Model Cars Magazine Forum

OLLIES new store opening in nc.

2 ollies stores opened earlier this year they are similar to big lots. the local store had some nice train and military models around 9.00 duplicolor paint .69 lot of other paint. lot of ho scale buildings, hot wheels .69 picked up an ecto 1,and bat mobile.if there is one near you check it out.

I have an Ollie's about 30 min away from me and I have yet to see any models in there. Been goin there off and on for several years now. Have gotten some really good deals on paint though.

they have opened 3 within 20 miles of me in the last 2 months they have had some models trains ,planes railroad buildings. no cars.

Im in South Carolina and did a search. Is it called Ollies bargain town or something like that? Kind of like a Big Lots store? Anything near Charlotte?

Drew

It's Ollie's Bargain Outlet. Basically it's where Big Lots inventory goes to die. They aren't owned by the same company, but I have transported entire trailer loads of random stuff Big Lots couldn't sell out of their main Columbus warehouse to the Ollie's warehouse outside of Harrisburg, PA.

Im in South Carolina and did a search. Is it called Ollies bargain town or something like that? Kind of like a Big Lots store? Anything near Charlotte?

Drew

Drew,

There is an Ollies' in Matthews, next to the Hobby Lobby. There are others in the greater Charlotte area but that is the only one I have been to.

Very much like a Big Lots, have to keep checking to see what they have.

Ollie's has been in my area (western NY) for three or four years now. The only times they have had model kits was two years ago (a few months after Wal-Mart cleared out their model kits) and last fall (when Testors got out of marketing kits under their name). The Wal-Mart clearout consisted of mostly AMT stuff like the WM-specific "Street, Strip, and Show" (or whatever they called it) series. I picked up a couple of the '65 Fairlane Modified Stocker kits (lots of parts in those that aren't shown on the box or in the instructions) and the ex-MPC dirt track cars (called a '36 Chevy on the box, but with a '34 Ford coupe inside). The Testors clearout included their diecast kits as well as the plastic Dodge Charger kits. With model kits having been pushed off of department store shelves, and supply adjusted to meet demand, it's unlikely that you'll see too many of them in closeout stores again. On the flip side, I have seen Duplicolor automotive touch-up sprays there from time to time. Most recently (a couple of months ago) they were $.59 per can. No primers, the most popular colors were probably picked over, but I have found ones there that I liked. Those unassembled "collectibles display cases" turn up there every so often, and I have also found closeout artists' supplies like paint brushes there too. It's worth stopping in every so often, and you should sign up for the e-mail flyers.

Drew,

There is an Ollies' in Matthews, next to the Hobby Lobby. There are others in the greater Charlotte area but that is the only one I have been to.

Very much like a Big Lots, have to keep checking to see what they have.

Very cool! I will check it out. Were planing to drive up and see the Ikea store after we sll our house ( soon!) and will check out Ollies then. Thanks! Drew C.