Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped '32 Ford Sedan w/ Blown Buick Nailhead

Dennis Lacy

I learned a valuable lesson with this car. I will NEVER, EVER stress myself out and rush a car project for the sake of taking it to a show or contest NEVER, EVER again. It’s NOT worth it! :)

Anyhow, this is Revell’s ‘32 Sedan and it’s been chopped 3/16†with the rear window only chopped 1/8â€. This was accomplished by cutting out the rear window area, chopping it separate then re-installing it in the body. I also accomplished all this without having to stretch the roof, leaving the soft top insert undisturbed. Used the Moon tank up front from the Revell ‘32 5-Window. The stock ‘32 taillights and stands were used although instead of being mounted at the very end of the frame I moved them up next to the body. The front and rear axle were lowered further and a pair of “hairpin†radius rods were build from several pieces to replace the modern 4-link. Out back, I ditched the modern coil-over shocks and installed a transverse leaf spring modified from a Lindberg ‘34 Pickup rear axle. Tube shocks were added and the kit trailing arms had full-length gussets installed to beef them up. The Sedan’s American Mags were de-chromed and treated to Testors Metallizer “Magnesium†paint with the center caps done in Aluminum. The front tires are some eBay specials and AMT Goodyear slicks out back. The engine is the Buick Nailhead from the AMT ‘40 Coupe. A lot of the excess molded on garbage on the block was removed and the headers were tuned up by removing the chrome, cleaning up the tubes and adding flanges to make them better to look at. The optional supercharged was used and the enclosed blower drive and regular street pulleys were combined along with a parts bin alternator to make the motor more street friendly. The nuclear reactor looking fuel injectors were removed and replaced by a pair of Rochester 4-barrels. The molded on 3-speed trans was cut off and a B&M Hydro Stick trans from a Revell Parts Pack 331 Cadillac engine kit put in it’s place along with a custom length driveshaft. The exhausts were made from several sections of parts bin pipes. The interior, with the exception of the steering wheel, is box-stock. Key colors: Tamiya “Italian Red†over dark grey primer which made the red many shades darker, Tamiya “Semi-Gloss Black†and various shades of Testors “Metallizer†paints.

One of these days I still need to make an upper radiator hose and some kind of scoop for the carburetors but for now we need some time apart.

IMG_5295.jpg

IMG_5297.jpg

IMG_5299.jpg

IMG_5298.jpg

IMG_5302.jpg

IMG_5304.jpg

IMG_5306.jpg

IMG_5307.jpg

:lol:

Thank you for all the comments, guys, they're always appreciated after lots of hard work on a project.

MikeMC: I agree that red cars are everywhere and I don't get too excited about it either, but I wanted a brighter color that wouldn't hide all the work I did on the chop and I didn't have a red hot rod yet. I originally planned to age it a bit with some sanding through to the primer and dull top coat but the red layed down so smooth with no trace of the chop lines I couldn't bring myself to mess it up. So 3 coats of gloss clear went on instead! :)

... I originally planned to age it a bit with some sanding through to the primer and dull top coat but the red layed down so smooth with no trace of the chop lines I couldn't bring myself to mess it up. So 3 coats of gloss clear went on instead!...

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...wink.gif