Model Cars Magazine Forum

what would be best for plug wires?

Thanks, guys, I did see that gauge size, but I'm looking for the total diameter including wire plus the insulation in either inches or millimeters. I only ask because different manufacturers have different insulation thicknesses which can make the difference between .01" or .025". One looks like a spark plug wire and the other like a heater hose. I appreciate the help.

Edited by Union Modelworks

I didn't know they fit!!!!

the air filters I planned did not fit......I never went back.....the stacks got stuckhuh.gifhuh.gif

Nice Job! I also use MCM and chose the Vertex mag. I've only built two models recently since a 45+ year layoff LOL and did a JJ F/C first (authenticity be d@mned, it looked nice) and again on an AMT '66 Nova I'm just about finished with. Your gasser looks totally "gassed" and I love it. Coincidentally, I got a similar paint effect after botching the 1st Nova body. I got a spare on Ebay and stripped the 1st one so I could practice on it. My base color was gold though. Now you've given me courage to try again. I use cans though - not much room for error there.

• 1 month later...

A little stale on this topic, but my brain was wandering still waiting for SLIXX mini-sheets ordered a month or more ago... While I like the idea of spark plugs and I even see where the hollow section of a hypo would assist in the oil dipstick, I don't know and don't care to know where to get "sharps" from.

I was in my hobby store the other day looking at the styrene rack and they had plastic rods even smaller than this diameter and increasing. Since the spark plug wouldn't be showing, my solution would be use a small dremel to open up a spark plug hole and glue same size rod pieces as the hypo above. Then, using the smallest appropriate diameter black shrink wrap you can find, mate up the plug wire with the rod end as it exits the head hole. Use a hair dryer and presto! Instant plug insulator and connector to the plug wire.

Me thinks this might also give a very 1:1 lifelike effect. For enines like my Glidden '86 prostock t-bird, the huge heads already have a small hollow plug-like tube molded coming out of the head. A little more tenuous, but same technique. There's gotta be a lot more uses for that shrink wrap the pro's know that I haven't even thought of, like padding appearance for roll cages (just make a cut down the sleeve to fit around the bar's length and turn it downwards so it can't be readily seen). Can you tell I'm burned out from working on my current AMT '66 Nova project? Technically my 1st build, I dumped so much hand-made and donor detail into it and left the body for last. Being my first shoot and using rattle cans, it took 4 bodies to get a good job. And yes, I know about the purple pond. It just never took the paint off fast or well enough. Lessons learned are like bridges burned I hope!