the bodywork portion of the build.

I guess it's one of those morals things, giving credit where credit is due. When it comes contest time they will be display only with it noted who did the bodywork and who did final assembly.

I'm just honored to have these builds in my collection, it's not often that a master builder thinks your skills are worthy of completing his vision.

I finally talked him into a trade, these cost me my last Johan Rambler American. I still think I got the better end of the deal.

Oooooooooooh- that's a close one! Was it one of the later issues, that had almost as much plastic just in the flash as the rest of the entire kit? If so, then yeah- you got the better end! :rolleyes:

Oooooooooooh- that's a close one! Was it one of the later issues, that had almost as much plastic just in the flash as the rest of the entire kit? If so, then yeah- you got the better end! :lol:

Actually Chuck, it was the Testors repop of the Johan Rambler American that was the Hobby Shop Only (HSO) version. It wasn't horrible compared to some of he last of the Johans, but it had these seriously ugly cast white metal rims to go along with a set of P/E plates so Testors could justify the $15 price tag when all the other plastic on the shelf was going for $10. It had sat in my garage for well over 10 years with out coming off the shelf, so to me it was a great deal.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...