Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 612 Scaglietti

Zoom Zoom

This one was somewhat a labor of love; inspired by some photos but dealing with a kit that is pretty terrible. I love how it came out, but getting to this point wasn't fun.

I customized the front end somewhat; opened up the corner vents and used mesh for the grilles. Wheels are 20" BBS Challenge made by Scale Production. They are painted Alclad steel.

Tried to finish this over the weekend but didn't quite get it done then, mostly because final assembly was awful. Nothing fits well; the body required a ton of cleanup/blocksanding before painting, parts like the chassis, side glass, hood hinges, headlight covers, taillights, door panels didn't fit well, requiring a lot of bending, cutting, and re-engineering by Dremel. It's really a terrible kit. I suggest building one of these only if you like the subject, otherwise save your sanity for something else :)

3-vi.jpg

1-vi.jpg

2-vi.jpg

5-vi.jpg

6-vi.jpg

4-vi.jpg

Looks great! Is that the RoG kit? I didn't realize it was THAT bad!

Thanks! Yes it's the Revell AG kit, from the first issue. Amazingly the two I have didn't have warped hoods like most people experienced. It really is a turd of a kit overall, compared to other kits of modern manufacture. I do realize Revell AG has been upping their game along the way, this is better than their 360 Modena, and their California looks much better. The Superamerica was a breeze in comparison to this.

Bob, regardless of all the issues, your build sure seems to make it all worth it. Very nice and clean (like usual). Another fabulous build sir! I've been afraid of spraying white for a long while because of the yellowing with Testors enamel. Is that Tamiya pure white?

Bob, regardless of all the issues, your build sure seems to make it all worth it. Very nice and clean (like usual). Another fabulous build sir! I've been afraid of spraying white for a long while because of the yellowing with Testors enamel. Is that Tamiya pure white?

Thanks! The paint is Tamiya pure white with no clearcoat. Never a problem so far with this paint yellowing, including any that have been cleared. My preferred method of painting Tamiya solid colors (and clearcoat layers) is to lay down a foundation of color from decanted paint sprayed through the airbrush, built up slowly. The final couple of wet coats I like to apply directly from a fresh can of paint.

Thanks! The paint is Tamiya pure white with no clearcoat. Never a problem so far with this paint yellowing, including any that have been cleared. My preferred method of painting Tamiya solid colors (and clearcoat layers) is to lay down a foundation of color from decanted paint sprayed through the airbrush, built up slowly. The final couple of wet coats I like to apply directly from a fresh can of paint.

Very cool Bob, like everything else you have us accustomed to seeing. I also use the method of using my airbrush first and finishing with the can, makes for a more complete and even coverage specially on a body with a lot of details like vents and stuff. :)

This is one of my favorite modern cars. I think it's just simply beautiful.

I'm surprised with this kit; I remember reading it wasn't too bad except the hood was a bit fiddly?

I may still buy one, though. Just as a point of information, are there any other 612 kits out there?

Charlie Larkin

This is one of my favorite modern cars. I think it's just simply beautiful.

I'm surprised with this kit; I remember reading it wasn't too bad except the hood was a bit fiddly?

I may still buy one, though. Just as a point of information, are there any other 612 kits out there?

Charlie Larkin

Thanks! I didn't like the styling of the 612 much when it debuted, but as the years went on they improved it and in the right colors w/the right wheels, it went from boring to attractive.

This is the only kit; Revell AG makes it, there is a Revell US boxed version, same kit inside, but the US version I looked through suffered from a lot more sink marks, and the original version has plenty already.

Hood fit has always been an issue due to how the hinges attach under the dash. Hoods tend to be warped on many of them. The hinges can be manipulated so the hood will close, takes a lot of test fitting.

Getting the interior/engine/chassis assembly up into the body right near the end is frustrating, as the chassis doesn't want to fit in the back, the side glass keeps the interior from settling properly, the package shelf hits the rear window channel. Lots of frustrating fitting work on a lot of parts that are already painted and should fit a lot better. Keep your sanity and don't give up and it's a nice model, but its certainly not up to more modern standards. The upside is it has a ton of detail that is missing from modern kits from Fujimi and Tamiya. Too bad it doesn't go together like a Fujimi or Tamiya kit.