Model Cars Magazine Forum

'63 Chrysler Turbine Car Update----Final Update!-6/23/07

MrObsessive

Here I go again! I'm diving into what may be one of the most difficult kits ever to come out of a mold to build!

A little history on the Turbine Car:

Back around 1961 into '62 Chrysler decided to expand on it's Turbine research and build a number of Turbine Cars for the general public to test and evaluate. The Turbine Cars' bodywork was designed by Elwood Engel who was once a Ford designer. Thus the resemblance to the then current 1961-63 Thunderbirds. Bodywork and interiors were done by Ghia of Italy.

203 (or thereabouts) persons were chosen by an accounting firm to be the "test drivers" for a period of about 90 days. The only maintenance being the car was to be kept clean at all times.

At the end of the test period, (January of 1966?) the cars were either to be returned back to Ghia, or Chrysler had to pay an enormous "duty" to keep the cars in the states, or they had to be junked! Chrysler did come up with the tax money to keep 10 of the 55 cars that were built...............the rest were turned into scrap metal!! :cry:

To check out more on this interesting car..........just go to the Turbine Car site.

Johan's '63 Turbine Car was one heck of a kit when it came out originally back in '64(?) but having built one myself years ago.............I soon learned why I didn't (or haven't) seen any on the contest tables or even at NNL's! :shock:

Here's the box art of Johan's Chrysler Turbine Car. I'm not sure when this kit was issued, but it is a reissue as the original had boxart that was drawn, (Gold Cup Series?) and was originally put out around 1964 or so.

P1281028-vi.jpg

P1281029-vi.jpg

P1281030-vi.jpg

My, my, my!! What lovely flash we have here! :shock: I have since taken an exacto blade and cut all that mess away!

P1281031-vi.jpg

P1281032-vi.jpg

Johan got the body lines pretty much right on the money with this one...........but there's obviously a LOT of work to be done! The rockers will needed puttied in and sanded.........I may tuck them in a little further as they seem a little "narrow" for the chassis.

P1281033-vi.jpg

P1281035-vi.jpg

I plan to use acetate for the windshield and rear backlight..........of course these will need cleaning up also.......:roll:

P1281036-vi.jpg

P1291037-vi.jpg

P1291038-vi.jpg

I'm going to give these hinge pins the boot and fashion my own pivot hinges. I remember building this kit over 20 years ago, and the hinges didn't survive the first year after it was built. I took a pencil and marked off about where the hinge pivot point will be.

Meanwhile the doors themselves need to be thinned down a bit..........they seem a little thick to me for "scale appearance".

P1291039-vi.jpg

Yup, just as I thought the chassis is a little narrow for the body, I'm gonna do some widening, and reshape those rockers somewhat to avoid the "empty" look when looking at the car from the bottom.

The body is very slightly warped..........but no more so than other models I've done with opening doors. This'll get fixed as I adjust the body and get the chassis the way it should be.

P1291040-vi.jpg

Color? I'm gonna use the same Sunset Orange paint as I did for the 'Vette! That is a very close (if not exact) match for Turbine Bronze (although Chrysler 1966-67 Turbine Bronze is NOT the same).

Besides, the can I got for the 'Vette cost almost 30 bucks so you best believe I'm gonna use every last pigment! :lol:

Thanks for lookin' and stay tuned.........it's gonna be an interesting build! :mrgreen:

i had this kit once; a reissue of unknown vintage.

what i couldnt get over was all the flash on the *small* parts...so much so that one (at least *this* one) couldnt tell where the flash ended and the part began.

so...im interested to see what you can do with this mess, uh, i mean kit.

If anyone here on this site is into building 1/16 scale, how about this idea ? Take the tailite section of the turbin car, separate the two ends, turn them to a verticle position and use them in any of the 1/16 Chevies, the Nomad. the '55 or the '57. I little fender modification is necessary but they make the wildest looking tailite design.

bob :shock:

Just make sure you get the wiper motor right on this one, 'kay, Geary? I dont' know if I can take all the drama that will ensue if you don't!

This build may just be the highlight of the year to watch in progress. And I can't wait 'til you bring it to a meeting once it's done and spool up that turbine! :D

I figured I might as well start on what may be the toughest aspect of this model..........hinging the doors! This update focuses on one side as obviously the other side will follow suit as well! :D This went along pretty smoothly...........I just wished I could have known these techniques back in 1985 when I built this model last! :D

I took the cutters and cut away the original hinge here................good thing I marked off where the hinge points were as I'd surely forget! :D

P1301041-vi.jpg

I then took my Dremel Moto tool and grinded away at the too thick door, to a thickness which is more in scale at the trailing edge of the door. I don't want to make this too thin as it can become a problem when painting and polishing.................the edges will be hard to keep paint on.

P1301042-vi.jpg

Hmmmm.................Johan molded the inner door panels as part of the door jamb. While this is expedient from a manufacturing standpoint, in 1:1 it's not realistic as your door jamb is part of the door skin, and the inner door panel is a separate piece as part of the interior.

I simply took both sides of the exacto blade and cut as best I could the inner door panel away.

P1311043-vi.jpg

Here's the separated door panel..............later I will build the door panel back up with sheet plastic to more closely match the contour of the door jamb.

P1311044-vi.jpg

To build up the hinge area I got some plastic rod which closely matches the circumference of the original hinge area. Yes, there's a method to my madness as you'll see! :D The rod was glued in with Ambroid Pro Weld and was left alone to sit overnight.

P1311045-vi.jpg

Once I let things sit overnight, I test fit the area over where the door would have "trapped" the original hinge over the body. To deepen the area, I ground out a bit more of the channel in the door with my dremel.

