Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

SilverState SuperTruck WIP

Scale-Master

I started with a R/M Chevy (Die-Hard in this case) kit.

The headers needed a mounting flange; they looked anemic with no visible means of attachment to the engine. I also added some locating pins made of stretched sprue at the same time to make installing them to the heads easier. Holes were drilled into the outboard pipes to accept the sprue. The flanges are made of .015 sheet plastic. The one on top is assembled, parts for the other below.

DSC08800.jpg

No, this is not considered scratch-building…

Here the pair is with paint...

DSC08819.jpg

I sanded off the molded in grille vents from the bumper/air dam and made receptacles for a pair of HID lights with brass tubing. (A lens is in the drivers side hole in this photo, from a Tamiya Morgan kit.)

DSC08801.jpg

Still have to make the reflectors, maybe from scratch, but still not what I’d consider scratch-building…

The fan belt/pulley set is one piece, all it needs is some detail painting (and a little pin vise action...).

DSC08809.jpg

Yep, just out-of-the-box for this part…

More as it grows…

The engine is coming together. A little texturing on the cast parts, a simple painting technique I figured out many years ago, as I’m sure many others did on their own, but certainly did not invent.

I am keeping the oil sump system from the kit and doing some simple plumbing. The starter is also being wired. I machined the adaptor for the oil filter inlet from aluminum, but it’s not worth referring to as scratch-built…

DSC08808.jpg

DSC08820.jpg

DSC08839.jpg

DSC08840.jpg

Edited by Scale-Master

i love that kind of paint detailing, nicely applied finishes and different colors that work together.

keep us posted for sure :)

since this is a Silver State deal are you planning on adding an exhaust system with mufflers? any plans for wheels and tires besides the NASCAR stuff?

Dave

Thanks guys. I have been working on the wheels/suspension. It will get new wheels, and brakes. The kit exhaust will be modified or cannibalized, but I don't know for sure what will be the final outcome.

I've been building for as long as I can remember... but just now starting to learn a little "patience" in everything ~ and the little details go a long way for the final project. You have mastered this, obviously :) I'll be keeping an eye on this one, looks to be another fantastic job from a scale master. Thanks for sharing your projects!

Dave, no need to change the wheel/tire combo. I worked timing/scoring for several Silver State races, and thats all the ex-NASCAR races used was, well, NASCAR wheels and slicks.

btw, there's nothing like flying by cops on a closed road @ 150mph, and just having the cops wave.. :)

and I wasnt even racing, just on my way to my checkpoint...

The kit single 4BBL manifold was used as a base for an injection system. The big round plenum is just brass that was textured with that old non-invented texturing technique. It has a dual ignition set up. The distributors are machined from scrap sprue. It is also plumbed for NOX.

The manifold is not scratch-built, just modified.

DSC08838-1.jpg

The engine is still growing. The ignition wires are ready to be routed to the plugs. Then the air cleaners will be installed…

And maybe then the intake will make more sense…

DSC08853.jpg

The big round plenum is just brass that was textured with that old non-invented texturing technique.

"The old non-invented texuring technique" mark you crack me up I know exactly who you are speaking too (or of) I tear up in giggles everytime I see you make a statement such as this one. Please stop your ripping my sides in two , but do keep up the good work And i'd love to see more of your "non-inventive skills" Romell ;)

Mark,

Your "non-serious" builds are still spectacular! Have you ever done a tutorial on your paint wash techniques? I would love to see more on how you do it. ;)

Thanks Marc, I have done live seminars and included that subject at IPMS shows, TamiyaCons and GSL, and I know at least once I went over it in an online forum (with pictures)as I used it on a BRE 350Z. That might still be hosted on this forum.

But that technique was not used on the body. It was done with just several enjoyable hours of free hand airbrushing coupled with an occasional stencil used to "force" some edges.

My wife doesn't have a Cricut. She has an embroidering machine and I still have not found a use for it in my modeling. But Dave, you figured it out for the most part. I used a plotter to cut masks for the lettering and the birds. I did have to create the art first. Am I the first to do this? Do I get to claim I invented it? No Way!

I played around and this happened. Just me without adult supervision...

I'd offer a tutorial, but without the plotter/cutter I'm not sure it is all that pertinent. We all already know how to mask. Don't we...?

Thanks Marc, I have done live seminars and included that subject at IPMS shows, TamiyaCons and GSL, and I know at least once I went over it in an online forum (with pictures)as I used it on a BRE 350Z. That might still be hosted on this forum.

But that technique was not used on the body. It was done with just several enjoyable hours of free hand airbrushing coupled with an occasional stencil used to "force" some edges.

Mark,

I was referring to the detail painting on the engine, etc. I looked for the BRE 350Z and it may have disappeared with the board upgrade. If you still have the pics you might do a repost in Tips and Tuturials someday. :D:unsure:

The distributors and plugs are wired... Note the extended boots to protect the wires from the rearward header tubes... Yes, two distributors, but only 8 plugs.

DSC08864.jpg

Here are the air cleaners I made for the engine. The bases are machined from aluminum. The elements are real foam. Machined from scratch? OK. But the foam elements were sourced. Who would call them 100% scratch-built?

DSC08854.jpg

DSC08855.jpg

And here they are installed...

DSC08866.jpg

I would be glad to do a set of How-To's about texturing and washes. I'll see if I can dig up one of the older posts about washes. If not I'll have to write something fresh for both subjects.