Model Cars Magazine Forum

I would like to do a series of scratch building articles...

I'm interested in doing some articles for Model Cars on some of the scratch building techniques I do. one of the first I'd like to offer Gregg is on Scratch Building wheels. The question is what wheel to do as a subject. I'm wanting to do something that would appeal to the broadest cross section of model builders. Here are a couple of wheels I've domne in the past...

IMG_4361-vi.jpg

IMG_4194-vi.jpg

The techniques I use are available to the typical modeler, and can be shown in a step by step method. I want to get some suggestions from you guys on what type of wheel you most want to see made.

While neither wheel apeals to me, the idea of scratchbuilding artricles definatly does.

I'm not looking to do either of these again since I already had them cast, but I am hoping to get some Idea of what you might like to see done. I was thinking maybe some vintage inspired street rod wheel or some sort of wheel that has been ignored in scale.

How about a set of these? slixx makes the graphics for this car.

233_3304-vi.jpg

Any tutorial that clearly explains how to make a quality (especially a popular) part will be received well. Just do something you want, if others like it, great. (Build for yourself.) Wheels are a great choice to show everyone how to make from scratch.

BTW, Wasn’t it you that was doing the Barracuda-Viper custom? Did I miss it finished? That had a lot of work in it last time I saw it.

Why not just build the things you want to do instead of asking people to vote on it?

Make some wheels if you're in the mood. Make what you want. Document it. If MCM/Gregg want to run it as an article they will. If not, you have a set of wheels you wanted out of the deal. I guess I don't get the popular-vote modeling method, personally.

I'm not really looking for a popular vote here, just some inspiration. I don't particularly need a set of wheels right now, but want to do the tutorial considering a lot of people have emailed me asking how I do it. if I do a set I'd want them to be something some people might want to duplicate, that would have some relevance to them.

I agree with some of the fellas here...

No need for a poll, if the "how-to" is any good, folks will follow along. Put together a clinic and post/submit it up.

Who give's a rat's butt about percentage numbers and popular votes...If your topic is good learning material, it'll be worthwhile for those interested whether here or in a Mag.,

BTW, Wasn’t it you that was doing the Barracuda-Viper custom? Did I miss it finished? That had a lot of work in it last time I saw it.

If you are refering to this one...

edited-vi.jpg

that's not mine it's Dave Gaboury's work. I'm not sure if he finished that one or not but would love to see it if he did.

IMG_4147-vi.jpg

I'm still working on that one, but it isn't viper based.

I agree with some of the fellas here...

No need for a poll, if the "how-to" is any good, folks will follow along. Put together a clinic and post/submit it up.

Who give's a rat's butt about percentage numbers and popular votes...If your topic is good learning material, it'll be worthwhile for those interested whether here or in a Mag.,

Ok I guess I'll do a set of the foose challenger wheels above I have the kit, and the decals, Might as well do the wheels.

edited-vi.jpg

that's not mine it's Dave Gaboury's work. I'm not sure if he finished that one or not but would love to see it if he did.

IMG_4147-vi.jpg

I'm still working on that one, but it isn't viper based.

The one I was thinking of is the top one. Thanks for clarifying.

very curious to see how you do those wheels if you are planning on doing them in plastic :)

from my point of view the only way to do them and do them right would be to mill them from aluminum on a CNC machine. the right person doing that(Bob Dudek) would produce some absolutely killer wheels that are perfect representations of the 1:1 wheel albeit at more than likely incredibly high price.

there are some incredibly talented scratchbuilders though who work in plastic and i've seen your work before. i think you can do it.

Dave

That is prmarily why I want to do this series of articles. while billet,CNC machines and lathes are great scratch building tools there are simpler ways of doing things that aren't out of reach of a talented modeler. I'm lucky in that I took about two years off from modeling not due to lack of interest, just that I was 1000 miles away from my kits and tools. Thus my modeling time was spent not at the bench but in doing research, and brainstorming new techniques.

My time away was helpful in that it allowed me to step back from my project and think about modeling in a broader sense. I researched new (or new to me at least) tools and materials.

Yes a CNC machine would make doing that wheel easier. (to those properly aquanted with using one) but almost any shape is recreateable by hand also. I did not say though that I would be limiting this series to working in plastic, in the case of this wheel set, it will be mostly plastic.

I'm not looking to do either of these again since I already had them cast, but I am hoping to get some Idea of what you might like to see done. I was thinking maybe some vintage inspired street rod wheel or some sort of wheel that has been ignored in scale.

How about a set of these? slixx makes the graphics for this car.

233_3304-vi.jpg

That would be a great project.

I think that we can all benefit from your knowledge and you are to be commended for being so willing to share it. Thank you. I'd really like to see a very detailed and simply written tutorial on casting parts - both from scratch and reproducing hard to find pieces from available and obsolete kits. Perhaps it may be important to include in detail the methods used to scratch build as well as what materials are and may be used to cast parts. I am sure that there are many different techniques.. and maybe others can contribute their experience and knowledge. One thing I would like to know for example is say for instance, how to duplicate the side trim from a '57 Fairlane hardtop so that it could be used to build a phantom '57 Ranchero with Fairlane 500 side trim. Also, casting tail light lenses - how is it done and what materials would be used? Sources for these materials ( online ) would be good to know as well as many of do not live near a major center where there is an abundance of hobby and craft stores. Many of these questions are probably pretty triviall to the seasoned scratch builders but to many of us, it is all new knowledge. I'm in and appreciative of anything that you post. Gary :D:D

I would be very interested in learning the techniques required to make wheels. I have been trying to find 1/25 scale 17 inch Mustang 5 spoke wheels like those found on the 2008 Bullitt Mustangs. The ones included in the kit are not the same. Should be a simple job.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/bullitt5.jpg

Later-