Model Cars Magazine Forum

'63 Chrysler Turbine Car Update----Final Update!-6/23/07

MrObsessive

Just a quick note here for newbies on the great benefits of polishing cloths and some elbow grease. Here one can see the drivers side of the hood which has been rubbed out with 3600 thru the 12000 grit polishing cloths. Since I'm loath to wet sand clear coats for fear of rubbing clean through.................the cloths were used dry and "dusted off" every so often.

I then followed this up with Meguiar's Car Cleaner Wax and a chamois cloth.

The clear I used is my usual Tamiya X-22 acrylic. Forgive the rather dark lighting-----this is on my work table..............it's not my usual "studio lighting" I use for other pics.

P4281368-vi.jpg

P4281369-vi.jpg

Now you can see the vast difference with the unrubbed out passenger side. Is this a lot of work? Yes! Is the effort worth it in the long run? Double YES!! :lol:

I have the rest of the body now clearcoated so if I get time among other things, I may do a mock up of all the body pieces on the car and take a few pics------after everything is rubbed out.

Stay tuned!

Bill,

Best wishes to your mother. I am sure you are a great comfort to her.

The Turbine keeps looking better each time I look. It is a very cool project.

Today I reworked the form for the Firebird III bubbletops. They snap into the opening and stay in place without glue now. I was quite pleased with that. It will be fun to see the turbine cars together sometime.

Take care,

Andy

Guest roadkill2525

Found some pictures of the Turbine with a bonus photo.

Turbine2.jpg

Turbine3.jpg

TurbineEngine.jpg

Turbineschematic.jpg

DartFuryturbines.jpg

Turbine research cars using the Dart and Fury body.

Enjoy.

Hope your Mom is getting well.

This log you have going is quite interesting- I've already snagged a few ideas I can use for other projects. As for the flocking, it can be mixed to make different colors. Just determine what colors will get you in the ballpark and sift them through a small strainer

As for the flocking, it can be mixed to make different colors. Just determine what colors will get you in the ballpark and sift them through a small strainer

Yeah, I tried that a while ago on another project..............but it just didn't seem to "look right". I could still see the other colors that were mixed in as it had kind of "Polka Dot" appearance to it.

Thanks for the suggestion though...........:wink:

When I can get back to a building groove.......(just got back from GSL early this morning), I'll try to post some update pics later this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Bill, I hope everything is going well for you and your mom. I just wanted to check in and say thanks for showing your work on this kit. Incredible detail! I love how you got the seats to flip forward in a realistic maner. I for one will be waiting to hear how everything is going. :lol:

Just to give you guys the latest..............right now I'm working on the BMF (a LOT of work!) and the headliner for the interior.

I'm gonna try to post pics if I can, but the software for my camera doesn't seem to be cooperating with my OS for some reason. :shock: I put in a new spyware program the other day-----that may be the source of the problem.

Looks like I'll have to reinstall the software to see if I can get it to work. :(

Thanks for asking about my Mom................she's doing a LOT better than before----but there's some other issues she has to deal with----something I can't go into here.

Hopefully if I can get the digicam software straightened out I can post pics later in the week when I have a free moment. I have some pics of the painted door panels, and I'll have pics of the headliner, windshield, and rear window in place.

Stay tuned! :mrgreen:

Bill - I just had a look at your Fotki album to see how it is coming along and WOW! The paint is perfect and the changes you have done are so well engineered that it is hard to tell what you did. I look forward to seeing the car at Toledo.

Thanks! The jury's still out if I can get to Toledo this year, I have to see how the vacation time plays out (and what the wallet says). I'd really like to get there as I haven't gone in years.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey!!

It's been awhile since I gave you folks an update! Things have been busy at work lately...........(never seems to fail when the weather gets nice!) and then there was the issue with my Mom a while ago. The Turbine car is all but done..........just some final assembly issues as the following posts will show.

It was time to paint the rear end and exhausts.................this was done with Alclad metallizers-------the exhaust ducts being done in Magnesium and the gas tank in standard Aluminum.

The rear end I sprayed with Scale Motorsport Faux Fabric to give it some texture, and that crinkled look. I then painted it semi gloss black. When the assembly is put in the chassis I'll then add the driveshaft which'll painted gunmetal.

I'm not gonna bother with heat burned areas at all since whenever I try that, it never looks right to me so I'll just leave that alone :wink:

P6101632-vi.jpg

Here are the inner door panels painted and glued in the doors....................this was a pain as the doors had to be reshaped after being molded as one piece with the door jambs This looks more realistic as 1:1 cars door jambs are painted the same color as the exterior of the car.

P5141612-vi.jpg

P5141613-vi.jpg

More to come...........:mrgreen:

Now comes the messy part! Epoxying in the acetate front and rear "glass"------- As you can see trying to get this in leaves quite a mess! Nothing that alcohol and wax can't clean up though.

P5281616-vi.jpg

Ahhhhhh...............this looks much better! I did let the windshield sit overnight to let the epoxy really harden up before I did any polishing up though.

P5281617-vi.jpg

Take note of the "free standing" mirror............just like the 1:1.

P5311618-vi.jpg

The back window was not as troublesome, as it was more flat. I need to add some "weatherstripping" as I did the front glass.

P6011619-vi.jpg

Still more to come! :D

I figured it's time to get the door "latches" set in place------I set the doors in place along with the hinge pins and then put the watch pins in place. A lot of test fitting was done here so that the pins were not too far forward, nor too far back to get the right catch.

Once I was satisfied with the position of the pins I put on a ton of epoxy as you see here to keep the pin from moving back. It makes a nice little "clack" sound when the door is shut.............I wish you could hear it!

P6091625-vi.jpg

Here's the body with all the BMF on and front fenders permanently on. To say this was an easy BMF job would be lying as there were NO good defining edges to put on the BMF. A lot of the BMF was laid on as straight as possible and then trimmed by a steady hand.

And yes, there were more than a few tries in some spots to try to get it right!

P6101626-vi.jpg

P6101627-vi.jpg

P6101628-vi.jpg

P6101631-vi.jpg

Well, now it's on to the little things..........getting the interior and vent windows in permanently, putting the engine/front suspension in and then the rear subframe/rear end and exhaust. Depending on how tired I am from work and the attendant OT, I hope to have this done in a couple weeks and then start on the next project.

On a more technical note........I'll be getting a new computer with the new Vista OS in a couple weeks, supercharged with a 2 GB memory and a 250 GB hardrive!!----- I just ordered it the other day! I can hardly wait as I'm still in the dark ages running Windows 98 so now I'll be fully entrenched in the 21st century!

I'll have to put on my computer geek hat as there'll be programs and files I'll have to transfers and install, then figure out what to do with the old one! :? :shock:

Thanks for lookin'! :D

I wouldn't get too jacked up about Vista.

After using Macs exclusively all my life, I finally bought a PC a few months ago, so now I have both a Mac AND a PC, which came loaded w/Vista. There are a bunch of compatibility issues w/Vista and some very common software, like Adobe Acrobat (Vista does NOT like Acrobat!) It constantly asks you "permission" to do common tasks, and there are all sorts of other quirks. Sheesh...Macs are SO much easier!

Yep, I'm ahead of the game with the troubles with Vista as I've been keeping up with the quirks since it debuted..........also Andy Rathbone has a DVD out now called "Vista for Dummies".

My Dell will have Adobe Acrobat 7.0 installed from them.............I'll figure a way around the stumbling block with the "granting permission" annoyance.

I'll definitely order the DVD since what I'm using now is like going from a Pinto to a Ferrari! :D