Model Cars Magazine Forum

Heller Renault 4Cv Voiture Pie

Foxer

I just received this kit from Lyn (one of her Dads old kits has a welcome home, I promise!) and I am surprised at the level of detail in this oldie. The body is very sharp with little in the way of mold lines, The engine is pretty highly detailed for the era and should look fantastic with a few wires. The fit of the trunk and engine covers is tight as a drum.

I always liked these old 4CVs and I figure this Police Version with the door cutouts will make a good looking Beach Machine. Dont think Im going to do many custom touches as I love the stock body, but it WILL be a mild custom.

A few things Im thinking that Id love to see some input and ideas from you all on. Bumpers are gone and will mold in the rear lower pan thats now attached to the frame. Maybe will need some small nerf bars of some form.

The front gril bars are in the air. I could use some thoughts an custom possibilities here. There are small slots below the bumper in front that would be good to model. This is a rear engine, rear drive car so no open grill area IS required.

The racing forms of this car with fatter tires and widened fenders looks cool, but Im want to leave the stock wheels as they are a 4 CV icon .. the 5 pointed star with those lug nuts way out towards the rim. They are deep in the rims and look like they were reversed even! This is in 1955 in Paris .. and they would NEVER take any Hot Rod ques from America back then! Maybe I can at least get some wider rubber on them.

This is the box art for the kit:

58686_0_bb3845029db372c17226a4b5eac.jpg

heres a few photos that show areas I talked about above:

564CV_Renault_-_front.jpg

51805172050501078.jpg

renault4cv-2.jpg

This may be in the On the Workbench section but it’s not there yet as I have a pile of stuff screaming for attention., Just doing research now and fishing for ideas. :blink:

Edited by Foxer

I'd like to add some thin wood trim along the top of the door cutout and could use some suggestions concerning the feasibility of forming the wood to follow the shape curve and what type of wood would be best for the forming process. I assume it would involve a slow process of wetting the wood and bending a small amount at a time.I am including a photo showing the material that was used and the wood would encompass the same area. The width on the model would be only about 3/16".

door4CV_PIE_EXPO_PORTE.jpg

Renault4CV_DSC3526.jpg

Here's an overall shot with the seat, I like the simplicity of the seat.. just a tube frame with thin material. There is an inside interior piece with the interior sides and the wheel wells on it. It fits VERY well and greatly improves the look. I'm very impressed with the level and quality of this ancient kit!

Renault4CV_DSC3527.jpg

And, if you have a "tree" in your name, I'd REALLY appreciate your input! :D

Edited by Foxer

Super vachement chouette! I've wanted to see one of these built up for a long time. And even wanted to build one myself from time to time; then I remind myself how much of a challenge the Heller Citroens and Talbots I've built were, and I give up that desire.

As much as I'm for building it as originally intended, I really can't wait to see what you come up with in the way of a mild custom. Keep us posted and bonne chance.

Thank you thank you thank you for the link.. I didn't know there was issues with the models from this company, I am so happy that this one was not one that has those problems. I am curious about the wood, you really would use real wood? I guess I figured most would use some decales from another model for what you want.. I am looking forward to more posts on it.. Thank you again :)

Hey Mike biggrin.gif

Glad ta see ya doing this old CV4 kit.

I wanna do a street rod version some day. LOVE THAT LITTLE CAR rolleyes.gif .

The wood thing would be pretty easy.

Ya don't have ta bend the wood.

If you have a bandsaw, you could get yourself some nice walnut, cherry, or whatever ya like.

Slice it to whatever thickness the body is, then lay it against the body and trace out the top of the door.

If you have a dremal tool and a few sanders and small burrs, the rest should be easy - NO BENDING wink.gif .

Be kinda thin when you get it all done, but look REALLY CLASSY.

A little sanding, and some clear lacquer, and "VOILA" - WOOD TRIM smile.gif

The wood thing would be pretty easy.

Ya don't have ta bend the wood.

If you have a bandsaw, you could get yourself some nice walnut, cherry, or whatever ya like.

Slice it to whatever thickness the body is, then lay it against the body and trace out the top of the door.

If you have a dremal tool and a few sanders and small burrs, the rest should be easy - NO BENDING wink.gif .

Be kinda thin when you get it all done, but look REALLY CLASSY.

A little sanding, and some clear lacquer, and "VOILA" - WOOD TRIM smile.gif

Ah, Dave .. I knew you've have the easy way. :lol: doh .. I never even considered just cutting it out! Sounds doable. now for a wood search. :) Thanks for the input. :)

Much easier to bend the wood than to try and cut out a curved shape. Get some thin wood strip like the kind they use on model ships for planking and trim, soak it in a glass of water overnight, then next day take it out, form it to the curve of the door cutout by attaching it to the door with masking tape. Once it dries, it'll spring out a little, but not much. Then just test fit, trim the excess off the ends, stain, varnish or clear acrylic, and CA glue into place. You'll get a perfect fit around the cutout radius without trying to saw out a curved piece that's not only got the correct curve, but also has uniform thickness throughout. It's MUCH easier to use the strip/soak/bend method.

