Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aston Martin Db4-1/25 Revell Monogram Update-May 14, 2012

simonr

This is pretty astonishing and I've been reserving my accolades for the finished build. But like mr moto, I'm interested in seeing pictures of the wheels and tires you're using since they might be appropriate for my Aurora/Monogram Maserati 3500 GTi. Model Factory Hiro Borranis proved to be too big, with larger rear wheels, and appear to be intended for the Ferrari GTO.

Let the awesomeness continue.

Hi Skip, oh yes, I bet the ones I used are the ones you will use, since I'was looking around for some time and for our luck there's more Borrani sets around than before with release of kits that use thi fine wheels, like Ferrari 250GTO's and the Testarossas. But, these wheels, like you have told, are to big for this ones that doesn't have an agressive sport look,like those cars. So, I guess in the next update I will post them, it'll be soon, noy like the last time almos 4 months ago...I hope..jejeje :lol:

Simón P. Rivera Torres

This is pretty astonishing and I've been reserving my accolades for the finished build. But like mr moto, I'm interested in seeing pictures of the wheels and tires you're using since they might be appropriate for my Aurora/Monogram Maserati 3500 GTi. Model Factory Hiro Borranis proved to be too big, with larger rear wheels, and appear to be intended for the Ferrari GTO.

Let the awesomeness continue.

• 1 year later...

After so much time with no updates, I have some more pictures...

I noticed that the glass for the doors is too thick in scale for the model, I tried to scale it down sanding it, but, I didn't get the size I want. I got a better result and size using K&S plastic clear acetate.

CSC_0482.jpg

For the bumpers reflectors, I drill a hole and placed a plastic rod that I painted red.

CSC_0477.jpg

At the rear I noticed the lights cluster in unreal, the plastic part goes over the hole and the correct is supposed to go inside. Here you guys can see both versions:

CopyofHPIM005702.jpg

P5204583.jpg

I reworked it using a piece of aluminum sheet, tubing, and Ka Jinkers links (a plastic pinhead used in handcraft) for the lights:

DSC_0787.jpg

This is what I did; it's much better now and more real than the stock kit parts:

DSC_0728.jpg

DSC_0790.jpg

Here, you guys can see what I really wanted, the correct lights ensemble and the corrected bumpers:

am001531.jpg

Here I installed the front grill using the Detail Master's Front Grill Rectangle #2585 that has the same rectangle pattern, all the chromed details, glass, the tiny Model Factory Hiro "Superleggera" scripts, and the chrome foil.

DSC_08792.jpg

Same view, but, at the rear:

CSC_08953.jpg

Edited by simonr

Everything opened, notice the correct scale thin of the doors' glass:

CSC_09013.jpg

A detail that much modelers has questioned me: What set of Borranis I would use? Well, with the arriving of the Hasegawa's Ferrari 250 Testarosa and the different 250 GTO's, there's plenty of Borranis to chose, but...Does anyone has the correct features I was looking for?...15 inch and the all 4 narrows tires and wheel combo, who's is the one that makes the correct ones?...Reinassance!...The only thing is the high price. Since I live in Puerto Rico, I was charged from France to here a shipping quote of 100 dollars!...The real fine artwork of this borranis really worth it, and besides its the only set available in the 15 inch measurements, but, I considered it myself real expensive.

Starting with the wheels, there's no doubt is a perfect job and they come already assembled:

DSC_09042.jpg

The only problem are the tires, they need some good time of sanding and trimming to get it right. I consider that for that real high price tag they should come real perfect:

DSC_0913.jpg

To complete the perfect look of the tires/wheel combo, I used the Sakatsu Knock offs that are thicker than the Reinassance photo etch style part, but, for the center nut, I decided to use the Reinassance one. Sakatsu parts at the left, Reinassance parts at the right:

DSC_0915.jpg

Here we can see at last, the model started to look like a real car and show us the beauty of an Aston Martin DB4:

DSC_0781.jpg

DSC_0783.jpg

DSC_0784.jpg

For the engine, as I did until now with body, a lot of work has to be done to take this model to the real car standards. I consider the engine the feature and the most detailed part of this model car.

Here you guys can see a picture of the stock engine of the model:

HPIM0382-vi2.jpg

These are pictures of where I would like to take this engine:

bigd.jpg

bige.jpg

Edited by simonr

Aston2-vi.jpg

Let's start...

