Model Cars Magazine Forum

any one famous ?

Growing up a few miles from and now living in Kannapolis, N.C. afforded the oppurtunity to converse with and meet Dale Earnhardt, Sr. more than a few times over a period of years.

He and Neil Bonnett used to fish in the private lake of the local country club ( where my cousin works) and several times I got to be there when they were putting in or coming back out, fish in hand.

Neil Bonnett may have been the nicest person I ever met in my life, and absolutely the same in person as he was on TV.

Well...maybe Harry Gant, another great fella.

While millions know Dale as "The Intimidator", around here was just 'Dale", sometimes I would be eating a hot dog or hanburger at his mother's cafe and he would slip in and sat down for a burger himself.

Also met Ernie Irvan before anyone outside of the hardcore short track racing world knew who he was.

Joe Gibbs used to be a spotter for sons J.D. and Coy when they were racing Late Models, and I spoke to him several times as he was waiting in the spotter's stand for the previous race to finish before he had to turn on the radios ( never talked football with him, just racing).

I also met Lee Holman and Larry Wallace of Holman Automotive and got to see inside of the place, I touched the engine in the 3rd place finishing GT-40 in the famous 1-2-3 Ford win that is also a famous racing photograph ( they were re-storing it for the current owner).

I have an autographed framed poster of Shawna Robinson on my wall and well remember the day I got it, she gave much more than just a smile and nod when she was signing.

And stashed somewhere I have a REAL Daisy Duke autographed poster of Catherine Bach she did for me at a Custom Car Show over in Charlotte a long time ago.

I played one high school baseball game against Cal Ripken Jr. He was a senior ( and already signed to minor league ball if I recall) and I was a sophmore. If I'd known he'd become a great Hall of Famer I would have gotten his autograph!

I also know the famous Matt T. and quite a few other modelling celebrities...Lyle Willits, Bill Geary, Irv Arter, Dan Peterson...among others!

Told you I forgot one. I guess he's such a good friend I dont consider him famous anymore.

Cordell Taylor, played NFL for the Jacksonville Jaguars and Chicago Bears. Also played CFL and EFL.

I just remembered him when I called him this morning. Oh, he's famous. Its funny how after we get to know somebody really well we dont hold them accountable for being famous.

>Janis Joplin: deceased, alcohol.

the heroin didnt help either.

ive lived in the bay area a lot of my life and have known or been associated with a lot of people from the music industry there beginning with john lee hooker and mike bloomfield back in 69. used to see joplin driving her psychedelic painted porsche speedster up and down 101 from her place in larkspur.

last year i played reggae records for keith richards at my friends ranch.

being involved in sierra nevada world music festival has been an intro to a number of people over the years, most of whom most here would never have heard of. http://www.snwmf.com if youre interested.

i go bicycle riding with stanley mouse every so often...for those who dont remember he was ed roths main competitor in the t shirt biz back in the sixties until he moved out to sf to be a hippie and roth decided being a hells angel suited him better. main difference between the two was that roth would bring boxes of preprinted t shirts and he would squirt some color on them; mouse would bring blank shirts and draw the design on them. he went on to design many posters for various sf 60s dances and then became the artist for grateful dead albums primarily. ive met all those dead folks through him one time or another.

a more car related thing would be stevie ray vaughns brother, whose name i forget offhand (jimmy maybe?), but he has a nice 1:1 custom and often goes to car shows on the west coast. one time he brought along his buddy eric clapton but i wasnt around to meet him.

and my friend who runs superior metalcraft often repairs the lead singer and harmonica player for little charlie and the nightcats, rick estrins, 55 el dorado when he is allowed to drive it (invariably straight into immovable objects).

Most of my contacts with famous people happened at Mid-Ohio.

Dan Gurney almost ran me over with his scooter.

Paul Newman parked next to me in his rental car.

Walter Peyton gave me his autograph after spinning his race car.

I got to spend an hour with Benny Parsons at a local car show. I also met Mutt Anderson (famous Indy car mechanic) and Pat Dakin (drag racer) at the same show.

This is a great topic.

Boy are you guys a bunch of name droppers! :)

As a die hard drag race fan, I have to believe that I have the greatest job in the sport (maybe the whole world). Since becoming the lead announcer at Raceway Park (Englishtown NJ). I have not only been able to meet and interview most of my drag racing heroes but a lot of folks from the entertainment world as well. There are very few in the sport that I have not met or talked to. Surprisingly, I have never met John Force although I had a great interview with daughter Ashley this past season. She did the color commentary for Alcohol Funny Car at this year's Lucas Oil race.

Some others that I was able to meet: Chuck Zito (OZ), Chris Titus, Indian Larry, wrestler Nick Foley, Mario Andretti, and a bunch more. We had the shop crew from O.C.C. at one of our races last year. None of them but Vinny would get on the mic with me. Vinny is a cool guy. The only thing that he wanted to do was run his Berreta down the track! Funny, but I can't remember the names of any "rock stars" or politicians that I have met at the race track!

WF

Here's a short list of the famous, semi-famous and infamous folks I've had the opportunity to meet and/or interview ...

John Prine

Merle Haggard

Steve Earle

Emmylou Harris

Sam Walton

Al Unser Jr.

Carl Perkins

Ricky Skaggs

Wynonna, Naomi and Ashley Judd

Delbert McClinton

Del McCoury

Levi Stubbs (The Four Tops)

John McEuen and Jimmy Ibbotson (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band)

Terry Labonte

Mark Martin

John Hiatt

Marilyn Quail (the former VP's wife)

Brandon Webb ('06 NL Cy Young Award winner)

Patty Loveless

Rebecca Lynn Howard (country singer)

Gene Winfield

Robin Zander and Tom Peterson (Cheap Trick)

Jeeez, did you work for the Rolling Stone magazine?

Got a few under my hat, so to speak. Met Ronald Reagan and got to have lunch with him in Milwaukee on a campaign stop. Also met Alan Kulwicki and Dick Trickle (my mom knew him when young kids) When I lived in Santa Barbara I met John Travolta, Robert Mitchum (he would buy booze and drink with the winos on the beach) Met Joan Baez whilst delivering a couch to a DJ friend. Met Cassandra Peterson (Elvira, Mistress Of The Dark) Roger DeCoster, a motocross racer for the Suzuki team. Lynn Anderson, a jazz musician in rehab at the center I worked at. In the 70s, I smoked a substance with the guy who eventually became Mayor of the City of Madison; Paul Soglin. Also roadied for David LaFlamme (previously of It's A Beautiful Day)in northern California. Won a karaoke contest and got to cut a record with Fabrice Movan, 1/2 of Milli Vanilli...uh don't laugh, this guy can actually sing. We did a version of No Woman, No Cry by Bob Marley. There are more but age and "other Things from the seventies" causes me to forget from time to time...oh oh, and Brooks Stevens, a famous industrial designer and creator of the Excalibur cars + Alain Clenet, creator of the Clenet cars in santa Barbara. Oh yeah, met Julia Child buying fish from the fish monger on the pier in SB

jbwelda, I bought a 1974 SD-455 Trans Am awhile back and had it transported to me from Oregon. Well upon arrival of the transporter and watching the door open to see my car, their in the top row all alone was Janis Joplin's Porsche.

We could only look and not touch. I have some pictures of it around here somewhere and I'll have to scan them in, but talk about a cool piece of art. The driver told me the Porsche was pushed into the truck with white gloved personnel and would not be touched again until it made its way to the Rock and Roll museum.

The car had no fluids in it. I was told this because it had been stolen at one time and when it was recovered they decided to deter any would be thieves by draining the fluids.

Anyway, like I said, I'll have to dig those pics out and scan them in.

Chris

I met all of tha guys in tha Kinks (back in 64/65)when their agent set them up a gig at Robinson High School's football field in tampa, FL.....but I don't remember much of them or their names...Orange Sunshine is what I think they called it...... :D saw tha Shangrilas do 'Leader of tha Pack' with a Mattel what did they call that plastic motorcycle sound maker...tha girls got to laughing so hard they couldn't finish tha song.... :twisted: