Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Dremel would you buy?

I have 3 Dremels. An old corded model, a big cordless Multipro model, and a newer cordless Stylus model that's smaller & more ergonomically designed...and it has amazing torque even at low speed.

Dremel Stylus

It's by far my favorite, but I need a backup (I keep the old Multipro charged & have the corded version too) as it gives no warning when the battery is going to run out. Once charged it keeps the charge, but as you use it (and I have only recharged it several times) there's no way to tell the battery level; it works just fine, then shuts off. All my Dremels were gifts over the years; if I had to buy one it would be the Stylus.

I'll agree with Bob, my Stylus is perfect for my needs. Cordless, good power, small and compact design. It sits right to the side of my modeling desk at all times ready to rock and roll. Although I do have an ancient corded unit that to this day is a workhorse and has never failed me. I use that for more "hardcore" cutting and sanding.

I have 3 Dremels. An old corded model, a big cordless Multipro model, and a newer cordless Stylus model that's smaller & more ergonomically designed...and it has amazing torque even at low speed.

Dremel Stylus

It's by far my favorite...if I had to buy one it would be the Stylus.

I'll agree with Bob, my Stylus is perfect for my needs. Cordless, good power, small and compact design. It sits right to the side of my modeling desk at all times ready to rock and roll...

I agree with these guys, you can't beat the Dremel Stylus for size, shape, power, ease of use... Since I started using it a couple of years ago, all the other Dremel tools have been given away.

Later,

ive been meaning to buy a stylus on your suggestion raul, just havent gotten to it yet. i still use my trusty mini mite cordless. keep two battery packs around so its always got a charge. my corded one is out in the garage for heavy duty tasks. even with a pedal control i always found it way too much for plastic work, will melt stuff real quick if youre not careful. the cordless has pretty much perfect torque and speed. and its amazing how much more comfortable it is to not have a ac cord in the way.

the stylus seems to really be the stuff. its definately what i would invest in if i were looking for a first or replacement dremel.

When I was comparing moto tools, I picked the Black and Decker RTX-1. It had almost double the power of the same type of Dremel(corded). It is a multi-speed tool, and I haven't found any Dremel accessories that won't fit it.

I surpised no one else brought up moto tools. That seems like the cat's meow.

I have an older corded 410 with the variable speed, 5000 - 30000 rpm. I also have the flex shaft and the drill press attachments. I bought it new about 18 years ago and it still works great. In my opinion the money was well spent. The cordless ones are cool but with the flex shaft I don't really need cordless and besides it's not like I build models out in the middle of the yard...I do it in the house where's there's electrical outlets lol.