Model Cars Magazine Forum

Great idea for display cases

I was at the Charlotte Auto Fair yesterday and came upon these folks selling display cases for model cars.

case01-vi.jpg

They're pretty neat looking but this one was priced at $450.00! Yikes!

They can't be that hard to make so here are some more for inspiration:

case02-vi.jpg

case03-vi.jpg

case04-vi.jpg

I haven't gone that exotic but have made display cases from and oak base with plexiglass walls & top and I used clear silicone caulk in the corners. We recently renovated our lanai and I have several cabinet doors that will get the plexiglass walls/top.

My wife bought me a 24 or 27 car display case from Carney Plastics for Christmas and it's great. It's almost full and I'll need another one. What's nice about the Carney unit is that the mirror back has holes dilled in the back that just happen to be 16" on center - excellent for hanging the unit on a wall.

Sure do - and here's the pics;

100_1940.jpg

100_1941.jpg

100_1942.jpg

I had the oak bases laying around. The plexiglass is from Home Depot that I cut to size. I don't remember how much it cost but it's cheaper to make your own rather than buy the ready made plastic cases. I got the clear silcone caulk at the same time. And don't forget, if you shop at Home Depot or Lowe's, just prove you're a Veteran (DD214, military ID, retired ID, VA ID, etc.) and get a 10% discount - every day!!

That's pretty much an idea of what I had to do with my cases I want to build, Jim. Yours came out nicely.

As to the fancy ones....I could probably do those for a whole lot less, as well. Perhaps it's something to try at some point.

On my computer which is currently not being used, I had the maker of those things bookmarked. Does anyone know the manufacturer just so we can go and oogle?

Charlie Larkin

Howard - have at it. I don't copyright anything.

Charlie8575 - Carney Plastics has a large variety of display cases and they are very nice. Several other manufacturers have the small, one car cases. Hobby Lobby carries them as well as several mail order places. Since I had the oak, the cases I made were under $6.00 each.

Could someone explain what the floor to ceiling windows are done? There appears to be vertical edges and multiple panes. Is each display sealed from dust? I need to know, because I am certain that about half of the world's dust supply comes out of our house.