Model Cars Magazine Forum

GROUP 5 RACING BUILD OFF

3men2s

Well, parts are comming togeather. The hood is now finished with the striker plates for the hood pins and the Porsche badge in place.

DSCN0053.jpg

The glass is done. I replaced the Tamiya piece with Squadron Termoform plastic. Much thinner and no distortions.

DSCN0056.jpg

The window clips are also in place

DSCN0058.jpg

DSCN0059.jpg

A lot more detail work on the body to go, but the project is nearing the end.

Next step is to get the front clip attached to the rest of the body. I had to attach the hood temporarily with pins and some .016" wire to get it positioned correctly. Then the front clip is lined up and glued with the front air screens in place. Not an easy alignment.

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

Do a little each day and you get done. Here is the air intake on the right fender. Tamiya screen with an SMS photo etched overlay. I used a railroaders product called Blacken It to make the piece black. It is an acid etch that blackens metal on the surface. You have to dip the metal in a baking soda bath after to stop the acid. Gives metal a real aged look.

DSCN0060.jpg

THE 935 IS OK.

JUST KIDDING, ITS ONE OF THE BEST BUILDS I HAVE SEEN.

LOTS OF REALISTIC DETAILS.3 YEARS, WELL WORTH.

SIR, I TAKE OF MY HAT TO YOU...THATNKS FOR PARTICIPATING

IN THIS BUILD OFF. LET'S KEEP GROUP FIVE AND ALL KIND OF NOSTALGIC

RACING ALIVE WITH THIS HOBBY.

WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS NOW??? :)

THE 935 IS OK.

JUST KIDDING, ITS ONE OF THE BEST BUILDS I HAVE SEEN.

LOTS OF REALISTIC DETAILS.3 YEARS, WELL WORTH.

SIR, I TAKE OF MY HAT TO YOU...THATNKS FOR PARTICIPATING

IN THIS BUILD OFF. LET'S KEEP GROUP FIVE AND ALL KIND OF NOSTALGIC

RACING ALIVE WITH THIS HOBBY.

WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS NOW??? :)

Thank you! As to the future, my wife has a "honey do" list as long as your arm. Actually I have a number of unfinished projects that got started but hit the back burner in the process of this build. I have a CLK Merc, a couple of Surfit's and some egg planes that I want to do. I also have 4 more of these. A K3 comes to mind.

I gotta say Cal,thats one sweet car,I remember when I used to be able to afford to build like that.detail is just incredable.I am reposting since an earlier post as I finally figured out with the help of AzTom how to post a full pic rather than a thumb that wouldn't open,aint the best work but enjoyable ,here they are:

bhbmw1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

nissan1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

bhlanc2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I just have to add that I agree with a the members of this thread. The old Group 4 & 5 racers are really great looking cars. For the most part they look like street cars that really got a strong dose of steroids! They were also brutal to drive. Porsche practically invented a new definition of turbo lag. Watching the turbo kick in at mid corner was fun to watch, but it took a skilled driver to handle the thing. Great racing and great looking cars. Keep it up guys. I love to see all these old cars. :D

I built this one a couple of years ago so I am not entering it, it is here for looks only. This kit is being re-issued by Tamiya this year for anybody wanting to build it. I did tint the back window yellow which is correct for this car. I also built a full roll cage but it forcrd me to cutout the side windows and replace with thinner plastic.

f_3hy8lrh6w3km_d8e3090.jpg

f_3hy8lrh6w3km_3a63d94.jpg

f_3hy8lrh6w3km_5a3c9cb.jpg