Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ok, what's the deal with these guys? *thin skins should proceed with caution*

i try and come up with a color for the body before i get started on a project, but it isn't always like that or does it always work out that way. i may decide a color early on and then change my mind as mock-up progresses, maybe even right as i'm getting ready to spray the body!

i agree too that it is one of those things that all of us may have different methods that work for us that may not be what someone else does or thinks is the "right" or best way. one thing i find strange is when people paint parts while they are still attached to the trees. not so much small parts that may be painted by hand with a brush, but large components, like say the fenders, hood and hood sides to a Revell '32 Ford kit :D

Dave

:)

Sometimes I paint the body first and sometimes I don't. It depends on what I need to do to the body as far as bodywork. For anyone else, it's your decision on where you want to start. Whatever and whereever you want.....it up to you. Whatever works for you. Just my 2 cents!

there is another project currently in the works posted in the "workbench" section, a '69 Dodge Daytona. here is another example of painting stuff while still attached to the parts trees. how does this work out for builders? how do you guys who paint stuff in this manner do touch-ups after removing the parts from the tree? what if the part needs work to fit correctly?

Dave

I always take all the parts off the trees.... It's really the only way I can get full access to cleaning up the seams and pin marks and other imperfections and such, as well as checking to make sure the item will fit properly.

I also spray all my parts, so theres really no need for me to leave anything attached to the sprue. I simply remove the part, clean it up, check it's fitment, and then mount it seperately for spray painting............I can't even recall the last time I brushed painted any parts while still being attached to the sprue trees..

*THIN SKIN DISCLAIMER*......DON'T TAKE THIS THREAD TOO SERIOUSLY.

Edited by J. Sauber

Maybe painting/polishing first is like eating desert before supper but that's how I do it too. Like a lot of the other guys, I just test the fit of the body to the interior pan and chassis and fit the panels. The only thing I leave for last are mirrors, glue-on badges and the wax. Have not had a problem yet.

Then the body gets all the fresh effort and enthusiasm so no way it'll get half-a'ed. But that's what works for me. As long as I'm careful, putting on the body and the following panels is never a problem and the model wax lifts off those fingerprints which are not etched in because the body has had plenty of time to gas out. But that's what works for me.

Painting parts on sprues isn't my style though. It's easier for me to cut them off to work on first and then spray them un-ay-steek.

I always take all the parts off the trees.... It's really the only way I can get full access to cleaning up the seams and pin marks and other imperfections and such, as well as checking to make sure the item will fit properly.

I also spray all my parts, so theres really no need for me to leave anything attached to the sprue. I simply remove the part, clean it up, check it's fitment, and then mount it seperately for spray painting............I can't even recall the last time I brushed painted any parts while still being attached to the sprue trees..

I do the same thing but I do paint with a brush a lot. I just can't put a model together if the seams aren't cleaned up.

So who was the builder Sauber?? Man what is up with you lately? Every subject you start is subjective to pissing on people....

Bob Downie is an accomplished and well known builder in our hobby so dont call it the Zoom Zoom school of Hack..... even if your joking..... its not necessary.... I ALWAYS do the bodies on my builds first because its the part I love the most.... I just finished a complete COT body for a Dale Jr Mountain Dew paint scheme and I Have not even started the chassis yet.... to each his own..... to me it looks like you are just trying to ruffle feathers as usual....... I just painted a 77 Trans am for someone else who paid me who runs his own model business and loves my paint jobs. I did the foil work, and polishing and will be mailing it back to him this week along with another finished body...... Does that make us both "big gambling" modelers?

I think not......

The fact is I like your work, I think your a hell of a modeler but you seem to be spending more time throwing out potential flame threads than doing what your great at.... Building.....

Dave T

Who's picking on poor Zoom Zoom? or "ruffling feathers"?.... I guess you missed my "thin skin disclaimer" and took the sarcastic comments literally...

Relax, there buddy. I'm just having a little fun kicking around what actually turned out to be a rather interesting thread with differing opinions....

YOU seem to be the one who's freaking out a bit.....Try taking a deep breath and unclench your fists...It'll be ok.....No really, it will. B)

*THIN SKIN DISCLAIMER*......FOR THIS PARTICULAR RESPONSE, I'M BEING SERIOUS.