BTW... if you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, they have a nice selection of balsa and basswood in different thicknesses. You can stain it any color you like to make it look like "walnut," "cherry," or whatever.

I had some 1/32 basswood lumber on hand so tried Harry's bending method. I do like the idea of not spending all the time carving out a cut shape, but that's just my laziness showing. B) The basswood bent to the large curve on the front door easily. The rear door piece is mostly straight but has sharp 90 degree bends at each end, as can be seen in the attached photo. I suspect this piece would would need two splices. I'll see how this goes and may be getting the heavy duty Dremel out later to try Dave's suggestion. :P

DoorTrim_DSC3529.jpg

Edited by Foxer

That there is one wub.gif cute li'l ride Mike! I can see it as some kinda altered drag racin' kinda mini thohuh.gif with some huge slicks filling up them li'l rear fendersunsure.gif .....anyhow, don't mind mebiggrin.gif

You was asking fer ideas in that front grille area. Soon as I saw that li'l hood and it's lines I thought 39-40 Ford grille! Probably really have to be cut down, but might just be the perfect proportion and a bit of a mild custom look to it?

At any rate, it's looking really good so far.cool.gif

haha CB ... you mean something like this?

Carscoop_RR4CV-0.jpg

I DO love this look with huge rear fenders, but so far I'm resisting the urge :rolleyes:

The 40 Ford front grill has been in my mind ... it does have a extended nose, but like you say, may need to be cut down some. The 40 may fit better with it's narrowness, but I always liked the look of the 39 more.. Now that you mention it, I believe I have both and will have to give a closer eyeball.

Edited by Foxer

A very small update as this project starts to gel .. the wood door strips didn't work out that great, but may have been due somewhat to my just testing this method. The wood creased at the point of the most extreme curvature and was unsuitable. It may be overcome with more practice, but I see the rear doors requiring greater bends and will explore Dave's "cut it out" procedure. I still feel either method would be workable in the end.

on other fronts.. this will NOT be what my build ends up

I also came upon a v1deo of the start up of the flat black 4CV with twin-turbo Subaru engine above showing the widened fenders before they were completely filled in. just as point of interest.

A very small update as this project starts to gel .. the wood door strips didn't work out that great, but may have been due somewhat to my just testing this method. The wood creased at the point of the most extreme curvature and was unsuitable. It may be overcome with more practice, but I see the rear doors requiring greater bends and will explore Dave's "cut it out" procedure. I still feel either method would be workable in the end.

on other fronts.. this will NOT be what my build ends up

I also came upon a v1deo of the start up of the flat black 4CV with twin-turbo Subaru engine above showing the widened fenders before they were completely filled in. just as point of interest.

Hey Mike :)

I loved the "Mud-Renault" video :lol: .

Made some advancement with the wood trim. I found a scrap piece of furniture, maybe mahogany, and ripped a 3/16" thick piece with the old table saw. Traced the shape and ground it out with the Dremel. This piece was practice to see how this method would work and seems to be very doable and easy with a more careful test and fit. I like the look and will help the "look" with a surfboard sticking out the window. .. making the surfboard in next I think.

WoofTrace_DSC3558.jpg

woodSide_DSC3559.jpg

woodSide_DSC3560.jpg

Edited by Foxer

• 7 months later...

So I was going through some old 3D car files I've acquired over the years ... it's been 10 years since I did much 3d, and found I had 3D meshes of some of the odd cars I've started, including this Renault 4Cv. I started wondering if trying my ideas out in 3D before cutting plastic or that dreadful body painting ( :lol: ) would make any sense. This may be the one to try it on since the mods I plan aren't THAT deep, but the paint I haven't considered much yet. I was thinking a yellow like is already mapped to this mesh, but not that shade. I WILL have to cut the door to match the model, but that's easier than in plastic ... kind of my reasoning.

These are quick renders of the 3D model I have, just so you all know what I'm dawdling on about. :D

484CV.jpg

484CV2.jpg

Now, if they just threw  in 3D meshes in all model boxes!! :)

Edited by Foxer

That front seat would be an AWESOME piece to re-pop in resin. I can see using one of those in a rat rod 32... I'm just sayin.

You have a point there. I love the look of the seat as it will look good with the "beach" build I plan with this, but I never though of rat rod material .. would look good there too.

I've done a few engines in resin, but am not up to casting this piece in my present mode. I have no problem lending it to one of the resin casters here if he had am inking. This build will be toward the bottom of my stack for some time, so it will be free for some time. :angry: