Model Cars Magazine Forum

glues glues glues

Ok I was at my LHS yesterday and was looking at some glues because I'm tired of being let down by the tesors glue in the orange tube. The sales guy told me that BOTH Tenax and Ambroid were no longer made, that the companies were out of business. Am I the last one to hear this, or am I just crazy? I'm thinking both.

Looks that way Hebco who made Tenax 7R is no longer listed in the domain registery, and has been discontinued by the major suppliers.

IIRC it was exactly no or low oder acetone, but I would need to see a MSDS again.

Nope

it's

Dichloromethane - (Methylene Chloride) which can be purchased at science outlets.

Or can be found as Methylene Chloride in hardware store paint strippers.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhf/R-100180773/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Edited by CAL

Looks that way Hebco who made Tenax 7R is no longer listed in the domain registery, and has been discontinued by the major suppliers.

IIRC it was exactly no or low oder acetone, but I would need to see a MSDS again.

Ambroid was hard to find ealier this year and verybody said it was not made anymore . Even the guys at HobbyTown said that but I just boughtsome at Hobbytown last month.

Ambroid Pro-Weld is widely available again, it was hard to get for awhile. I was using Plastruct Bondene when I could not get it. It worked just as well. I never liked Tenax because it lost it's strength after a month or two after buying it. Something must of evaporated but the volume did not change.

Ambroid Pro-Weld is widely available again, it was hard to get for awhile. I was using Plastruct Bondene when I could not get it. It worked just as well. I never liked Tenax because it lost it's strength after a month or two after buying it. Something must of evaporated but the volume did not change.

There isn't anything in Tenax to evaporate but itself. It is a compound rather than a cocktail.

Ok I was at my LHS yesterday and was looking at some glues because I'm tired of being let down by the tesors glue in the orange tube. The sales guy told me that BOTH Tenax and Ambroid were no longer made, that the companies were out of business. Am I the last one to hear this, or am I just crazy? I'm thinking both.

I've tried Tamiya (liquid) Cement and it does a good job. Personally I still use the orange Testors tube for my heavy duty work. Just don't forget to scrape the paint/plating off your joints first and give it a good couple hours to set. The orange tube is useless if you don't scrape first, but used right it will fuse joints that won't come undone.

The HTU I work at hasn't been able to get Tenax for quite some time and I had heard that they closed up too. One of the places we sourced the stuff from is Great Planes (Tower's parent company) and I just checked their dealer access only search page (luckily I actually remembered the log in since I'm at home......:) )and it's showing a stock status of Discontinued by G.P. I also looked for the Product info and under comments it had this listed;

COMMENTS: Contains Chlorinated Hydrocabons, Harmful If Swallowed Or Inhaled.

For Eye Contact Flush With Water. Do Not Induce Vomiting If

Swallowed. Call A Physician. Keep Out Of Reach Of Children.

I just looked up the page on Tower, they're showing it as disco'd too.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHU34&P=7

Edited by Joe Handley

I found a few places online that had Tenax 7R on hand. Most of the places don't have it. The Tenax website is for sale but had an email address. I emialed that yesterday asking to settle a rumor and haven't heard back. I'm going to call my LHS later today to see if they have aany Tenax and maybe offer to buy all their supply.