Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cadillac XLR

i think jimmy flintstone offers a resin conversion to build a Cadillac XLR (now theres a caddy i can appreciate!) that uses a recent model Corvette as a base kit.

has anyone ever completed this conversion or used or seen mr flintstones body? is it pretty easy going conversion wise?

just curious because i have been thinking about building a wicked XLR for some time now.

is the real thing built on a vette chassis etc so that the conversion would be fairly close to the prototype?

thanks in advance for all input!

Cadillac-XLR1.jpg

Cadillac_XLR_Concept_2003.jpg

The JF XLR is an odd duck. It's based on a remote control toy that is slightly larger (toy scales out to about 1/23.5).

Pros: It's the only resin XLR. It will supposedly fit a modern Corvette chassis. Clear glass.

Cons: It's a body only, you're on your own for interior. The headlight covers/taillights are molded integrally w/the resin. No way they'll be prototypical.

The remote control toy has black windows, no interior, and a simple remote control chassis. Decent chrome wheels, decent clear red taillights, decent chrome headlight bezels w/clear headlight cover. Chrome grille.

I found 3 of these obsolete toys at Fryes Electronics for about $7 each on closeout. I gave one to a friend w/the Flintstone kit. Gave another to another friend. Kept one for myself. I'll just paint it decently, try to put on better tires, and call it a day as a slammer w/black glass.

It's a shame the JF piece has the headlights/taillights cast w/the body. Won't be easy rectifying that.

IMG_8207-vi.jpg

IMG_8208-vi.jpg

Edited by Zoom Zoom
  • Like 1

Bill, I've got one. the body only cost me 10 bucks from Jimmy at the MCCC toy show. He recommends using the Maisto die cast Corvette for the chassis and interior. One of the guys in our club built his already, and used BMF for the grille, Head and tailights. Just foil 'em and paint the tailights with Tamiya's stop light red, and your good to go. His came out REALLY nice, Hope mine turns out just as nice! Give it a try, for the money invested, you'll be one of the few that has one!(besides US) :lol::lol:

While the chassis may fit with some tweaking on the JF body, coming up with a suitable engine will be a whole 'nother matter! If you want something passable for an interior, hope you're good at scratchbuilding as they're quite different from one another.

XLR's do NOT use Corvette engines BTW, they use Cadillac's V8 of whatever they call it these days.

A decent plastic kit would have seemed a no-brainer as a number of 'Vette pieces could have been used as a basis..............but no we keep getting stuff that while nice, doesn't look ahead to what's current. :lol:

A decent plastic kit would have seemed a no-brainer as a number of 'Vette pieces could have been used as a basis..............but no we keep getting stuff that while nice, doesn't look ahead to what's current. :lol:

I believe XLR production has been done for about a year now. It's not current, and never sold in numbers even close to what they wanted, certain Ferraris sell in bigger numbers. An exorbitant pricetag is one reason the XLR was doomed to failure. Would be a neat kit, but I doubt anyone in a model company is crying over spilled milk over the XLR (or Sky, or Solstice).

I believe XLR production has been done for about a year now. It's not current, and never sold in numbers even close to what they wanted, certain Ferraris sell in bigger numbers. An exorbitant pricetag is one reason the XLR was doomed to failure. Would be a neat kit, but I doubt anyone in a model company is crying over spilled milk over the XLR (or Sky, or Solstice).

Yeah, I had the Sky and Solstice in mind after I posted that. :lol: There's a bunch of stuff that they could make that's current I'm thinking of, but I know it'll never see the light of day.

It's too bad because the Japanese kit makers are more willing to put out stuff that sold right in their home market, but us Americans................Nooooo! :lol:

Some history on this 'toy' please! Who made it, and who sold it, and is it still available?

I had the JF body, but I sold it. To do a decent job, would require fabbing all four light housings, plus vac-u-forming the lens. Although... the one in black up a ways sure looks sweet. :D

Some history on this 'toy' please! Who made it, and who sold it, and is it still available?

I had the JF body, but I sold it. To do a decent job, would require fabbing all four light housings, plus vac-u-forming the lens. Although... the one in black up a ways sure looks sweet. :D

I think it was Nikko; I saw them at Toys R Us & Fryes. They're not current, that line of remote control toys was done several years ago, and they've since vanished. Fryes had them for years...kept dropping the price..I got lucky getting them for $6.98; the original price was about $25.

thanks for all the info. sounds like way more hassle than the outcome will be worth but if i see a body at nnl west this year i will snag it and take it from there. i am thinking slammer now too so i guess thats pretty doable with a minimum of serious work.

its really puzzling that no one put this out as a model and yet didnt they put out those middle weight caddys, STS or something? never did much for me but this cadavette really gets me. saw a modified one at bonneville salt flats one year and loved it from there

caddy2.jpg

thats more what i had in mind for a buildup. at the time i saw it i think i remember it being called "the worlds fastest cadillac". seems that title has been grabbed by someone else:

• 14 years later...

I have the XLR R/C toy.......BUT I was told there may have been a CTS Coupe in this same series. I am trying to track down any info as I bought a 1/1 CTS and want a model....or even a body! Thanks

CADDYGBR.jpg