Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished Mack R686 Oilfield Winch Truck (Rebuild Project)

11-12-09

Guy's,

As the weather turns..and having a "new" work area..I thought I would share the "little" project I got going presently...I have always wanted to get a "rebuild/glue-bomb" from Ebay at sometime to..give it that Turbo590 touch, Well after my trip to Toledo earlier in the month..and after spending time with my good friend Jamie (Mo'Luminum)..the opportunity came about. This truck and I have "history"..from the beginning. Jamie did build the truck (pictured) originally..and after its first "show" it had a major WRECK..the truck was thrown forward wickedly..in a dead stop..not secured..The truck then sat in the basement since 2007, until I arrived earlier in the month. Frame in various locations broke, cross members broke..the engine dislodged, the list goes on..cab off..hood broke..etc.

Along with being dirty..and paint scratched...off to the shop. 3 weeks have gone by..a "little progress" Some parts have been re-fabricated, pieces carefully re-attached, when they could..and a massive cleaning (3-times). Weathering applied, A new Hood and Cab..are in the works..new front bumper made..the list goes on. There has been almost 6 weeks of steady progress on this so far.

A new Photo-etched grille is being made, The "Turbo590" touch..she is receiving...Enjoy...Kurt

Link to my FOTKI Album on this rebuild:

http://public.fotki.com/turbo590/1984-mack-oilfield-/

Some pictures:

DSC04466.jpg

DSC04461.jpg

DSC04506.jpg

DSC04549.jpg

DSC04584.jpg

DSC04594.jpg

Edited by Turbo590

Wow Kurt, you really have it lookin good!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice work!

Ben..please P/M if you could...need to touch base with you.

11-18-09

Well here "she" is, 99.8% finished...just a little more make-up. I did put a stainless steel band/coupler on the air breather intake...Onto the matching trailer which will be a new scratch built unit..with a real wooden deck.

The exhaust shield..is the photo-etch version from KFS..with the Mack emblem. You have to roll it several times to take shape..superglue insert rings.

Happy Holidays to all...Thank you for the great comments.....off the Fulton, NY this weekend..will post pictures...Enjoy

Kurt

DSC04608.jpg

DSC04612.jpg

DSC04616.jpg

DSC04623.jpg

DSC04627.jpg

DSC04631.jpg

Edited by Turbo590

Another amazing Mack, looks way better than most R models that have lived in the oilfeilds. Where did you get all the little photoetch pieces?

Casey...the only photo-etch pieces are the exhaust shield/chain binders (KFS)at the moment. I do have the MicroMark photo-etching kit..I have been experimenting with..and have the R-model grille in prototype mode

The grille as seen...(My Plan "B") was fabricated out of Evergreen round stock...then sanded flat, then Alclad polished aluminum applied..and dulled. For a few hours put into it..I think it turned out pretty good.

The ultimate long run..will have properly sized stainless steel photo-etched grilles..available.

Kurt

Edited by Turbo590