Model Cars Magazine Forum

New to the forum this is what's on my bench

MZ 500

Hey all I'm new to the form and this is one of my projects. It is a rear engine Super modified that was built and drivin by Jim Shampine back in 1979. Thanks for looking there are a ton of grate projects on here I don't know why I didn't join up sooner.

Matt

100_5726.jpg

100_5739.jpg

100_5921.jpg

000_0439.jpg

Edited by MZ 500

WoW! Now THIS 'll be COOL ta watch come together! Is the Engine BEHIND the driver? I've never seen this type of racer! VERY interesting.:rolleyes::D

Yes the motor is behind the driver and offset way to the left as is the hole car, Super Modifies are the ultimate short track speed weapons!! this car was so dominate that it was banned after the 79 season at Oswego Speedway where Jim ran, soon after many tracks banned them as well Jim was so mad that he went sprint car racing for a bit. Here is a good right up on Jim Shampine that I found, in the second pic you see a shot of the rear engine car this was what the car looked like at the beginning of the season and later he changed the front sheet metal to make the nose narrow. The car in the background is Jim's Front engine offset modified witch is what today’s Super Modifieds are based on.

http://web.a-znet.com/~dave1w/shampine.htm

Here is a current day super note the upper wing Oswego doesn't run the wing but most other tracks do that I have seen them at This was at Berlin Raceway MI my stomping gounds.

Berlin019.jpg

This is a really great build you have going, I wish you lots of luck, it isn't a very easy car to replicate. I saw this car race in person in the late eighties in Madera CA. by then it had changed hands, & was being driven by Chet Filip, & I beleive he was the owner at that time.

This is a really great build you have going, I wish you lots of luck, it isn't a very easy car to replicate. I saw this car race in person in the late eighties in Madera CA. by then it had changed hands, & was being driven by Chet Filip, & I beleive he was the owner at that time.

That's cool that you got a chance to see it in person I wish I would have been able to see the car run. I do remember reading that it was sold and eneded up in CA I have an article about the guy that found the car in CA years later in a wine vineyard of all places and brought it home with plans to restore it to the original Shampine Car I can't think of his name right now I will have to find the article. I can scan you a copy I you like? Since you saw the car in person do you know of any pictures of the CA version of the car?? I would be interested in what it looked like I know the body changed based on a pic of the car in the article I have but is of the car sitting in the wine vineyard.

Edited by MZ 500

Hey all I'm new to the form and this is one of my projects. It is a rear engine Super modified that was built and drivin by Jim Shampine back in 1979. Thanks for looking there are a ton of grate projects on here I don't know why I didn't join up sooner.

Matt

This brings back memories for me. I actually sat in that car as a young boy. I was 15 year old when That car ran and used to hang out at Jim's auto parts store in Liverpool NY. He had the car there one day when I was there and he let me sit in it. I Really miss Jim a lot.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Guys,

Some pics of the front end stuff I have been working on (shocks and radius rods) I still have to do some cleanup work to refine the parts but at least I am moving forward. I also added some mounting brackets to the front axel B)

000_0554.jpg

000_0551-1.jpg

Edited by MZ 500

• 2 weeks later...

Well the front axel assembly is pretty much wrapped up. On to the rear end and the goofy two driveshaft setup I will explain more on that later.

My little girl Shelly also came down to the shop to see what I was working on.

100_6670.jpg

100_6667.jpg

100_6664.jpg

100_6661.jpg