The engine block was sanded and reworked to accept some items:

CSC_0801.jpg

The cylinder head has to be reworked too. What I like is that, like the engine block, maybe it doesn't have the complete detail, but, it comes with al the guides to do the correct alterations:

CSC_0799.jpg

These pulleys where altered to double as the camshaft cover's

Breather cap:

CSC_0803.jpg

On the cylinder head, a length of aluminum tubing, photo etch hose clamps, Model Factory Hiro white metal spark plug boots and distributor, solder for the headers, R&B Motion acorn nuts, and a syringe needle(for the ignition lead tube) was used for the complete detail:

CSC_08972.jpg

CSC_08952.jpg

General view of the main engine:

CSC_0885.jpg

CSC_0891.jpg

Some other parts have to be scratch built in order to complete the engine bay.

I will start with the washer fluids bottle. As you guys can see here, the model's stock part is far away from the actual part:

WASHERBOTTLE.jpg

CSC_0605.jpg

Edited by simonr

I will do the part using an acrylic glass rod:

CSC_06033.jpg

I sanded it using different sanding sticks, then a final buff using my Dremel:

CSC_06373.jpg

For the cap I used some plastic and then painted the part at the bottom with some Alclad II blue tint. Also used a fishing line for the connector line:

CSC_06113.jpg

The completed part:

CSC_06393.jpg

Same thing happens with the water tank, the model part is far away...

CSC_06453.jpg

Real part:

120704db41.jpg

Using some Milliput, wire (for the molding), and a turned radiator cap I transformed the part to the actual part standards:

CSC_0656-1.jpg

This is the scratch built voltage regulator:

CSC_05473.jpg

Real Fuses boxes and parts I did:

FusesBoxes.jpg

CSC_0654.jpg

Edited by simonr

CSC_0660.jpg

These coils served as the staring point for the brakes reservoir tanks:

CSC_053830.jpg

The model's servo unit was used as a base and detailed with plastic and bolts to do the new part. Here you can see the real and model parts:

31904db7.jpg

121104db48.jpg

9316_12.jpg

CSC_0857.jpg

Real air cleaner and scratch built parts:

015_423.jpg

020-008-0125AWNEW2.jpg

CSC_0652.jpg

:

Edited by simonr

The engine bay until now. In the first picture, at the upper right corner you guys can noticed the scratch built brake master cylinder already connected:

DSC_0846.jpg

DSC_0844.jpg

The exhaust system also had to be updated:

UnderR122-2.jpg

New parts:

CSC_0916.jpg

CSC_0921.jpg

Incredible work. You makes it looks easy, even though it is not..................

Have too arest You on the wheels. South Eastern Finecast makes MGB wheels in 1/24 scale. These would be very close to correct for You in 1/25. Also the price is half the one You payed.

Price is 14.04 £

SP01.jpg

Edited by Bugace

Incredible work. You makes it looks easy, even though it is not..................

Have too arest You on the wheels. South Eastern Finecast makes MGB wheels in 1/24 scale. These would be very close to correct for You in 1/25. Also the price is half the one You payed.

Price is 14.04 £

SP01.jpg

Do these come assembled? I need good wire wheels for my 1/25 Maserati GT (a sister kit to Simon's Aston) but the MFH wires were too large - supposedly "dual scale" 1/24-1/25, but really made for a 1/24 Ferrari GTO, with deep dish rear wheels.

Good to know, just keep in the 15 inch 4 narrow configuration,since,most of Borranis are made to suit the 250 GTO's and those are 16 inch and wider at the rear.

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Price is 14.04 £

SP01.jpg

Do these come assembled? I need good wire wheels for my 1/25 Maserati GT (a sister kit to Simon's Aston) but the MFH wires were too large - supposedly "dual scale" 1/24-1/25, but really made for a 1/24 Ferrari GTO, with deep dish rear wheels.

They are kits. PE wires. I think if You wish them ready made, you have to pay a bit more. You might contact South Eastern Finecast directly, asking if they sell them ready made as well. Be sure that tires are included.

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/

My self are going to order the wheel kits for the MGB, MGTC, Austin 7, as well as theire Rover V8 engine.

I found this picture where these wheels are used.

06.jpg

Edited by Bugace