P1311046-vi.jpg

Hmmm...............fits pretty good.........I think though that I'll grind out just a scooch more so everything fits flush.

P1311047-vi.jpg

Since these doors pivot (as opposed to the swing out type), they will need something to pivot on................I took a #75 drill bit and used the pin vise to drill holes in the plastic rod area. Mind you, this is all eyeball engineering........I have no scientific precise measurements to tell me exactly where the holes should be. :wink:

P2011048-vi.jpg

I placed the door jamb inside the body, and then marked off on the body hinge support approximately where my "hinge pins" will rest. The hinge support is evergreen plastic square rod...............I can't remember the size-----I try to pick something that looks in scale.

P2011049-vi.jpg

P2011050-vi.jpg

Here's what I use for hinge pins.................simple brass rod (about .020 dia.) Just bend them at right angles to hold the door jamb in place.

P2011051-vi.jpg

So far so good................the door jamb swing open and closes without any binding.............almost........

P2011052-vi.jpg

I'm gonna have to cut away some material at the leading edge of the door jamb hinge area. When I try to open the door, the "excess tabs" push the leading edge of the door jamb outwards..........obviously, that won't work! :shock:

P2011053-vi.jpg

The trailing edge of the door jamb when fully shut................I may replace the tab that Johan molded in to keep the door shut with some type of catch. This may be a watch pin (ala my '69 Charger Daytona) or some other contraption I can fettle together! :D

P2011054-vi.jpg

Inside of the door jamb hinge support.................when everything is fully painted and detailed, these pins will be epoxied in the holes. When the epoxy has fully dried (overnight) then I'll simply cut them away flush too the hinge support. Then I can put in the rest of the interior with the kick panels, etc.

P2011055-vi.jpg

Here's the door "skin" up against the door jamb. There's a faint horizontal crease on the door that doesn't quite line up with the rest of the body. Using the method I did with the '05 'Vette..............I'll redo this crease to make it more in line.

P2011056-vi.jpg

The door is fitting pretty well, as I mentioned above, I want the leading edge of the door to fit just a scooch tighter against the hinge area/interior door jamb. Note that I still have to cut away the tabs that were sticking out and causing the binding.

P2011057-vi.jpg

Just a little bit of binding was still occurring, so I got the Dremel and ground some plastic away on the hinge support. I tried to "round them" so when the door opens there is some clearance to keep them from pushing away from the support.

P2011058-vi.jpg

AHHHHHHHHH!! Much better since I cut those tabs away! No pushing out, no binding............everything looks honky-doory! :D

P2011059-vi.jpg

One thing to keep in mind when hinging doors, is you want to make sure your hinge support is exactly vertical and not leaning either way. If the bottom of the hinge leans to the inside of the door, it'll make the door appear to be "hitting the curb". If the bottom edge is to far to the outside of the body, the opened doors will look like "butterflies", and look just as peculiar.

The door jamb here looks to be nice and level, although I have to account for the fact that the body is very slightly warped. As time goes on, I'll be checking the opening and closing of the doors for a fit appearance.

P2011060-vi.jpg

I'll try and finish up the drivers side door, and then move to the other side throughout the weekend into next week------then I'll try to clean up the other body flaws. :shock:

Stay tuned! :mrgreen:

Bill; i found the same itchy spot on the AMT 56, 57 ford and 58 impala doors; that the inside panel was molded as part of the door shell, and took a similar approach by cutting them off the "frame", cementing the frame in place to the door skin, and installing the inner panels later on. this greatly simplified creating customized interiors for me, and eased doing the fine detail work on that great '50's trim. if i were a little more ambitious i'd create some working window lifts... but i'll leave that to YOU!

Bill , I have one of these also , but I would rather move a 4th floor condo in the snow than build it....I'll sit back and watch as you mold and sculpture it into a showpiece . I opened up mine and the body didnt have as much flashing as yours , but it did have a tweak in the roof and loads of flash on the front seats and most of the engine parts....I'm really gonna enjoy your updates........

wow bill that is impressive. ive never been able to even visualize how to do realistically opening doors but youre making it look easy. just like a high diver makes it look easy though...

maybe i will have to try this on one of my upcoming builds...

Veeeery Interesting :wink: Kinda like peering over Michelangelo's shoulder on tha sly, like being a fly :shock: on tha ceiling. :lol:

Not changing tha subject Bill, but is your '55 Ford a Sedan?

Zeb

Is your '55 Ford a Sedan?

No, mine is a 2 door hardtop Victoria............It's on hiatus now due to the rear trunk trim and the grille. I got a beat up Franklin Mint diecast that might work for the rear trim, (it's 1/24th though) and I also have a Boyd's Orange Crisp '55 Ford wagon diecast for the grille.

I have another build planned after I finish the Turbine Car (Revell's Dodge Magnum wagon) then I'll get back to the Ford.

Shucks, I waz hoping it waz a sedan, because tha window reveals are a dble complex curve. I'm building a custom 56, chopped top 2 dr sedan out of tha same model. But I'm also desireous of a stock 2 dr sedan. :D

Oh well....

Maybe I'll get mah '56 done as yu get yur '55 done. :D

Zeb

What are you using for puttie as a filler??

Hi Scott,

I use Dynatron Putty-Cote as a filler. It's a Bondo Product and can be found at some auto body supply shops, and it's a two part mixture.

What's nice about it is that it has some plastic in it so if you need to attach some styrene trim.............it will bond with the putty using liquid cement (Ambroid Pro-Weld is what I use).

Thanks for asking!