Model Cars Magazine Forum

Black Diamond '36

Lyle Willits

I remember now why I don't paint models black. Within about 5 minutes of displaying it, it looks like it's been in a snow storm of dust. Anyway, after much dusting and brushing, here it is.

IMG_1093-vi.jpg

AMT '36 roadster with a few Revell/Monogram '36 Ford kit parts thrown in.

IMG_1095-vi.jpg

Windshield and up-top is chopped. Up-top is reshaped.

IMG_1100-vi.jpg

Revell '36 seat and scratchbuilt door panels.

IMG_1110-vi.jpg

Caddy engine from AMT '49 Ford ( uh,,,,I think) with modified intake. Air cleaners from 2 Revell Black Widow '57 Chevy kits. Polished Caddy script valve covers from Mr. Robert Dudek.

IMG_1107-vi.jpg

IMG_1114-vi.jpg

I must have finally used up my brain cells - I couldn't come up with a clever tag.

Hi Lyle,

Very sharp build, black sure is tough to do, but when it is done as clean as this car...a thing of beauty!!

Curious to see your reply as to the paint, clearcoat, polish, etc. going to try to paint a black car again, my first one got stuck on the end of my shoe, thankfully the dog finally buried it in the backyard. Glad that didn't happen to your fine build.

Mike

Lyle,

That is one great looking model and makes me want to buy that kit! That black paint looks very rich and I can tell you that you are very brave to paint a car that color as it can be a PITA to get it right.

An old trick I learned years ago from a detailer at the Mercedes dealer I worked at was to wash a car after waxing it. It seems that waxing and polishing can lead to static electricity buildup on the surface and washing the car removes it. Sounds crazy but it does work and it can also help get any residue off that you may have missed. I think the dust you are attracting might be due to static buildup. (of course now that the car is assmebled it makes it harder but maybe next time!)

Keep em coming, I always enjoy your builds and creativity.

Hey Daniel,

Visited your link to your club, very nice, good tips, ideas and pictures, left a visitor comment, like to see what others are doing. Looks like a good bunch of folks who love the hobby just as much as we do. Don't forget "BLKOUT" for Lyle's license plate. Man, he did such a good job on that car, black & wheels look great, gotta love it!!

Mike

• 1 year later...