Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '71 Charger R/T

revshag

Hey gang,

I emailed Round2 with a random inquiry about a re-release of the 71 Charger kit. I was very surprised to get a quick response from John Greczula saying that is currently in production and will be available in October or November. Just wanted to pass this on.

Chris

Great news! That '71 Charger kit is one of AMT's best kits, along with the '71 Duster. I wonder if they will re-release the '71 Duster too?

As for me, they can mold it in any color they want, that doesn't really bother me.

wow it seems like the street machine version was issued only like 5 yrs ago but I'm probably wrong, lol. These kits a super easy to find, I wonder why they're reissuing it? I still have a factory sealed one that needs built, plus two more rebuilders lol. Somebody needs to retool a correct 1970 and 1973/74 Charger already, there's enough '68, '69, and '71s to go around lol. While they're at it they should do a '70-'71 Dart Swinger and Dodge Demon too. Not everyone wants to shell out the $$ for a resin conversion kit ;)

Edited by MB_ChargerChick

Round2 could possibly make the kit a 2-n-1 and include the parts from the "street machine" version that they offered. the only good part of that particular version of the kit was that it came with decals to build a Super Bee and it came with the parts to build an aftermarket Stage V Hemi headed 440. forgettable features of that kit were the lowering blocks for just the rear and some lame looking aftermarket wheels. to build an accurate Super Bee required some resin aftermarket parts but at one point those were available.

Dave

I think the decals are not so great in the street machine version. I used a set of keith marks '71 superbee decals to build my superbee, which are way better in my opinion. Other good parts I like that are in the street machine kit is the ramcharger hood and the bazooka exhaust tips, they should really include those parts in the re-issue.

And I agree about the lame looking wheels.

Edited by Bruno

wow it seems like the street machine version was issued only like 5 yrs ago but I'm probably wrong, lol. These kits a super easy to find, I wonder why they're reissuing it? I still have a factory sealed one that needs built, plus two more rebuilders lol. Somebody needs to retool a correct 1970 and 1973/74 Charger already, there's enough '68, '69, and '71s to go around lol. While they're at it they should do a '70-'71 Dart Swinger and Dodge Demon too. Not everyone wants to shell out the $$ for a resin conversion kit :lol: I feel the same way,The 71-72 Demons are one of my favorite cars of all time,The Dart Swinger is a no brainer there,IT Needss to be done,Come come on someone!Make it already!

Great news! That '71 Charger kit is one of AMT's best kits, along with the '71 Duster. I wonder if they will re-release the '71 Duster too?

As for me, they can mold it in any color they want, that doesn't really bother me.

if anyone needs them I have some amt 1971 Dusters to trade off

Chuck

Pack Rat, can you give us any more details? Will it be a 2 in 1?

d4_1_b-vi.jpgamt30054-vi.jpg

It isn't a 2 in 1, it's the stock-only version. The decal sheet is modified...the black hood graphic has been re-shaped for a better fit and the sheet now includes the black hash marks on the doors...plus a few bonus drag class markings.

Does anyone make the flat hood for these? I was also wondering, are the differences between a 1971 and '72 substantial?

I'd be inclined to do a standard or SE 318-powered car.

Charlie Larkin

Time Machine Resin has a flat 1973 Charger hood that can easily be adapted to fit the kit.

I was also wondering, are the differences between a 1971 and '72 substantial?

Charlie Larkin

In scale , there are enough differences to make a conversion a bit of a task , but not an impossible one ; here's a list of what needs changed / modified :

- side marker lamps . pull a foil impression of of the recently re-released AMT '76 Dart Sport

( called a "1975 Duster Hardtop" on its box ) ;

- doors . either smooth 'em out , or make some of the '72-only Charger Rallye doors ;

- engines were painted Chrysler Engine Blue with orange air cleaners ( regular motors -- slant six , 318 and 400 two barrel -- were blue with a semi-gloss air cleaner );

- the centre caps for the Rallye wheels changed to a flower-shaped design ;

- an evaporative emissions canister ( col. , charcoal canister ) was added to the passenger-side of the engine compartment ;

- a coolant recovery tank was an option ; it was added to the passenger-side of the radiator , against the radiator itself .

Certainly , there are many more subtle changes ( esp in 1:1 scale ); however , in scale those changes are a little less important ( not easily recognised ) .

A conversion to a '72 has been on my list of kits to build for many years now ( ever since this kit was released !! ) . The most difficult part would be the addition of the '72-only Rallye doors ...

resin casters , are you listening ? How difficult would it be to cast some doors based-upon the MPC annual of the '72 Charger ?

Missing link has the flat hood & power bulge hood along with the '71 SUPER BEE conversion. They are cast in industrial grade white resin. Check out the link missinglinkrc.com if the link is down, try info@missinglinkrc.com + Kevin's a swell guy to deal with. Todd