Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 AMC Gremlin

This is such a cool build, who would have thought a Gremlin could look so nice? I was always under the impression that Americans hated the Gremlin and only used them for making fun of !! Very much outside of the square this project, great work! Thanks for sharing

Man, that casting sure does look good! So crisp and clean!!!! I'd love to do one of those stock with a six cylinder! You are sure doing a nice job on this one and like some of the other posters, I am not a fan of the wheels that you are using but I have to admit that they sure do look good on this car! Your choice of colours is right on and this is sure going to be an outstanding build! I like the unusual and orphan cars - stray puppies as my wife calls them - and I have always liked the Gremlin - ugly duckling that they are. Some things are so out there and homely that they are actually cute and the Gremlin is in that category in my books - but ya gotta love 'em, cause they are so - well - they just have character and ya gotta love character!! Sure looks good here - keep up the good work! :angry::lol::(

• 1 month later...

Wow, it's been over a month since my last update. I spent a few weeks prepping three racks worth of parts that were sent to Little Motor Kar for plating so bench projects took a back seat for awhile. The chassis is basically complete at this time. Here are some under hood shots of the engine compartment.

DSCN0451-vi.jpg

DSCN0453-vi.jpg

The engine is a combination of the AMT Gremlin and AMT Matador NASCAR kit parts with a Bandit Resin carb, Reps & Mins distributor and parts box valve covers and air cleaner.

Painted the interior with Tamiya TS-67 IJN Grey. Dash was highlighted with Tamiya TS-6 Matt Black and the gauges are a decal from the Revell 1969 Nova kit. Seats are from Scale Dreams and the roll bar was modified from the Gremlin kit parts.

DSCN0466-vi.jpg

DSCN0467-vi.jpg

DSCN0468-vi.jpg

DSCN0469-vi.jpg

I'll be flocking the floor with Detail Master dark grey flocking. You can't see them but I removed the molded-in automatic brake pedal and accelerator and replaced with parts from the Matador NASCAR kit.

Enjoy!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some pics of the finished interior for your enjoyment.

DSCN0474-vi.jpg

DSCN0475-vi.jpg

DSCN0476-vi.jpg

DSCN0477-vi.jpg

The interior is painted with Tamiya TS-67 IJN Grey and flocked with Detail Master grey flocking. Rollbar painted with Tamiya TS-29 Semigloss black. The rollbar is a modified part from the AMT 1975 Gremlin kit. Seats are resin Recaros from Scale Dreams. Steering wheel is a resin copy of the one found in the AMT 1957 Ford Fairlane. Shift boot from a Jo-Han Javelin AMX race car with a straight pin shifter. Gauges are from the Revell 1969 Nova SS.

Finished pics will be posted soon!!!

• 1 year later...