Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Street 5th gen Camaro

Frank,

Excellent job on the intake and carbs. Are those the carbs you sent out for chrome plating?

Nope... These are mock-up carbs only. They're Spaz Stix painted. The valve cover in the pictures aren't the final one's, either. I'm having a more accurate set machined out of aluminum for it.

Edited by camarobuilder

I just looked at what you said about these carbs that you painted.

Did you send any parts to Chrome Tech in the past or is this the first time? I look forward to your thoughts on their plating.

The engine looks great so far, but with actual machined aluminum valve covers it's going to look incredible!

I just looked at what you said about these carbs that you painted.

Did you send any parts to Chrome Tech in the past or is this the first time? I look forward to your thoughts on their plating.

The engine looks great so far, but with actual machined aluminum valve covers it's going to look incredible!

Yes, I've had stuff done by chrome tech in the past with great results. I've never had anything resin done, though. Most in this forum seem to agree that they do good with it too.

Frank

have you given any thought to putting the carbs on the intake top at an angle?

the carbs look awesome painted with the Spaz Stix too, plated they may be too bright.

Yes, I tried doing them both angled and square. In the end, I think they just looked better square.

The biggest problem with the Spaz Stix is, it's not very durable. It does rub off a little easy.

Frank

Frank, hey bud, your build is looking super!! look forward to your awesome detailing skills! Thanks as always for your support of my products!

Charlie

Pro Tech

Thanks, Charlie. I'm trying to gather all the best of everything for this project. Yes, I am using many of your products...Simply because of that fact...They're the best I can find. BTW, this build will also use your fuel junction block, and braided hose. I've always wiondered why nobody makes a linkage kit for the 2 carburetor set up??? I see SO MANY linkages that are set up wrong on models, or most just lack that detail at all.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

2971779420082984748S600x600Q85.jpg

Here's a picture of the first set of prototype machined aluminum valve covers from Jonny Taylor (JB Hobbies). I'm having him make a second set with a few changes. They will be polished to resemble the real covers. I've got a bunch of stuff ready to send to Chrome Tech for the engine.

I've been putting a little time into the body. I'm using the AMT body that I've been modifying. It now has a removeable front end, filled "mail slot", filled gas filler, filled mirror and wiper holes. I hate this part of any build the most. I'm not real good with filler, but I think this turned out OK. 2876746030082984748S600x600Q85.jpg

I think the front end looks better without the "mail slot"...

2925100700082984748S600x600Q85.jpg

Frank

Edited by camarobuilder

I really hate doing body work!...LOL. Most know that the AMT "06" Camaro is based off the concept car. The actual production car has a traditional gas filler door on the passenger side quarter panel. Since this model is a "Pro Street", It will use a fuel cell. To accomplish this, I wanted to fill the hole that the kit has on the top drivers side quarter for the concepts placement of the gas filler door. I also filled the wiper holes and the mirror holes.

2137203430082984748S600x600Q85.jpg

2178326630082984748S600x600Q85.jpg

2128710090082984748S600x600Q85.jpg

2724707520082984748S600x600Q85.jpg

I've pinned down the color I want it...It's HOK "Orion Silver" with HOK clear. I'm still looking for a good way to do the stripes. I originally wanted the HOK "Pavo Purple" to match the chassis cage, but I can't find a way to make the thin border stripes around the main stripes. i had Keith Marks make me a set of custom purple decals, but they reacted badly to my HOK (and other) clear coat. I photocopied a set of his decals on Testors photo paper, but the ink ran when I put them in water. I tried it again, but I clear coated them before cutting them from the sheet and submerging them. Here's one of my tests...

2792216440082984748S600x600Q85.jpg

Frank

Edited by camarobuilder

Interesting... Body work is fun until you must start sanding... That's horrible and boring. But this Camaro looks very nice, can't wait to see it finished... You can't see too much pro street style cars, and it's interesting car, new Camaro is really not my favourite, but when it's Drag Car, then it's very nice...

What did you use to make the interior tub?

I used flat styrene sheet for the floor and firewall. I'm using the kit door panels and VERY modified dash. The tubs are from the Monogram Reher Morrison/STP/Pennzoil/Frank Iaconio/White Lightning/Mean and Nasty Pro stock kit. The other pieces are made from sheet aluminum that I formed and polished.

Frank

I used flat styrene sheet for the floor and firewall. I'm using the kit door panels and VERY modified dash. The tubs are from the Monogram Reher Morrison/STP/Pennzoil/Frank Iaconio/White Lightning/Mean and Nasty Pro stock kit. The other pieces are made from sheet aluminum that I formed and polished.

Frank

Great work.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that engine looks like 1:1. I mean that those parts are looking like 1:1. Can't wait to see some paint on the engine, it looks very good already. That Moroso oil pan is very nice, and those valve covers too. Can't wait to see more, this one looks so great already... :angry:

Wow, that engine looks like 1:1. I mean that those parts are looking like 1:1. Can't wait to see some paint on the engine, it looks very good already. That Moroso oil pan is very nice, and those valve covers too. Can't wait to see more, this one looks so great already... B)

super job

• 1 month later...

Wow. I don't even like the new Camaros, but I like the progress you've made on this one, I like where it's going, and I can say with near complete certainty I'll like how it ends up! I've seen a few 5th gen models given the pro street/ pro stock treatment before, but never to this level! Should be killer when it's done!

Thanks for the kind words. I'm looking forward to getting back to this soon. Had to take some time off from it. I was recently in the hospital and while there, my vision got extremely blurry. I'm trying to get an appointment to get it figured out. Before I went in the hospital, I was working with JBOT to do some custom decals for the hood and deck lid stripes. I sent him a color sample of the Pavo Purple that I wanted them, and Jimbo nailed the design and color perfectly!. His work is top notch, and I would highly pecommend his stuff. I've got the aluminum valve covers final polished and I've got the right decals for them. Some of the parts are at Chrome Tech, getting plated.

Thanks,

Frank