Model Cars Magazine Forum

P-38 Belly tankracer

For just the basic tank go to Early Years Resin. I have gotten one and it provides the basic bones I need. It's vacuum formed styrene and is closer to 1/24th scale than 1/25th. I also bought their tires and wheels on the same page and they are quite nice looking. Here's the link: http://earlyyearsresin.webs.com/lsrparts.htm

Duhhhh, i bought a toy water rocket. You know, the kind you fill with water,and attach to the hand pump,and pump up to the point where it takes off. I've been lookin for an easier way,to no avail. I haven't seen Steve's, heck I didn't even know he sold one! Is it on his website? How much is that rascal? Me thinks it'd be ALOT easier to get that one than to convert my toy! But what the hey, Mebbe I'll do it anyway jus to see if I CAN! :lol::D;) Oh, and YEAH, put me in for Steve AND his service! A NICER,EASIER guy to deal with would be hard to find! 100% GREAT guy!!! :D;)

Guys, I bought one from Star Models and I must say it is a great model. A good option who wants do build a lakester racer!!!! It is the best one???? I dont know... The only other version of this model I know is from California Model Works at Island Collectibles, 1:24 scale. But $80 bucks is a little over, dont you think?

cmw24001.jpg

http://www.islandcollectibles.net/prod02134.htm

I guess (just seeing the pjcture) the California model is a little more accurate and complete version, but for almost 1/3 cheap, I got the Star Models version with no remorse! :)

Edited by Drago

Dont know about any models, But

I dont have to go very far to see the belly tank, anyway.

My father in law had one in his junkpile.

I asked for it, and was told to take it if I want it.

So now its sitting up in my barn, its incredibly light, and maybe someday

I'll make a Salt Flats car out of it. have the flathead out of my old '53 Ranchwagon..................

Guys, I bought one from Star Models and I must say it is a great model. A good option who wants do build a lakester racer!!!! It is the best one???? I dont know... The only other version of this model I know is from California Model Works at Island Collectibles, 1:24 scale. But $80 bucks is a little over, dont you think?

cmw24001.jpg

http://www.islandcollectibles.net/prod02134.htm

I guess (just seeing the pjcture) the California model is a little more accurate and complete version, but for almost 1/3 cheap, I got the Star Models version with no remorse! :rolleyes:

One thing to consider, if accuracy is important: A P-38 ferry tank (which is what the bellytank that salt flats racers used) isn't completely round in cross-section, but rather it has an "egg shape" to it when viewed from front to rear. Likewise, the teardrop shape, when viewed from the side isn't symmetrical top to bottom. This was because Lockheed designed it to be a bit of a "lifting body", so that its shape would provide at least some lift at speed when airborne. Most of the ones I have seen done in vacform and resin have missed those two characteristics completely, the California Model Works one appears to have it nailed to a T.

Just a thought,

Art

I know some of the real belly tank lakesters had the drivers fully enclosed, they didn't have an opening for the drivers head to stick out of the body. It seems to me I saw resin body like this at a model shop at least 5 years ago. Does anyone know if such a model exists now, or in the past?

Jairus, Thank you for the link to lakester photos.