Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Firebird 400 - Finished - 3/23/07

Matt T.

I started this back in '05. What a beautiful kit Revell made with this one!

Mostly box stock except for wheels & tires - 15 & 16" American 200S "Daisy" mags from the Revell metal-body Fast & Furious '70 Charger kit. Since the mockup I've opted to use 1/24 treaded tires out back instead of these light-on-detail slicks.

DSC03970-vi.jpg

DSC03979-vi.jpg

Testors lacquer Nassau Blue with Testors lacquer clear. Didn't level out very well, but 3200 & 3600 polishing cloths knocked down the orange peel so 4000 - 12000 could do their magic.

After polishing & Meguiar's #7:

DSC04020-vi.jpg

DSC04014-vi.jpg

ps - a great match for late-'60s Pontiac engine blue is DupliColor "Ice Blue" in the touch up can.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I consider this paint job a win, since it was pretty bad off, pre-polishing.

Yeah, the hot rod guy's doing a street machine. :shock: Prior to this, my "newest" build was vintage 1957. I like late-'60s Pontiacs, second gen Trans Ams too. You know, mix it up a little.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I consider this paint job a win, since it was pretty bad off, pre-polishing.

Yeah, the hot rod guy's doing a street machine. :shock: Prior to this, my "newest" build was vintage 1957. I like late-'60s Pontiacs, second gen Trans Ams too. You know, mix it up a little.

Without a doubt... You have to mix it up! Modeling (for me , anyway) would be boring if I built the same thing over and over. A military guy I know ONLY builds Shermans and P-51 Mustangs... :?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks a lot guys!

Yeah, I like to pick a specific era to replicate when I build so the "period correct" comments mean a lot. This one is circa 1970. Plates will be '70 NY tags.

Marc, I'd love to see a street rod out of MPCM!