Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom Car Models by (the) George Barris

Recently my Dad and I went on a mission and braved the sweltering attic temperatures to get our hands on all his old car mags from the 50’s right on up. Anyway, one of the many cool printed treasures we found was this! It’s in relative great shape and completely intact. I’ll be happy to post more if your interested.

CustomCarModelsSpotliteBooks1961.jpg

OMG! I'd almost forgotten the days of the rubber-band hood hinge! :o

Post 'em!!! B)I can't wait to see if Barris took credit for inventing model cars, too! :D

ph34r.gif

I hear you there, LOL I'm waiting to see if he try's to take credit for one car in certain :o too which he didn't have part of. ;)

Edited by m0parman

Guest Markus355

SAM barris was great. George is a hack and a con artist.

so many other ...BETTER kustomizers out there. gene winfield, bill hines, alexander bro.s

George Barris was in on the game when the 3-in-one kits started at AMT and by '61 he was a power, but he didn't build himself and he didn't care about anything but the bucks and the 'box credit'.

In one of the early publicity pics for the AMT lacquers he's shown in the back of his office, in the sun, holding a '61 Ford body (hoodless) up in front of his body in readiness for painting. In the other hand is a can of AMT lacquer, label to the front so all the kids could see it, ready for use.

Thing is, he's wearing a really nice watch and ring and a white shirt and a tie, no covering for anything including his hand... I always wondered how many kids got 'pounded' or 'grounded' or for that matter, painted, when they did the same thing...

Guest Johnny

I never knew about the days of the rubber-band hood hinge... blink.gif

Oh, you Kid! rolleyes.gif

And, I AM NOT that much older than you! unsure.gif

It was closely followed by the metal spring clip that I first experienced onan AMT 49 Ford kit!wink.gif

is that "disco george" barris in the middle of this photo?

edit: actually now i realize thats gotta be tom daniels???

barris-vi.jpg

i always dig through the stacks of hot rod, rod and custom, etc magazines at swap meets and garage sales looking for model car specific magazines, slot car mags as well. its amazing how often you find absolutely nothing but then every once in a while you find something like you got out of your attic there! i got that same mag out of some other guys attic when he cleaned it out!

post up some images from it, theres some amazing pics and articles in there.

and i agree with G Barris as being the front man...loved the spotlight but didnt do the "real" work.

they (he and Sam) were from sacramento, you know...

Edited by jbwelda