Model Cars Magazine Forum

Exterior door handles for '60's American made cars and trucks

Does any resin caster offer chromed exterior door handles for American made cars? I am talking the traditional handles such as on the '68 El Camino or the Chevy pickups of the '60's and 70's and not the flat pull out ones. The molded on door handles are pretty pathetic when it comes down to it - I really like the chrome ones that you attach to the body like on the Revell '59 Impala kits 'cause they sure do look better than the lumps that are molded onto the doors of most models. Any suggestions??? :angry::lol::(

Edited by impcon

There is a company out there making really nice, chrome plated metal exterior door handles but I forget the name? I had it saved in an email with intent of ordering some but it must have been deleted by accident. I emailed my buddy who sent me the info to see if he remembers the company. I'll post it here as soon as I find out.

The Revell Chevelle wagon has a nice set of exterior door handles, maybe you can resin cast them and make extras? I would also look at the resin casters like The Modelhaus, maybe Replicas & Minatures, or some of the photo etch guys.

They might be able to be scratch built using sprue or Evergreen stock.

I just got a catalog from Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland the other day. It does mention door handles but theres no picture of them so i'm not sure what they look like?

I'm still waiting to hear back from my buddy on those nice chrome plated metal handles.

PFS Hobbies used to carry resin non-chrome ones, but I haven't seen them in quite a while. I had always intended on getting some and lost my round toit and never did. I tried casting the 59 CHEVY ONES BUT DIDN'T HAVE ANY SUCCESS. There so small that it's very difficult. Maybe I'll try again if no one can come up with a supplier.

PFS Hobbies used to carry resin non-chrome ones, but I haven't seen them in quite a while. I had always intended on getting some and lost my round toit and never did. I tried casting the 59 CHEVY ONES BUT DIDN'T HAVE ANY SUCCESS. There so small that it's very difficult. Maybe I'll try again if no one can come up with a supplier.

I have some of the ones sold by PFS....don't waste your money on them!

Ok, here's the link to that company that has the really nice chrome plated metal handles.

http://redlinemodels.com/index.html

Now the bad news, I went to the website and I couldn't click on "door handles"? I called them to see if they are out of stock or what the situation is?

Les Osborne - owner of Redline - died at least a year ago. It's a shame; his door handles are great.

64COMETCALIENTEPAINTRESULTS006-vi.jpg

Hey Jon, his wife called me yesterday and we talked for a bit, very nice lady. She told me that her husband passed away (i'm pretty sure she said four years ago?)and that she doesn't have any more handles to sell. They were having them cast by a guy in England and when she went to have more made, the caster told her that her husband had taken the masters back here with them, the last time they were there. She thinks the caster lost the masters and said her husband never brought them back here to the US. She said she still has a tree of them but she wants to use them as "new masters". I told her I would let her know if I find someone that can spin cast them for her.

Hey Jon, his wife called me yesterday and we talked for a bit, very nice lady. She told me that her husband passed away (i'm pretty sure she said four years ago?)and that she doesn't have any more handles to sell. They were having them cast by a guy in England and when she went to have more made, the caster told her that her husband had taken the masters back here with them, the last time they were there. She thinks the caster lost the masters and said her husband never brought them back here to the US. She said she still has a tree of them but she wants to use them as "new masters". I told her I would let her know if I find someone that can spin cast them for her.

Have her contact Jimmy Flinstone or Don Holthaus for casting when she's ready to do that. Nice guys.

If it's metal spin-casting, I might have a resource for you. One of my friends supplies materials for the jewelery industry that's still around Attleborough and North Attleborough, Ma. Most of his clients are in terrible need of new product lines, even if it's just a small inflow of cash, one of them might be interested.

Ben- let me know if she wants to move forward. I'll start trying to line up some resources in the interim.

Charlie Larkin

Hey Charlie, i'm pretty sure she's looking for someone reasonable to cast the door handles. She may even have other items as well that she has run out of? Her number is listed on the website. I would give her a call and let her know.

I'll start making some phone calls tomorrow. This might help some poor slob in need of a little extra money as the Chinese have decimated the jewelery industry in the eastern Blackstone Valley. This could be a real boon for a company that needs it.

Charlie Larkin

Agreed!!!

If this happens, I'll be in for many sets, hate those molded on handles! <_<

I'll start making some phone calls tomorrow. This might help some poor slob in need of a little extra money as the Chinese have decimated the jewelery industry in the eastern Blackstone Valley. This could be a real boon for a company that needs it.

Charlie Larkin

What haven't the Chinese decimated? I'll buy North American made products any day over Chinese imported copies. Hopefully, someone will start to make door handles here because I am sure thatthere will be a market for them. I have carved the molded on door handles out in the past and it's an improvement but I prefer the glue on ones. Trouble is, buying a model ( like the Chevelle wagon or a '59 Impala ) for just the door handles REALLY drives the cost of building a kit up, to say the least. Even buying parts kits off Ebay for $5.00 adds up when you figure the shipping costs into the deal.. it can still cost in excess of $15.00 for an incomplete kit just for the door handles. I really wonder why none of the resin casters have clued into this product possibility? They are making just about everything else... I mean, hellllooooo???????????? *nudge, nudge, wink, wink* :(:):)

White metal is much better for casting small parts like these.

That's for sure! White metal polishes up beautifully with silver polish. And the surface is smooth, never ragged or grainy. No other non-chrome chrome comes close, not even BMF.

Sure be nice if those jewelery makers got into this.