Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 decal sheets

I think we can all agree that Round 2 has really done us proud on the quality and quantity of their decal sheets.

So here is a question. Is there anywhere or anyone we can contact to acquire JUST the decal sheets? The Challenger F/C and the new Austin gasser stand out in my mind having decal sheets I'd like to lay my hands on. However I'm not particularly interested in building either kit. My kit stash has just doubled due to my uncle entering a care center, and leaving me his kits. So I can just imagine the WTF look from my wife were I to suggest buying more kits, just for the decals.

I've emailed folks that have built the Challenger in the hopes of snagging the leftovers, to no avail. Any hope for me?

Those kits are one time special run kits for Model King. Round 2 and Revell only make enough decals sheet to fill the kit order so I doubt they would be much help. I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask though. Your best bet might be to buy the kits, snag the decals and then ebay the rest.

I'm pretty thrifty (okay, cheap!) myself (it's in the DNA of every model car builder :lol: ), but knowing these are very limited run kits w/o parts stockpiles, it's a tad greedy wanting to buy just the decals from the manufacturer if others can't help out (and the decals are the biggest reason I think the majority of the buyers want the kits). I understand your predicament; I was miffed when they did the second run of the '59 Imperial with not only far superior boxart, but also new & much improved detailing decals for it. I bought two of the first run, I don't need or want more Imperials (unless they run a '61 HT :D ). I refused to buy any more (it would cost nearly $60 for the replacements and I'm pretty sure I'd lose $ selling the two I have from the 1st run), and just live w/my decision because in the long run, a nice box & a few decals isn't worth shelling out another $30 or so when I already have the same basic kit. If I contacted them for replacement decals, I might get decals from them...but perhaps someone who got a kit with damaged decals might be out of luck if there were no decals left, and they'd be out of luck thanks to my greed. C'est la flippin' vie...and life goes on.

Sean's advice is good. While the new kits are fresh/available you could sell/trade off your old versions of the kits to make room for the new versions, and then it wouldn't seem as bad from a stockpile standpoint. You won't come out ahead financially, or break even, but you will have exactly what you want without playing any games w/the manufacturer...whose business clearly isn't selling decal sheets except as part of a package deal with the rest of the kit.