Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Shelby Mustang GULF T/A Race (phantom)

Reeves Racing

looks really good, the exaust caught my eye, ide love to know how you made it look 'heated'

Thanks, the best way is with an airbrush. I start by spraying the whole header or pipe "steel" from Alclad II, (It wouldn't have to be the AlClad brand. Just a dark dark gray metalic) Next I spray the areas where the pipes of the headers (primaries) make sharp bends with AlClad "burnt metal" (this is a silver-gold color that is very light almost washed out. Next I put a couple of drops of regular orange paint into the burnt metal color and lightly spray the tightest part of any bend in the exhaust. Lastly I put a few drops of blue paint (just enough to bring it back to a bluish color) and radomly spray a few spots. If it looks a little too much like a rainbow I hit the whole part again with the steel color only I pull way back so as to just mist over the part and dull and blend the colors back a little.

It's a process and there are many guys here better at it than me but the results speak for themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

Those Gulf colours fit to Mustang perfetly! Good paintjob and engine detailing looks very cool too. Great choice for tires and wheels. Chassis looks very good too, but have you any pitures from the interior...? I'd like to see it...