Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sam Hollingsworth 1957 Nomad

Darin Bastedo

I can remember setting at the kitchen table, maybe around and ’69 or ’70 watching my Dad build a ’57 Nomad. Man, how I loved that model. The patience he showed, and taught to me – amazing when I think about it. I digress. :D Hey Great work you're doing!!!

• 4 months later...

no pictures in this update but there will be soon pics of the first color coat as I'm finishing all the nitty-gritty small flaws in the bodywork. But I thought I would post this important warning to anyone building any version of the Revell 1957 Chevies...

Be Very careful with the rear fender openings. They are molded very thin!!

...I accidentally cracked on while handling the body during this conversion. the bodywork would be done now if not for a very tedious repair to this area.

Darin-

The work you are doing is simply stunning. I, too, love this car. I went to a buddy of mine's house once in the early 90's and he was showing me some of his kits stashed away in his closet. He told me I could pick one ( I already had close to 300 of my own at this time). Up on the top shelf was this kit. I had never seen it before and I also fell in love with the box art. Needless to say he wouldn't let me have it! Instead I picked out an old MPC 70 Firebird Trans Am kit. (nice box art too).

Have you ever thought about building a replica of Larry Watson's 55 Chevy "Seaweed"? That's the one I'm planning for.

Keep it up. I'm watching.

Later-

Have you ever thought about building a replica of Larry Watson's 55 Chevy "Seaweed"? That's the one I'm planning for.

Keep it up. I'm watching.

Later-

I haven't but on the list of possible custom replicas is Larry Watson's 58 t-bird, Ed Roth's 57 chevy, Mox's 58 Impala.

I finally got some color on Sam's Nomad. The base color is a light gold lamborghini Color called Oro Chiaro Metallic which is a close match to the original color used on the 1:1. Because the paint job is what makes this car I gave the paint and prep just a bit more attention than usual.

Aside from block sanding the whole body to remove any waves and ridges I even went as far as to polish out the primer so there would be as smooth a surface as possible.

IMG_2597-vi.jpg

using light coats and careful application I laid down several coats of the light gold paint.

IMG_2604-vi.jpg

IMG_2605-vi.jpg

IMG_2606-vi.jpg

Here is the modern clone of The Sam Hollingsworth Nomad in the same stage of completion.

nomad003vi-vi.jpg

Next I will clear coat this color, polish out the paint once again, and then lay out the graphics.

Today I masked off the flames with BMF, and shot it with a coat of clear to hopefully prevent bleed under, then I sprayed it with candy metallic rootbeer amber to match the second color of the paintjob. Tomorrow I will take off the BMF and start fogging in the detailing.

IMG_2608-vi.jpg

Here she is with the tape off. Whenever you do two-tone paint there is some bleed-through that happens no matter how well you burnish down the mask. By hitting it with clear first the clear bleedsthrough and clogs the cappilaries so that the colored paint can't get through. I still have some fogged in detail to do but here she is for now.

IMG_2610-vi.jpg

IMG_2611-vi.jpg

Here she is with the tape off. Whenever you do two-tone paint there is some bleed-through that happens no matter how well you burnish down the mask. By hitting it with clear first the clear bleedsthrough and clogs the cappilaries so that the colored paint can't get through. I still have some fogged in detail to do but here she is for now.

IMG_2610-vi.jpg

IMG_2611-vi.jpg

Well done mate! I tried this technique earlier today and it came up a treat, this is looking great mate. Looking forward to the finished product

I do the same thing but not with clear. I always use one more light coat of the color that I applied. That way, any paint that should bleed through under the tape doesn't show. I feel that the clear is thicker than the color so the buildup is a tad bit less on the paint edges. We do the same thing on the 1:1 bikes and cars we paint in the garage.

Oh and this is some fine work you've done here Darin....real fine indeed!