Edited by J. Sauber

back on topic

i USUALLY build a model the way the instructions tell me, engine, frame, interior, exterior

but every once in a while i build a car "around" a vision i have

this ford for instance was build around a set of wheels...

IMG00042-20090621-1527.jpg

and an engine strong enough to turn those wheels:

IMG00069-20090715-2218.jpg

so in this case i build the rear suspension, installed the wheels and then started chopping the body and hood and finished all of that off before i have even looked at the interior

this car right here was build around the vision of a blown tuna fish

IMG00186-20090517-1943.jpg

so with this car i completed the body before the vision faded

those two cars are exeptions rather then rules

back on topic

i USUALLY build a model the way the instructions tell me, engine, frame, interior, exterior

but every once in a while i build a car "around" a vision i have

this ford for instance was build around a set of wheels...

so in this case i build the rear suspension, installed the wheels and then started chopping the body and hood and finished all of that off before i have even looked at the interior

this car right here was build around the vision of a blown tuna fish

so with this car i completed the body before the vision faded

those two cars are exeptions rather then rules

Those are good points you bring up. It does pay to follow the instructional sequence at times.

In the past, I've tried to assemble a few interiors first, only to find that certain parts needed to be attached after the body had been mounted.....Whoops.. B)

I guess those instructional sheets really do serve a purpose. B)

*THIN SKIN DISCLAIMER*.....DON'T TAKE THIS THREAD TOO SERIOUSLY.

Edited by J. Sauber

In my case, I do a mockup and fitment of the MAJOR parts (body to chassis) before starting anything. The foiling is normally applied BEFORE clear, the clear helps to seal the foil to the body. In some cases, like on layitlow, some guys paint bodies and then sell or trade to other members.

Hey, like that word fitment--tell it like it is!!

it´s a resin model from jimmy flintstone called chopperhead:

after many hours of sanding i can do the paint job with laquer and the top choat. no polishing and sanding there:

3136336132313436.jpg

3435663631386131.jpg

3630356632643233.jpg

greets juergen

This one illustrates perfectly what this thread was about. It's a great paint job but what now? Unless you are building a "Slammer" or "curbside" type model, this type of technique makes no sense to me. ( I don't see any chassis or interior so I am making an assumption and I am NOT criticizing Juergen.)

I guess ultimately it depends on how serious a build it is. Casual builders who build out of the box or nearly out of the box can get away with that technique but more complex and higher level builds simply can not be done that way.

It's often the sequence how I build. Glad to know I'm such a hack :)

I don't know why any of Us should be concerned about the order in which Someone constructs a Model Car! I guess I fall into the Zoom Zoom Hack club, but I don't really think any of this is worth worrying about, in fact, I don't know why I took the time to reply ! Go finish a Model...

I see Mr Thibodeau deleted his post but J. Sauber was only the third to lightheartedly call Zoom-Zoom a hack, the first being Bob himself!!!!! Talk about getting all excited about nothing!!!!! Jim was merely starting a discussion that was interesting and a bunch a people got their undies super bunched up. OY! :lol:

Andy, Juergen did say it was gonna be a curbside/slammer. he said the chassis that was recommended was too short, so he's just gonna black out the windows put some nice wheels on it, and call it a day. Too bad, cause he REALLY can build some killer rides. You should see some of the stuff he DOESN'T post!!! B):)

I do most all painting as the last thing on my building list, but then, I HATE painting with a passion! Since I LOVE body work, there's no paint to stop me from reworking anything on the body at the last minute!! B)

I suspect this all may have much to do about your take on model building... for instance ...

Mr. Obsessive, as the name applies, is obsessed with doing everything in the proper order exactly as the instructions say.. paint comes last!

and Zoom Zoom is a trained car designer.. the body IS the model and I'd venture he might have painted bodies with motors still on the trees!!

hehe,, all in fun guys.. :)

Im the same way, i hate painting, but i love doing custom stuff to body's :lol::D then it usually gets a coat or two of primer and gets put in a box.

I see Mr Thibodeau deleted his post but J. Sauber was only the third to lightheartedly call Zoom-Zoom a hack, the first being Bob himself!!!!! Talk about getting all excited about nothing!!!!! Jim was merely starting a discussion that was interesting and a bunch a people got their undies super bunched up. OY! ;)

Yeah it is interesting to note, "Dave T" was pretty quick to withdraw his attack against me....Oh well, I'm glad I quoted it so everyone here could see him foaming at the mouth and thumping his chest without provocation.

