Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Car-Toon Truck

Yesterday, I heard about a car show that was in the local area. Not knowing what to expect I drove over to it. It was full of antique, muscle cars and vintage street cars.

I will have to post the pictures from it later when I have some more time but in the mean time I saw a Ford pickup truck that I thought you guys would enjoy.

Maybe some of you have seen it, maybe not, but it was the first time for me. I took 189 photos of it and I still think I missed a few areas of it. This truck has hand painted (airbrushed) cartoons, every major cartoon character is included, and artist renderings of major events in our history.

I urge you to take a few minutes and look through the photos…this thing is amazing. Normally, I tend to avoid these kinds of “gimmicks†at shows, but this truck was quite something to see.

Just click on the link below and click on the photo set for the cartoon truck.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpl3k/sets/72157623977384344/

:lol::o:o:o WOW! Thanks for sharing! I can't believe this covers everything from Popeye to SouthPark! I'll have to look again but I think the missed Felix the Cat and Thundercats :lol: This is truely amazing! And I think the point here is no matter what your age is old and young can unite to enjoy this truck at a show! Thanks for sharing this!

Somehow this falls into the same category for me as the "Lord's Prayer on the head of a pin" type stuff.

Impressive, yes. Did it take time. effort and skill? Undoubtedly.

But ultimately... what was the point?

The point was to get Harry Pristovnik to respond. Mission accomplished. :lol::lol:

:o:o:o:o WOW! Thanks for sharing! I can't believe this covers everything from Popeye to SouthPark! I'll have to look again but I think the missed Felix the Cat and Thundercats ;) This is truely amazing! And I think the point here is no matter what your age is old and young can unite to enjoy this truck at a show! Thanks for sharing this!

I dont remember seeing the jetsons or yogi either...lost in the muddle

Ah I hate fixing typos gotta a new keyboard B)

Edited by Kaleb

Somehow this falls into the same category for me as the "Lord's Prayer on the head of a pin" type stuff.

Impressive, yes. Did it take time. effort and skill? Undoubtedly.

But ultimately... what was the point?

? The same can be said for a model… No? :lol:

Gentlemen, I am rather disappointed about the follow-up posts to this thread. Don’t misunderstand; I was not expecting anything more than “hey, that is pretty neat†or something to that affect. But unfortunately the bulk of the comments were directed to single question of “why do itâ€. Please, why should we do anything in life beyond surviving the day to day rat race?

Some people in life enjoy creating, some people enjoy those creations and some will find fault in that creation. Some people, I am sure, think that I am a fool to waste my money and time building “lowly†model cars. “Isn’t that something you do as a kid?â€, they think. Yeah it is, but it is also something that I do to help me express my creativity. I also paint in oil and draw in pen and ink. I need to create and express myself in order to maintain my equilibrium. After a difficult day running my business, some would say “into the groundâ€, need to spend some time in my “happy place†which is either at my work bench or my easel.

The gentleman who created this unique truck is being pushed by a higher power to create a living testament to us. He is constantly adding to this and finding a way to make a statement. The creators of many of the cartoon characters have added sign artwork which is in the truck bed. They seem to understand what this is all about. This is a tribute to the American culture. As kids we grew up with TV, Movies and our “Pop Cultureâ€. As you look at this creation, you keep finding new characters and insights.

This man is a true patriot too. He has depicted the great……..“raising the flag at Iwo Jimaâ€, complete with actual sand from that beach at the Marines feet to the horrific, “The Twin Towers†on 9-11. You can purchase a signed photo card; I brought two, with all of the money going to the Wounded Warriors fund. The Presidents portraits are depicted and the Constitution, at least the beginning of it, is there too. This would not be complete without a depiction of the front of Mt. Rushmore. But one of my favorite depictions on this truck is the “back†of Mt. Rushmore…..see if you can find it, I did photograph it.

All I ask is that you view this in the manor that it is intended. It is a creation intended to pay homage to our past, our culture and our potential and have some fun while doing it.

You don’t need to question why, you just need to enjoy it.

