Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Top Fuel Bike (Larry "Spiderman" McBride)

ScrappyJ

This has been a project in the making for about 4-5 years. Most of what you see, was done in the first 3-months of the build, but I was able to get some work done by my friend Bob Dudek (the best machinist I know personally).

I hope to get this one finished soon as I have promised Larry three of them, one for himself and the other two for his co-crew chiefs (his brother Steve McBride and Roland). Couple of pics include the side plates Bob so masterfully replicated in Aluminum for me.

On the left is a plastic, styrene master I made for Bob to replicate. Price of plastic, $0.45; cost of my time, free; cost of part...$45/hr; expression on face when you receive the part, priceless:

IMG_1482-vi.jpg

The side plate and the front brace (just in front of the output primary from the crankshaft). Also machined by master machinist, Bob Dudek

IMG_1485-vi.jpg

The primary side plate on the bike with the front brace

IMG_1472-vi.jpg

This is the side plate for the output from the transmission. It helps to stabilize the sprocket (over 1,400 HP and if you ever hear or seen them, they sound almost like the TF cars, wicked)

IMG_1467-vi.jpg

In the following picture, I made the one on the left, free-hand and Bob copied it for me

IMG_1487-vi.jpg

Here are a few links to some Youtube coverage of these bikes. Sub six second runs, over 240-250 mph:

Edited by ScrappyJ

Thanks, Blake! Most of these bikes have their own bottom-end and cylinder design and run heavily-modified heads. Larry was sporting a Kawasaki head, but I think he's switched to Suzuki. I had an old Katana head, so modified it to sit a-top of the bottom-end and cylinders I machined.

I've posted pics on here before, but it has been so long, I'll post some again. Hopefully, I can get some decent progress going again.

Bob Dudek beadlock wheels. Exquisite:

beadlockwheel-vi.jpg

Untitled23-vi.jpg

CRW_0132_RJ-vi.jpg

I'm drooling all over my computer. This is FABulous :angry: work. The frame, cover, wheels... are incredible. I can't wait to see more. I wish that someone made a 1:25 or 1:24 scale drag bike so us mere mortals can get in on the action. Keep it up. I will watch this build with great anticipation.

Hey Dirk,

Nice work.

When you get to a decent level in model building, could you let me know so I could see some of your work in person?

Looks like you are just barely past the "out of the box stock" phase.

And before most of you blow a vein out of the side of your head, I'm teasing him.

David

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, Gents!

@ Mike: Other than the CNC parts Bob did, it pales in comparison to that Evo project (just my opinion).

@ Bob and Dave: Sometimes I feel like the Tootsie Roll Owl. I start out with good intentions, but then I get going and can't help myself. I do want to try an OOB, but I know it won't be anything like some of the fantastic OOB I see going on.

Here are some pictures of the wood bucks I carved to vacuum-form the upper and lower fairings and the body. I forget what type of wood I used, but bought it from Michaels and it comes with about six 2X4X6 and several, various other sizes. In some cases, I had to glue pieces of wood together in order to get the proper dimension going. Once the bucks took their basic shapes, I used glazing putty to add back any areas that need it.

Pics of the body buck and one with the vacuumed styrene in process of being trimmed:

IMG_1627-vi.jpg

IMG_1628-vi.jpg

IMG_1632-vi.jpg

The buck for the bottom fairing that covers the fuel cell area:

IMG_1619-vi.jpg

IMG_1621-vi.jpg

IMG_1620-vi.jpg

The buck for the upper fairing:

IMG_1622-vi.jpg

IMG_1623-vi.jpg