This whole thread was supposed to have a lighthearted theme, [hence the "thin skin disclaimer warnings"], but once again, some delicate folks end up getting bruised and battered like a bunch of lightweights..

Bob even sarcastically calls himself a "hack", yet when I joke around and do the same, I'm the one who ends up getting bit by a rabid forum user........Go figure :rolleyes:

Hell, at least I'm getting folks talking about the hobby and different approaches to building.......Yeah, whatever, I'm such a Bad A$$ for for actually starting a topic relevent to the hobby......SHEEESH!!

Is this forum great or what? you can get some entertainment and some nice modeling tips all in the same thread!! :P

Edited by J. Sauber

Yeah it is interesting to note, "Dave T" was pretty quick to withdraw his attack against me....Oh well, I'm glad I quoted it so everyone here could see him foaming at the mouth and thumping his chest without provocation.

This whole thread was supposed to have a lighthearted theme, [hence the "thin skin disclaimer warnings"], but once again, some delicate folks end up getting bruised and battered like a bunch of lightweights..

Bob even sarcastically calls himself a "hack", yet when I joke around and do the same, I'm the one who ends up getting bit by a rabid forum user........Go figure :rolleyes:

Hell, at least I'm getting folks talking about the hobby and different approaches to building.......Yeah, whatever, I'm such a Bad A$$ for for actually starting a topic relevent to the hobby......SHEEESH!!

Is this forum great or what? you can get some entertainment and some nice modeling tips all in the same thread!! :P

Well I "Had" withdrawn my post realizing this would be the outcome in your typical as of late pointless thread Sauber....... but it looks like YOU need to keep it going and I just didnt get it deleted in time....... You are one of the reasons I dont post here anymore..... there is nothing to gain from your so called High and all knowing modeling dome.

Try writing an article sometime instead of starting threads like these........ your fan base is shrinking!

"Dave T"

I see Mr Thibodeau deleted his post but J. Sauber was only the third to lightheartedly call Zoom-Zoom a hack, the first being Bob himself!!!!! Talk about getting all excited about nothing!!!!! Jim was merely starting a discussion that was interesting and a bunch a people got their undies super bunched up. OY! ;)

Yep!!! But unfortunately I didnt delete it in time!! And look what happens... you jump on the J Sauber bandwagon!

After all..... he is the greatest! All hail J. Sauber...... :rolleyes::P;)

Flame on Buddies!!! I hope it makes you feel good and sleep better at nite....

Edited by David Thibodeau

Well I "Had" withdrawn my post realizing this would be the outcome in your typical as of late pointless thread Sauber....... but it looks like YOU need to keep it going and I just didnt get it deleted in time....... You are one of the reasons I dont post here anymore..... there is nothing to gain from your so called High and all knowing modeling dome.

Try writing an article sometime instead of starting threads like these........ your fan base is shrinking!

"Dave T"

Does this mean you won't be thinking of me at Christmas time? :rolleyes:

Seriously man, go play with your matches and gasoline can on somebody elses thread....Your the one creating issues and hostility here.

You come on to my thread crying up a storm and taking a few personal pot shots at me and you expect me not to respond?

Get lost troll, beat it.

Troll!!!! Hah!! good one Pot!

Well Mr. Davey boy, If you think I'm such a waste of time, why the hell are you still burning up your free hours talking a bunch of smack here on my thread?

Why don't you take your own advice and go build something.....and please finish washing the sand out of your vag...

Nice....... real nice.... now who is melting down???

Actually.... I am having fun screwing with you... I love to mess with bi polar individuals.....

Lock it down? So now your a moderator?? God help us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Your a gum flapper Dave....You ain't screwing with anybody, toughguy...

Your bascially just having a tantrum and not contribituting anything to the topic. Harry or Gregg will likely just shut it down....

OK.... Ok..... I am a gum flapper.... you got me.....

I can sleep better knowing you have me all figured out....

Thanks Buddy.... not only are you and incredible modeler but your psychic too!!

Man.... your awesome!

I wont be flapping my gums anymore.... I dont want you to flip out and start deleting all your topics again....

Catch ya later... Buddy.