Peter,

My comment(s) weren't meant to hurt anyone. The vehicle is just too far out there for me. I can appreciate your time in taking all the pics and I can really appreciate the time and efforts the creator put in. Being a Veteran, I can really appreciate the guy donating to the Wounded Warriors Foundation. They area special group of people who I have been associated with in the past and hope to do so in the future. All that being said, I don't have to like a vehicle (in this case I don't) to appreciate the work put into it.

Some people create art. Some people critique. We need more of the former, less of the latter.

Exactly... My post above was in no way meant as critique of the vehicle. I was :D over the comment I replied to. To ask “why?†is the same as someone not in “our†hobby asking why. Why? Because this is what we want to do. Just because it’s not to your taste is no reason to… well there are rules about language.. I personally don’t like …. let’s not go there.

I liked the heart and thought behind the vehicle and was shocked that a fellow modeler and artist would post such a reply.. I’m sorry if my non-clear comment offended. It was in no way a slight toward the vehicle.

That's pretty impressive, both the artwork, and the photography!

Even before I saw the sign saying have fun and find your favourite...I saw several Waldos and Nemos...just no "gold bug" (From Richard Scarrey). Many of my favourite characters depicted there. That would be a fun vehicle to spend some time around.

Thanks for photographing it, Peter. I sure appreciated it. Very cool truck!

Hmmmm.... since I'm not that impressed with this, a few members seem to take offense? :D

I wonder when my right to express my opinion was revoked?

Besides, I didn't say anything derogatory about it... in fact, just the opposite. I said it was impressive and surely took a lot of time and talent. It just doesn't appeal to me as "art" or whatever the intent was. It reminds me of those cars with advertising decals plastered all over them.

Just my opinion, guys. I think I'm perfectly within my rights to have one that doesn't necessarily agree with all the other ones.

Some people create art. Some people critique. We need more of the former, less of the latter.

I'm with Peter and I agree with this post. This is quite an accomplishment as an overall work, though I think the artistry could be at a higher level (just sayin'). I might add that I have LESS THAN ZERO interest in rods, customs, low-riders, etc., but I see some amazingly creative and inspiring work at MCM on those subjects. And anyone who sees Peter's work can understand why he is impressed – as am I – with this sort of originality.

Edited by sjordan2

Gentlemen, I am rather disappointed about the follow-up posts to this thread. Don't misunderstand; I was not expecting anything more than "hey, that is pretty neat" or something to that affect. But unfortunately the bulk of the comments were directed to single question of "why do it". Please, why should we do anything in life beyond surviving the day to day rat race?

The gentleman who created this unique truck is being pushed by a higher power to create a living testament to us. He is constantly adding to this and finding a way to make a statement. The creators of many of the cartoon characters have added sign artwork which is in the truck bed. They seem to understand what this is all about. This is a tribute to the American culture. As kids we grew up with TV, Movies and our "Pop Culture". As you look at this creation, you keep finding new characters and insights.

Peter, you read way too much into the posts that were made by me (I assume you're talking about my post).

Art is subjective. There is no "correct" opinion.

I'm not making a comparison to this guy's work, but for example... some people will hang a painting of dogs playing poker or Elvis on black velvet in their homes and find it attractive, and derive pleasure from looking at it.

Some people wouldn't be caught dead with either. One man's "art" is another man's "kitsch."

Don't be offended if not everyone's taste in art doesn't completely agree with your own. There's no more reason to assume that you and I would agree on what's "art" than we would agree on what music we like best, or which ethnic food we like the most or what our favorite color is. No reason to be "disappointed" in the follow-up posts.

I really love this truck! I wonder how many hours it to get it to look like this.

I when through most photos and did not see an owner's name. Peter, would you know who owns it? I would love to show it in my 1:1 truck magazine.

John

Although I'd rather see this art done on canvas, or a wall. Still its very cool. It covers a lot of our culture. I believe more than one artist did this though, probably a lot of contributions from a lot of people. I think Family Guy was left out though, I might have missed it, with 189 pics. It would take forever to see all of it.