Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '71 Charger R/T

revshag

I only want it for the carter carbs. Unless they are available in resin.

There is only one included in the kit, but it's a two-piece part.

The 1/24 Monogram '71 Satellite kit includes a Carter Thermoquad carb, too, which is nicely done.

I didn't see this mentioned yet but one of the biggest issues from the original release, in an otherwise superbly detailed kit, was the fact that the front tire and wheel combination, if built stock from the kit, was not centered in the wheelwell. The builder would have to cut the pins from the spindles and relocate to center the tires. Has this been corrected on this latest issue or is it still a problem?

I don't think it was, Wayne, and I think there is a model in Model Cars: Under Glass where the builder mentioned Tim Boyd's magazine article which contained the information on how to correct the wheelbase issue.

• 2 weeks later...

This was the kit that got me back into the hobby.

It wasn't that I particularly wanted to build a '71 Charger, I just wanted to build a model car again.

I picked a good one by chance and from then on it was off down the slippery slope to my 2nd childhood model kit obsession.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't looked into the box of my kit for long time. But from what I remember the inner fenders are totally wrong for a b/e-body Mopar up to and including the 72 model year. Chrysler changed them for the 73 model year, maybe this is what the kit depicts.

I think the main problem on converting it to any other version than the R/T is the side gills in the doors. This is R/T only. Even for a Super Bee these have to be filled in. I still haven't decided if I glue cut-to-fit plastic strips in them or just plain fill it with putty. Anyway it might be seen after the paint is on.