Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bits $ Pings

The first time I saw a Ken Hamilton built model car it was 1987. Ken had mailed in his '25 T and the contest floor talked about it all weekend! He not only sent in a tour-de-force car but it came with pages and pages of "how he did it" diagrams and instructions on how to manipulate the working features!

At any rate, Ken got a nice award mailed home with his model!

During the next few years Ken received the enviable job of illustrating for the only model car magazine at the time, SAE, in which he wrote some of the neatest How-To articles ever published! Every one of them diagramed and illustrated in his distinctive cartoon style explaining so much with just a few lines and hand written words.

Well, as Paul Harvey used to say... and now the "rest of the story"!

Before SAE.... Ken started out illustrating his ideas for the UMCA newsletter. Yes! The following are the "LOST articles of Ken Hamilton!"

I have 5 or 6 of them here published in the Utah Model Car Asso. monthly newsletter and will post them here until I receive a cease and desist order from Ken's lawyers... or Mark Gustavson or Gregg... or my mom...

This first one is number 1 and has a date of July 1986!

(enjoy) :)

BitsPings1-vi.jpg

:)

• Like 1

Chapter 2 coming up!

I never met Ken until Gregg started dragging me to GSL and some of the East Coast shows after 2000. Being a homebody I am uncomfortable traveling and "hob-knobbing" like G is. (Even though he is only marginally better at remembering names than I, we worked out a system where I play stupid and ask the persons name first thereby saving Gregg the embarrassment. It seemed to work for us... and G. pays for my lunch.)

Ken and I met at GSL in '04 or '05. That was the year Ken showed up with his Redneck Trailer dio. Anyway, we shared a couple of beers in the Hotel bar for a few hours and I learned that he is not the stuck-up grandstander I always believe him to be... and a pretty funny guy to boot! Not to mention a fantastic, heavily under-rated modeler.

We shared art stories, modeling techniques and then a slight headache in the morning. Ken is very personable, approachable and if you see him at one of your shows walk up and say HI!

Sooo... with out further ado about nothing. This one dated Dec '86.

BitsPings2-vi.jpg

:D

Chapter 4 coming up.

This one published in the UMCA newsletter and while I was reading the "news" I came across this note from president Mark:

Once again, Mr. Ken Hamilton has provided us with another 'doodle', which, this month, addresses the creation of a rear package tray brake lights!!! Thanks, Ken, for your interest and time. Remember, guys the 'doodle' and this newsletter is copyrighted, 1986, by the Utah Model Car Association, and may not be reproduced, through any means, without prior written permission. Thanks, Ken, for your dedication and support!

oops... maybe I had better ask for some forgiveness since prior permission was not requested? ;)

BitsPings4-vi.jpg

Edited by Jairus

Once a lawyer, always a lawyer. ;)

I'm still surprised he hasn't tried to Copyright the address numbers on his house! :D:DB)ph34r.gif

(Excuse me, I have to go to the front door and wait for the guy who's gonna serve the restraining order on me.)

Last post unfortunately unless someone has the next one. This is Chapter 5 but it is not labeled thusly. was actually a response to a seminar that Mark gave to other club members at the monthly meeting. Ken you see lived in NJ and the club was based in UT. Ken and I were members then but we lived way too far away to take part in the fun and festivities (not to mention donuts).

Ken's response to Marks seminar on model car "switches" was this:

BitsPings5-vi.jpg

Incidentally, I built a model using these very switches shown in this article! It was a 1949 Ford Sedan Delivery (Phantom) and had real working head, tail, dome and dash lights. The doors opening switched on the overhead dome light and there were latches on all three doors and the hood. There were also hinges on the spare tire well panel and the gas cap door while the hood was spring loaded to keep it in the open position. The car is currently in the Utah Model Car Museum.

:unsure:

Edited by Jairus

These are great! Thanks for posting them. Do you have the drawing that shows the "Layton hinge" mentioned in the last drawing? I've been collecting hinge ideas on the road to designing my own one day.

PS: I would like to take this opportunity to Thank YOU for all that you have done for the hobby and me personally. As an artist myself I have drawn inspiration from your work for some years now.

Edited by Tradeshowjoe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...
On 7/31/2010 at 10:29 AM, Jairus said:

Chapter 4 coming up.

This one published in the UMCA newsletter and while I was reading the "news" I came across this note from president Mark:

oops... maybe I had better ask for some forgiveness since prior permission was not requested? ;)

http://images12.fotki.com/v532/photos/4/1100664/8680439/BitsPings4-vi.jpg

Love all these drawings by Ken. Would love to swe more of them.