Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gregg's Builds

Gregg

Is this lilac?

post-3-12782345203585_thumb.jpg

Is there a spray that is close?

Me an mixing colors don't get along

Yes, Charlie, picking out colors/schemes is THE hardest part of the build

That's why I like to find or see a real car, and replicate it.

It's so much easier for those two remaining brain cells of mine....

For the rims, I think I have enough to last twenty life times, just don't which way to go yet.

Gregg, that is what I'd call lilac.

I believe Krylon has something in that general color range; I don't recall if any of the model paints do or not.

If you still want a slight metallic finish to it, or something along those lines, perhaps you could try over-coating it with Model Master or Tamiya pearlescent clear? Even if mixing paint isn't your forte, a very simple mix would be to decant some of the Krylon spray into a jar and just add a little silver to it; don't worry about ratios, mix until you're happy with what you get. I found a glass eyedropper is indispensible for mixing. It resists all paints and the rubber bulb comes off, so it's easy to clean by just dropping it in some lacquer thinner for a few minutes, followed by running a pipe cleaner through it and a bath in soapy water.

Charlie Larkin

I know you didn't ask for votes but I reckon a white top. However, I'm a believer in using one type of paint all over. I would use a white metallic on the roof. A plain white just wouldn't look right somehow I think.

If you are possibly looking for a lilac color with a possible flake to it how about Testors Model Master Eveing Orchid from there lacquer line of spary paints? Then do a silver roof. This was a factory color on 1965 Chevrolets. I sprayed my 65 Impala with it but I feel it has to much flake to it for me. Love the color though.

65Impala.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, now there's this one.

It's a Modelhaus Custom '49 Merc with the Buick grille.

The paint so far is flip-flop R/C paint, and I want to add a color to the car, either above the belt line, or only in the Buick side trim area.

Thoughts on this?

Mahalo nui loa

post-3-12794221603043_thumb.jpg

The paint so far is flip-flop R/C paint, and I want to add a color to the car, either above the belt line, or only in the Buick side trim area.

Thoughts on this?

Mahalo nui loa

Gregg,

Is that Pactra R/C Aqua Wave? I've been testing that same paint and will be using it soon. :unsure: Love the color!

Thoughts on this?

Mahalo nui loa

Gregg, I'm not seeing much flip in the paint, but I also know firsthand flip-flop colors don't photograph well. What colors does the paint change to? Also, would you like a darker color, especially if you do the above the beltline idea? If you would like a darker color, here is one I found at my local Lowe's store, and it would even stay with the flip-flop theme.

HPIM2155.jpg

HPIM2151.jpg

Now you know how I know firsthand flip-flops don't photograph well! :unsure: The blue and purple seem to be the predominant colors in pics, but depending on the light, I have also had it change to teal, magenta, and even a little red and gold thrown in. The paint is Rustoleum Colorshift Galaxy Blue, and is sprayed on a gloss black basecoat.

Gregg, I'm not seeing much flip in the paint, but I also know firsthand flip-flop colors don't photograph well. What colors does the paint change to? Also, would you like a darker color, especially if you do the above the beltline idea? If you would like a darker color, here is one I found at my local Lowe's store, and it would even stay with the flip-flop theme.

Now you know how I know firsthand flip-flops don't photograph well! :unsure: The blue and purple seem to be the predominant colors in pics, but depending on the light, I have also had it change to teal, magenta, and even a little red and gold thrown in. The paint is Rustoleum Colorshift Galaxy Blue, and is sprayed on a gloss black basecoat.

This color doesn't "flip" as much as what you have on the eighteen wheeler, but it is a predominantly an aqua blue with a hint of green. It is applied over a black base.

This color doesn't "flip" as much as what you have on the eighteen wheeler, but it is a predominantly an aqua blue with a hint of green. It is applied over a black base.

Thanks for the info, Marc. I'm wondering, since you both know the color better, do you think it would go well with the paint I have on my truck? I know this is Gregg's thread, but I need a color for my truck's frame! :)

By the way, since this is Gregg's thread, I'm just asking about the color to Marc and Gregg! After all, it is the Big Kahuna's thread, so it's all about him! :unsure: If any one else would have a suggestion, please do it in my thread of the build, not here! Here is a link to mine so as not to hijack Gregg's thread.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28849&st=0

Please remember, it's all about Gregg's builds here! :huh::D

At the club meeting on Sunday, I repainted the '49 Merc-Buick.

Used the Testors Fire Red, or something like that, straight over the R/C paint.

post-3-1279607352054_thumb.jpg

Will work on it when I can sit up more at bench and spend time on it.

Pete, one of our club members, suggested putting black in the Buick side trim area, which I will probably try out.

Maybe a metallic black? or just gloss black?

Thanks, Matthew.

I know I should take your advice.

It's either your way, or the highway, right????

Sorry, couldn't resist!!!!!

I crack myself up sometimes.

TO MANY PILLs, I know....

:lol::lol::lol: I fell out of my chair laughing!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Hi, Gregg.

Picking colors does cause quite a quandry sometimes, doesn't it? I sometimes find that to be the most difficult part of the build.

I like the idea of a lilac metallic roof with a dark purple lower body.

I don't know what you had in mind for paint, but in the Testors line, I think you could achieve it by mixing a red, blue, white and a small amount of gray, as lilacs (at least around here,) all have a silvery-gray tinge to them. A good starting ratio might be something like 3:3:5:a few drops.

If you're aiming for metal-flake color, you might want to use the Metal Flake red and/or blue as a start, or mix in a small amount of silver, possibly in place of the gray. The key is to get the lilac color to a light purple.

Alternately, if you still have any of the purple from the first go-around, separate some out and mix in white (and, again, possibly a small amount of gray,) until the desired color is mixed.

Good luck.

Charlie Larkin

For a nice light pinkish lavender color, go to Testors '65 Chevy "Evening Orchid" tha shoul work.

ouh